Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Attempted pat-down search of 14 year old girl without parental consent

Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to know which person in authority to bring this up with. It happened in YVR, at the domestic-to-US-connections carry-on baggage screening area just before U.S. customs pre-clearance.

My 14 year old daughter was randomly selected for a pat-down search. The way it should work is they notify me of this, and ask my permission, and I observe the pat-down search.

The way it happened is I saw (but didn't hear) the security person directing my daughter to hold her arms out for a pat-down search. I intervened and told the security person not to touch my daughter until I was there to observe her (I was attending to my carry-on luggage at the time). A moment later I turned around and the security person was doing a pat-down search on my daughter with my wife observing.

I don't know what the rules are but it seems common sense that anyone anywhere asks a parent's permission before touching their child.

I would like to bring this up with whoever is in charge but I don't know anything about the organizational structure and who to address this to. I believe the people doing the screening were CATSA employess but I am not sure.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why didn't you ask to speak to the senior security manager?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Your wife was observing, you said.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Was expecting some drama when seeing this topic, not common sense by TSA. Wife watching and daughter 14 years old.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...more importantly, why not do something about it at the time, not come banging about it on FT after the fact when what you'll get at most is some wet letter of the 'our high standards' variety.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
<It's that type of behavior> that's to blame for the long security lines. Why should TSA and possibly dozens of people in the line wait for you to attend to your carry-on first, especially since your wife is present with your daughter?

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 21, 2016 at 5:05 pm Reason: Overly personalized
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/contact-us would seem to put you in touch with someone you can complain to.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Is your wife in some way incapable of observation ?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:56 pm

I think as the dad asked to be involved with this. YES TSA should respcet that. Yes the mom watched. So what . There was 2 parents.
I would do the do the same as this guy.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's complaint ought to be to a competent divorce attorney. Clearly his wife disobeyed his direct order by observing the pat down when OP had directed that it be he.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:03 pm

I was once a 14 year old girl. I would not personally cared what my parents consent to. I would have kicked any person doing this to me. And then screamed. When you are that young this is an insult BIG TIMES. So YES I understand the dad. The mom Maybe did not understand / Who knows.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
How does....complain...wife....what?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does this fourteen year old girl go on dates, or will she be allowed to date soon? If so, she's old enough to recognize what's appropriate and stand up for herself. Some fourteen year olds travel by themselves, without being in a UM program. I don't think a parent has the right to refuse a patdown for a kid of this age (if they want to fly that day) and if the mother was observing, I don't see why the OP father insisted on observing it personally himself.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:40 pm

I dont think it is appropriate to touch a 14 year old. We all mature in different way. but have a stranger touching you. Sick. So what if parents say ok and the kid refuse. That happens. And it would sure happen to me if I was a teenager.I would not let any body touch me
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
By the way, was the security person female or male? If male, then OP would have a legitimate complaint, if female and one [step-?] parent was present it really is a non-issue IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.