Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long TSA Lines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
USA Today reporting that TSA lanes are getting longer: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...nes/873940001/
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by techie
USA Today reporting that TSA lanes are getting longer: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...nes/873940001/
The solution: sending a lot more passengers through as PreCheck type passengers. At ORD today again, they used dogs to make sure that those flying out of T3 could keep their shoes on and not remove anything to be sceeened even for those without Precheck boarding passes.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...reening-179643

With TSA on the ropes, holiday travel may be a bear

The Transportation Security Administration has bad news for tens of millions of Thanksgiving holiday travelers: Lines at airports may be even longer than usual as the agency tries once again to plug security holes in its baggage screening.
​​​​​​​Seems like new procedures and continuing TSA screening failures might account for some of the slowdowns people are experiencing.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by techie
Already being discussed here:
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The solution: sending a lot more passengers through as PreCheck type passengers. At ORD today again, they used dogs to make sure that those flying out of T3 could keep their shoes on and not remove anything to be sceeened even for those without Precheck boarding passes.
The linked article is about longer lines in the PreCheck lanes.

Please continue the discussion of longer lines in the PreCheck lanes in the above linked thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 22, 2017 at 4:02 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At ORD T3 today what I saw was passengers in non-Precheck lanes being given Precheck type screening after the dog use. The PC lane seemed nearly empty but the non-PC lane anything but even as it moved faster because of the dog use allowing for more to end up being screened the PC way. Overall, the regular lanes get shorter/move faster when there’s is dog use to increase the proportion of passengers who get PC type screening — that’s what Chicago’s mayor claimed and it seems to be correct for ORD T3. Elsewhere could be a different story.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 22, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Was at MCO yesterday, went through security on both airsides. The second time it was late enough where there wasn't much people in the airport anyway so was through Precheck in about 5 minutes. First time I'm glad I had Precheck, took about 10 minutes. Hired third party checkers were checking non-Precheck lanes before ID check and if you weren't flying out in 2 hours or less, you got the boot. No one over in the Precheck entrance (thank goodness) but if you got up to the ID check and found you didn't have Precheck, the ID agent kicked you out and sent you all the way back to the non-Precheck entrance. Was happy to see that.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:10 am

LAX TBIT Wednesday night had everyone go through the WTMD only, with the NOS machines off. Carry-ons were unmolested, nothing out, and shoes stayed on. Not even the Kippie bags had to be removed, as I realized after the checkpoint I had forgotten to take mine out due to ingrained PreCheck habit.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems long TSA lines has risen its ugly head again. On the Flyertalk homepage is a link for the following article.

Long TSA Lines Account for More Missed Flights

The most shocking takeaway was the number of flyers who have missed at least one flight due to long checkpoint lines. 14 percent of all flyers, or one in seven, missed a flight in line. Among millennials, that number doubles: 28 percent of young flyers say they couldn’t catch a flight because of lines.
I believe that TSA makes the airport experience more dangerous for everyone. Stacking up a bunch of people anxious to make their flight can bring out all kinds of bad behavior. Then there is the well known lack of civility demonstrated by TSA employees to deal with and to top it all off if a terrorist(s) wanted to disrupt the transportation system see what happens if an attack on one or more security checkpoints was carried out at one or more airports across the country. With most folks having a cell phone it would be extremely easy to coordinate a massive attack on security lines across the country.

If the inconvenience of missing flights isn't bad enough look at the cost implications of 14% of missed flights. Those missed flights impacts the individual, the airline, the airport, and even things like business appointments, or other scheduled events.

TSA continues to make screening more difficult for passengers even deciding, with no public input, that powders have suddenly become an explosive threat item. Where is the evidence to support such claims?

For $8,000,000,000.00 (8 BILLION) tax dollars each year we get this TSA, and agency that makes the Three Stooges look like brain surgeons!

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 28, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:12 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems long TSA lines has risen its ugly head again.
I came through LAX Terminal 3 on this past Sunday in early afternoon. Lines were over 45 minutes long; one line split into two lines and then recombined to one line, then split into three lines (I know, made no sense to me either). And there was a dangerous, 50-gallon container of liquid "bombs" sitting alongside the lines, 90% full of bottles that had been "voluntarily surrendered", and the TSA had no concern for the safety of the pax being threatened by that "bomb" material.

