Louisville - SDF - what's going on there?

Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Louisville - SDF - what's going on there?

Flew back from SDF last Saturday. BDO before the id check, chatting up everyone in line. Asked me where I was going. I responded why did she want to know? She said it's a question they ask everyone. I said home. She then started off on how home was good, etc.

I fly out of Louisville about 4/5 times a year. Every time, it seems there is something strange going on. Time before last, they were pulling every male of color out of line and hand searching. One young man had a metal empty water bottle that they confiscated. (I hung around listening to what they were doing as long as I could.) One time, despite long lines, the Pre line was shut down and there were armed TSA agents (I think they were TSA) roaming around the screening area.

I've never seen anything like this at Memphis or Cleveland. Is there something special about Louisville?

(I'm not sure this is the right forum, but none of the others looked more correct.)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manneca
Flew back from SDF last Saturday. BDO before the id check, chatting up everyone in line. Asked me where I was going. I responded why did she want to know? She said it's a question they ask everyone. I said home. She then started off on how home was good, etc.

I fly out of Louisville about 4/5 times a year. Every time, it seems there is something strange going on. Time before last, they were pulling every male of color out of line and hand searching. One young man had a metal empty water bottle that they confiscated. (I hung around listening to what they were doing as long as I could.) One time, despite long lines, the Pre line was shut down and there were armed TSA agents (I think they were TSA) roaming around the screening area.

I've never seen anything like this at Memphis or Cleveland. Is there something special about Louisville?

(I'm not sure this is the right forum, but none of the others looked more correct.)
Idiocy?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:45 am

TSA probably thinks there's a terrorist cell targeting Louisville.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you had said "Memphis" you would have a 3-second interaction rather than 2 interactions toalling however long.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
If you had said "Memphis" you would have a 3-second interaction rather than 2 interactions toalling however long.
But I wasn't going to Memphis. And the interaction didn't last that long. It was over long before I got to the id checker. And she spent a lot more time interacting with the people ahead of me in line than she did me

And how is your response responsive to my question of why this is going on in Louisville and no where else that I've seen?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

I fly out of Louisville all of the time and have yet to experience this one. Typically sail through pre-check without issue.

If anything I've noticed a bit more "small talk" either at TDC and sometimes a two striper (likely BDO) trying to engage pax in small talk prior to TDC. For the main (non pre-check) security line, I sometimes see a two striper positioned before TDC greeting/engaging pax and telling them which TDC agent to go to.

Never been asked where I was going, typically just a "Good morning, How are you?"

All that said, I've seen them do a lot of strange things in the past including hiding an ETD machine around the corner to the main line and rushing out to ETD swab pax prior to even reaching TDC.

SDF
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:57 pm

I really wonder if it's legal for them to use an ETD swab prior to entering a "TSA custody" area.

In various law suits, a passenger consents to screening (and cannot back out) once he or she places his belongings on an x-ray belt. After the TSA introduced ID inspection, one falls into TSA custody by presenting an ID card to the TDC.

I think they could get burned if they're swabbing passengers or baggage prior to that step.

But I'm referring to court cases and constitutional law. We all know that the TSA is unfamiliar with the concepts of legal precedent and constitutionality.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Mats
I really wonder if it's legal for them to use an ETD swab prior to entering a "TSA custody" area.

In various law suits, a passenger consents to screening (and cannot back out) once he or she places his belongings on an x-ray belt. After the TSA introduced ID inspection, one falls into TSA custody by presenting an ID card to the TDC.

I think they could get burned if they're swabbing passengers or baggage prior to that step.

But I'm referring to court cases and constitutional law. We all know that the TSA is unfamiliar with the concepts of legal precedent and constitutionality.
I don't see why it wouldn't be LEGAL, I mean, I can set up an ETD machine on the street and ask to swab people's hands. If they refused to let people into line without consenting to the swab, that might be a problem, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.