Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck is dying a slow and painful death

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck is dying a slow and painful death

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by garkster
So, it would be really helpful if you would cite which terminals at the large airports (LAX, JFK) this occurred.

Also, a contractor (http://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/safety-security) handles security at SFO so technically it's not TSA. At terminal 3 (multiple checkpoints) and International G I've never seen Pre-Check not available, so I'd really like to know where this occurred.
You might watch @AskTSA. People are starting to post photos of the long lines at different times and airports and terminals.

AskTSA advises people to arrive two hours early. One tweeter waited two hours in the checkpoint line.

Neffenger should be fired. He has clearly ordered a work slowdown.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by chollie
You might watch @AskTSA. People are starting to post photos of the long lines at different times and airports and terminals.

AskTSA advises people to arrive two hours early. One tweeter waited two hours in the checkpoint line.

This.

A few days ago, a passenger was told to arrive 3 hours early, but it seems as if TSA knew that wouldn't be acceptable to passengers so since then they have stuck to the 2 hour advice - which they have been saying for several years now.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:10 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
It's amazing to me how a smaller airport such as FNT can keep PreCheck lane open at all times that the checkpoint is open. And then EWR concourse B Delta hasn't been open since the first two times I flew out of there right after the lane was created back in 2014. TSA serves no purpose that is viable, useful, or desirable.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by chollie
What direct evidence do you have that he ordered the code red?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I agree that it is probably not the head of the TSA who is really at fault. Right from the beginning there formed at the TSA a high level of entrenched bureaucracy. These are people who know how to stake out their territory and control it forever. They are virtually un-fireable. It took an Act of Congress to create the TSA and it will take another Act to get rid of it. I'm not sure how successful it would be to try and de-fund the TSA.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I would term it a work slow down or code red but Neffenger has certainly signaled that checkpoints need to slow down to better enable screeners to find things.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/03/01/...appropriations

A disproportionate focus on efficiency and speed in screening operations rather than security effectiveness powerfully influenced organizational culture and officer performance.
I think a reasonable person could connect that sudden checkpoint backups and slow downs have been directed. It's not just one airport but similar reports are coming from across the country. Coincidence? I think not.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:17 pm

It's all through Neffenger's written testimony of last summer.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/07/29/...hearing-titled

Increase manual screening measures, including reintroducing hand-held metal detectors to resolve alarms at the checkpoint. This has been underway since mid-June.
Also:

In an interview with the New York Times prior to the hearing, Mr Neffenger implied the agency had focussed excessively on airport speed, at the expense of security. “Efficiency and getting people through airport security lines cannot be our sole reason that makes you take your eyes off the reason for the mission,” he said. Other current and former TSA employees confirmed to the paper that rapidity had become the top priority. “One day it was, ‘We want to thoroughly check everybody, even if the line is backed up to the ticket counter,’” said a former screener at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago. “But a short time later, it was, ‘We have to get these people through the lines.’”
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulli...curity-america

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 6, 2016 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:21 pm

There is another problem with TSA Pre........and that's before you even have to deal with a line...and that is being registered, but the boarding pass comes out with no indication that you are TSA Pre.

Usually, it is something really stupidly simple, like the lack of a middle initial, or forgetting to put "Jr." or "Dr.".....and it has to be an exact match between the reservation and the "official" name you registered the TSA Pre under.

There is nothing that airline agents can do to override this.....except, possibly, for doing a total reissue of a ticket(which is a time-consuming hassle). And by that time, you could have gotten through the regular line.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:22 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Sorry, traveling today, so my TSA hackles are raw....

What direct evidence has the TSA got that says I'm a terrorist / bad guy every time I want to board a plane and therefore must be searched EVERY TIME -- and I must prove by submitting to the search that I'm not what I've been accused of being?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
Sorry, traveling today, so my TSA hackles are raw....

What direct evidence has the TSA got that says I'm a terrorist / bad guy every time I want to board a plane and therefore must be searched EVERY TIME -- and I must prove by submitting to the search that I'm not what I've been accused of being?
TSA looks at everyone, known traveler or not, as a terrorist. That's probably the basic problem with TSA: everyone is considered guilty until they prove themselves innocent. Should be the other way around.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:30 pm
KDS

Originally Posted by petaluma1
TSA looks at everyone, known traveler or not, as a terrorist. That's probably the basic problem with TSA: everyone is considered guilty until they prove themselves innocent. Should be the other way around.
Agreed, except of course for the "special", "celebrity", "elected officials", "TSOs", "employees", etc. class of people who often are not even screened (or screened minimally). Not all of us travelers are equal....

( sigh ) My tagline is what I've thought of the TSA since the patdowns and NOSs were introduced as mandatory in October 2010.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Not sure I would term it a work slow down or code red but Neffenger has certainly signaled that checkpoints need to slow down to better enable screeners to find things.
And that's the point I'm trying to make.

If someone accuses Neffenger of ordering a slowdown deliberately to improve the chances of getting a funding increase, Neffenger can easily come back with "no, it's all about improving screening accuracy, because y'all keep complaining about the 95% failure rates in screening tests". Throw in a couple of flag-waiving 9/11 references, and most members of Congress will fold their hand completely.

If the charge is going to stick, the person raising the charge better have more evidence than this.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's the point I'm trying to make.

If someone accuses Neffenger of ordering a slowdown deliberately to improve the chances of getting a funding increase, Neffenger can easily come back with "no, it's all about improving screening accuracy, because y'all keep complaining about the 95% failure rates in screening tests". Throw in a couple of flag-waiving 9/11 references, and most members of Congress will fold their hand completely.

If the charge is going to stick, the person raising the charge better have more evidence than this.
There is some reasonable explanation for screening slowdowns across the country. I doubt Neffenger is stupid enough to overtly call for a slowdown but he could easily tell screeners to not worry about throughput but concentrate on thoroughness. The message would be understood and the result would still be slowdowns and backups which is exactly what's happening.

I'm open to other explanations but taking his testimony and statements on the matter into consideration it's pretty clear that he has put the word out that slowdowns are ok with him.

Same result!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:02 pm

Aug 11, 2015

I believe that the traveling public is willing to accept that there may be a slightly longer wait to ensure that they’re secure getting on the plane,” the TSA’s new administrator, Peter Neffenger, said during a visit to Atlanta on Tuesday.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Aug 11, 2015

I believe that the traveling public is willing to accept that there may be a slightly longer wait to ensure that they’re secure getting on the plane,” the TSA’s new administrator, Peter Neffenger, said during a visit to Atlanta on Tuesday.
Methinks he believes erroneously. Passengers seem to be in a uproar over the long lines.

So far, there's no evidence from the TSA Blog that more dangerous items are being confiscated from passengers by TSA. Then again, what I consider dangerous and what the TSA considers dangerous are two different animals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.