Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on AA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on AA flight

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...irlines-flight

Summary: Woman is seated next to a foreign-looking guy who doesn't want to chat and is making strange, unreadable scribbles on a notepad. She passes a note to a flight attendant, deplanes complaining of "illness", then tells the gate agents why she really deplaned. He's forced to deplane and be interrogated.

Of course, it turns out that he's an associate professor and award-winning economist at Penn. He's Italian. The strange scribbles on his notepad were equations he was trying to work out for a paper he was traveling to present.

At least the ending was slightly better than some we've seen here. She didn't re-plane (thought it's not clear if that was voluntary or involuntary). He was allowed to re-plane by the embarrassed pilot. Total delay: 2:47 for a flight only 0:41 in duration.

The best quote from the article is the tagline:

In America today, the only thing more terrifying than foreigners is…math.
I'm starting to think that we should start a thread just for Flying While Looking Foreign stories.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there should be a penalty for a person reporting things like this if the report turns out to be unfounded. People would be a lot better off if they just minded their own business. And yes, I do not agree with See Something, Say Something unless there is positive evidence to support the complaint.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think there should be a penalty for a person reporting things like this if the report turns out to be unfounded. People would be a lot better off if they just minded their own business. And yes, I do not agree with See Something, Say Something unless there is positive evidence to support the complaint.
The only way you can get away with imposing a penalty for reports like this is if you eliminate the "See Something, Say Something" campaign. Which, we both agree, is (a) not helping and (b) isn't going to go away.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:55 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The only way you can get away with imposing a penalty for reports like this is if you eliminate the "See Something, Say Something" campaign. Which, we both agree, is (a) not helping and (b) isn't going to go away.
Yep ....

Although ... is there anything stopping the professor from filing a civil suit against the other passenger (and, I guess, the airline)? (other than being the 'bigger man'?)
Old May 7, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD
Although ... is there anything stopping the professor from filing a civil suit against the other passenger (and, I guess, the airline)? (other than being the 'bigger man'?)
You mean, other than the fact that (a) he doesn't know the name of the other passenger to file suit against, (b) it wasn't the other passenger who acted to take him off the plane, and (c) she'll have plausible deniability (which is all you need in a civil suit)?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You mean, other than the fact that (a) he doesn't know the name of the other passenger to file suit against, (b) it wasn't the other passenger who acted to take him off the plane, and (c) she'll have plausible deniability (which is all you need in a civil suit)?
As to your first assertion, she can be sued as Jane Doe, an unknown defendant, and later amend the complaint to allege her true name after her identity is obtained from the airline in the pretrial discovery process.

The other two points are factual issues best left for the fact finder - judge or jury - in the trial.
Old May 7, 2016, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a sad comment on our educational system that mathematics (or more specifically, a differential equation) looks like Arabic (or some similar foreign language associated with terrorism in peoples' minds) to someone.

Still, for years I've second guessed myself regarding professional-related reading materials that I bring on flights just in case some overly zealous person could look over my shoulder and raise an alarm about my work......and I don't even look "foreign."
Old May 7, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a sad comment on our educational system that mathematics (or more specifically, a differential equation) looks like Arabic (or some similar foreign language associated with terrorism in peoples' minds) to someone.

Still, for years I've second guessed myself regarding professional-related reading materials that I bring on flights just in case some overly zealous person could look over my shoulder and raise an alarm about my work......and I don't even look "foreign."
Oh, come on now! He was using Arabic numerals to do that math! And he was doing Al Gebra--"Al" in a name is usually Arabic!

He must be a terrorist!

Who knows, he might even have possessed weapons of maths instruction!

(And I won't blame her, but the airline. There always will be stupid reports from things being misinterpreted, they should take more care in filtering them out.)
Old May 7, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

You look foreign somewhere.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

Who knows, he might even have possessed weapons of maths instruction!
That is awesome!
Old May 7, 2016, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Oh, come on now! He was using Arabic numerals to do that math! And he was doing Al Gebra--"Al" in a name is usually Arabic!
From Dictionary.com:
Word Origin and History for algebra

n.
1550s, from Medieval Latin algebra, from Arabic al jebr "reunion of broken parts," as in computation, used 9c. by Baghdad mathematician Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi as the title of his famous treatise on equations ( "Kitab al-Jabr w'al-Muqabala" "Rules of Reintegration and Reduction"), which also introduced Arabic numerals to the West. The accent shifted 17c. from second syllable to first. The word was used in English 15c.-16c. to mean "bone-setting," probably from Arab medical men in Spain.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeesh. Guess I'll think twice about working in a Linux shell on my laptop while flying. Wouldn't want the wrong person seeing my bash, gunzip, or killall commands.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:22 pm

Summary: Woman is seated next to a foreign-looking guy who doesn't want to chat and is making strange, unreadable scribbles on a notepad.
That is a key element missing from the headline/soundbite versions of the story. A curt seatmate, as described in the article, definitely raises concern.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by davie355
That is a key element missing from the headline/soundbite versions of the story. A curt seatmate, as described in the article, definitely raises concern.
Nonsense.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
How so? I don't care for idle conversations with strangers. May be a character flaw on my part but is certainly no threat to anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.