Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP wants to fine US citizens for US entry without passport/WHTI-approved ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

As has legally been the case for decades and is still the case currently, US citizens cannot be fined for entering the US without a US passport or other US ID approved under the the so-called Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative of the US.

CBP wants to undermine the rights of recognized US citizens to freely be admitted into the US without a passport, EDL, passport card, NEXUS card or other DHS-issued ID of some sort.

Title: ●Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-Noncompliant Traveler Fee

Abstract:
This rule proposes amendments to the Department of Homeland Security regulations to establish a user fee to cover the inspection costs of processing U.S. citizens seeking entry at U.S. land border ports-of-entry without documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Additionally, this rule proposes to update the regulation regarding the establishment of projects for the charging of a land border fee for inspection services.
http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAg...&RIN=1651-AB06

I'm opposed to more government fees for Americans to re-enter the US, so I don't fancy this proposed rule either.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 23, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Is this a solution looking for a problem to solve?

Seriously - does this happen on a frequent basis?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Is this a solution looking for a problem to solve?

Seriously - does this happen on a frequent basis?
It happens every day, multiple times a day at some ports of entry. But the daily number of the proposal-targeted (non-exempted) US citizens entering the US without WHTI-approved docs amounts to well less than 1% of US citizens admitted into the US daily. Still, it would be closer to 0 than 1%. Most such incidents, however, happen at land ports of entry.

The proposed rule is indeed a "solution" in search of a "problem". The driver behind this proposed rule is to reduce WHTI circumvention by way of allowing the government to be able to punish individual Americans who otherwise wouldn't be subject to the kind of WHTI-circumventing penalties/fines that are applicable for common carriers such as the airlines.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 23, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How much is the proposed fee?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
How much is the proposed fee?
They don't know yet, and the amount of the fee is something they are still going have to determine. For now, there is no fine/fee; and the amount of a fine/fee for US citizens returning without WHTI-compliant US ID won't be proposed until later.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:47 pm

They are just finding ways to make money from (unsuspecting) travelers.

With the world economy stagnant and in the gutters everywhere, Govts will have to come up with ways to make money, and "every little bit helps".
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Perhaps it is to put teeth in blackmail of the recalcitrant states who refuse to issue "Real-ID."
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think this has much of anything to do with the RealID issue at all. There are a whole lot more hassles out there for those folks if it ever comes to pass and it simply isn't likely.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greentips
Perhaps it is to put teeth in blackmail of the recalcitrant states who refuse to issue "Real-ID."
Not very effective at doing so, if that is what they were attempting.

Apparently some haven't appreciated the word more broadly getting out that there is no legal penalty for US citizens re-entering the US without a US passport or any other WHTI-compliant US ID.

This is less about REAL ID than it is about trying to force more US citizens to comply with WHTI when it comes to land/sea border crossings.

I hope that this proposal and any fine/fee for such crossings into the US by US citizens ends up squashed.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:17 am

What actually happens at the moment when a citizen tries to enter without a US document? Just secondary inspection? Harassment? Strip searches?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
What actually happens at the moment when a citizen tries to enter without a US document? Just secondary inspection? Harassment? Strip searches?
It depends, but the secondary (if any) has not involved me being harassed or even subjected to extraordinary searches of my person or belongings beside that which I presented for ID/citizenship purposes. I am asked about my citizenship, my ID and for things that provide evidence toward my citizenship, ID, residence and a mix of questions depending on what I have on hand to present or not.

Expired passport, certified copy of US birth certificate and current driving license and my mention of a few things was more than enough to get me cleared within minutes. But it could also take hours for some -- mostly wait time.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Expired passport, certified copy of US birth certificate and current driving license and my mention of a few things
Do they ask you questions a Canadian would know? Like "Explain the infield fly rule" or something like that?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Do they ask you questions a Canadian would know? Like "Explain the infield fly rule" or something like that?
No. Things like SSA number, stuff about the city of residence, place of birth, parents' citizenship, and so on.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
That just indicates that you're a colossal nerd.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:33 am

I have a feeling that it'll cost them far more to process any fines levied than actual income taken in by this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.