On June 11 in mid-morning, LAX TBIT had lines that were 15 - 20 minutes -- one very long line that snaked around for a dog to smell the pax THREE TIMES, then we still had to go through MMW.

I believe that TSA makes the airport experience more dangerous for everyone. Stacking up a bunch of people anxious to make their flight can bring out all kinds of bad behavior. Then there is the well known lack of civility demonstrated by TSA employees to deal with...
Adding to that is the almost omnipresent warm temperatures in the checkpoints (even during winter) -- the equipment? -- that can fray nerves when confronted with TSA "efficiency" and "politeness" and "customer service" qualities. TSA is the worst part of traveling by air, by far.
petaluma1, altabello and Spiff like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing whether PreCheck is worth having were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
LAX TBIT Wednesday night had everyone go through the WTMD only, with the NOS machines off. Carry-ons were unmolested, nothing out, and shoes stayed on. Not even the Kippie bags had to be removed, as I realized after the checkpoint I had forgotten to take mine out due to ingrained PreCheck habit.
Were the dogs working the checkpoints? If not, isn't it interesting what TSA can do if they want to?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by KDS
I came through LAX Terminal 3 on this past Sunday in early afternoon. Lines were over 45 minutes long; one line split into two lines and then recombined to one line, then split into three lines (I know, made no sense to me either). And there was a dangerous, 50-gallon container of liquid "bombs" sitting alongside the lines, 90% full of bottles that had been "voluntarily surrendered", and the TSA had no concern for the safety of the pax being threatened by that "bomb" material.

On June 11 in mid-morning, LAX TBIT had lines that were 15 - 20 minutes -- one very long line that snaked around for a dog to smell the pax THREE TIMES, then we still had to go through MMW.

Adding to that is the almost omnipresent warm temperatures in the checkpoints (even during winter) -- the equipment? -- that can fray nerves when confronted with TSA "efficiency" and "politeness" and "customer service" qualities. TSA is the worst part of traveling by air, by far.

Were non-Pre pax pulling all food, electronics larger than a cellphone and powders and putting them in separate bins?

I can see the potential for big slowdowns as the powder restrictions are implemented, because I suspect the 'rules' will be a complete free-for-all. At least with liquids, you knew that generally you could take as much as you could fit in a Kippie bag, as long as it was in <3.1 ounce containers. It's not clear how TSOs are going to calculate the total volume of powders if you have, for example, multiple small packets of supplement powders as well as personal product powders instead of one clearly labelled container <350ml.

Will a screener confiscate my powders (all of them) if he thinks they look bigger than a soda can when they are piled together, even if the actual amounts total to less than the limit? I doubt that many are willing or able to stand there and add up the various amounts printed on individual packets and containers.

One example: a friend travels with individual prescription packets of a medical powder. The packets (sealed and sterile, obviously) are 4 grams each. How is TSA going to handle this?

Last edited by chollie; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Were the dogs working the checkpoints? If not, isn't it interesting what TSA can do if they want to?
Nope. There were no dogs out during the inspection. This was back on Nov 22, 2017.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Tsk, tsk.

Are you folks really going to believe the word of random disgruntled pax or TSA's own spokesperson, Mike England?

Re: wait times. Far be it from me to cast doubt on the pronouncements of our fine folks at TSA, but I'd like to see the facts behind the repeated TSA statements that average wait times are no more than 20 minutes. I suspect they offset 45+ minute waits at large airports with minimal waits at small airports that service only RJs and/or run very few flights per day. At the very least, the stats should be broken down according to the relative size of the airport and the traffic it handles, but those stats might more closely resemble pax reports.

I do not ever recall reading about 2-hour waits at a small airport like PSC, for example.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Tsk, tsk.

Are you folks really going to believe the word of random disgruntled pax or TSA's own spokesperson, Mike England?

Re: wait times. Far be it from me to cast doubt on the pronouncements of our fine folks at TSA, but I'd like to see the facts behind the repeated TSA statements that average wait times are no more than 20 minutes. I suspect they offset 45+ minute waits at large airports with minimal waits at small airports that service only RJs and/or run very few flights per day. At the very least, the stats should be broken down according to the relative size of the airport and the traffic it handles, but those stats might more closely resemble pax reports.

I do not ever recall reading about 2-hour waits at a small airport like PSC, for example.
Where does the time measurement begin and how often does TSA measure wait times? Does TSA measure during slack times? TSA can manipulate the reported wait times to be any number wanted.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 30, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.