Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: May 6th - 12th

And while the TSA is touting their "finds", passengers are still stuck waiting in security lines in excess of two hours

• 68 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • A replica grenade was discovered in a carry-on bag this week at Denver (DEN)
  • Knives and throwing stars were discovered this week in a traveler's carry-on bag at LaGuardia (LGA)
  • Two cane swords were discovered this week in carry-on bags- one at Phoenix (PHX) and one at Baltimore (BWI).
  • Knives were discovered at: ORD, ORF, DTW, PHX and ORF
  • Ammunition was discovered in a carry-on bag at BWI

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/05/tsa-week...h-12th-68.html
Old May 23, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: May 13th - 19th

If that's an axe, then Babe The Blue Ox is as big as a hamster

• 56 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • An axe was detected in a carry-on bag at Las Vegas (LAS).
  • A cane sword with an 18-inch blade was detected in a carry-on bag at Atlanta (ATL)

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/05/tsa-week...h-19th-56.html
Old May 23, 2016, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
One major threat to aviation safety was narrowly averted this week, but may show up on your list at some time in the future.

AskTSA kindly advised a pax that a Harry Potter magic wand is not permitted in carry-on luggage because TSA considers it a weapon or a lifelike replica.

I can just see the scene on the plane now: screaming pax and a wild-eyed ten-year-old with owl eyeglasses waving his Harry Potter wand in a threatening manner.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by chollie
One major threat to aviation safety was narrowly averted this week, but may show up on your list at some time in the future.

AskTSA kindly advised a pax that a Harry Potter magic wand is not permitted in carry-on luggage because TSA considers it a weapon or a lifelike replica.

I can just see the scene on the plane now: screaming pax and a wild-eyed ten-year-old with owl eyeglasses waving his Harry Potter wand in a threatening manner.
We must have got lucky coming back from Disney World. The TSA didn't say anything about the plastic light saber my son was carrying. It even lights up and makes noises. Either they used common sense or nobody working had a kid who would have wanted it.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by spd476
We must have got lucky coming back from Disney World. The TSA didn't say anything about the plastic light saber my son was carrying. It even lights up and makes noises. Either they used common sense or nobody working had a kid who would have wanted it.
Or everyone's kid already has one.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: May 20th - 26th

I wonder if the TSA has contacted Guinness for their own chapter in the Book of World Records...

"A Record Breaking 74 Firearms Discovered in Carry-on Bags This Week"....

• 74 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • 98 firearm primers and 45 black powder pellets were detected in a carry-on bag at Boise (BOI).
  • Knives and throwing stars were discovered in carry-on bags at IAH, SAN, EWR, JFK, TPA, CHS and PVD

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/05/tsa-week...th-record.html
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: May 27th - June 2nd

Lipstick on a pig?

• 59 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Inert/Replica grenades were discovered in carry-on bags at Newark (EWR), Gulfport (GPT), Seattle (SEA) and Albany (ALB)
  • An inert grenade was also discovered in a checked bag at Salt Lake City (SLC)
  • A 30mm A-10 Warthog shell was discovered at Birmingham (BHM).
  • A 25mm round was discovered at Sonoma (STS).
  • A lipstick knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Albuquerque (ALB).
  • An 11-inch machete was discovered in a carry-on bag at Billings (BIL).

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/tsa-week...ne-2nd-59.html
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:02 am

Another wasted opportunity.

Instead of fabricating lies for media pundits to quote, TSA could offer real numbers that might possibly educate REAL travelers - the ones some TSOs continually complain don't know the unpublished rules and cause delays.

Tell us how many Harry Potter wands were confiscated ("lifelike replica weapon"). Tell us how many tiny sno-globes are still getting confiscated because of 'screener discretion'.

Tell us how many tent poles were confiscated after Ask TSA gave completely contradictory answers to questions that the robots and the actual posters apparently didn't understand in the first place. Of course, when in doubt, don't educate yourself - confiscate!

Hint to TSA: tent poles and tent stakes/pegs are not the same thing. I wonder what happens when a pax shows the TSO about to confiscate the poles that AskTSA says they are OK. Same thing that happened to me when I questioned why my nitro pills weren't permitted, even though they'd never been a problem before.

"Not at my checkpoint".

"That's not how we do it here".

"Everyone else does it wrong".

"My 'discretion' allows me to take anything of yours I want. DY...T?".

Last edited by chollie; Jun 6, 2016 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Lipstick on a pig?

• 59 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Inert/Replica grenades were discovered in carry-on bags at Newark (EWR), Gulfport (GPT), Seattle (SEA) and Albany (ALB)
  • An inert grenade was also discovered in a checked bag at Salt Lake City (SLC)
  • A 30mm A-10 Warthog shell was discovered at Birmingham (BHM).
  • A 25mm round was discovered at Sonoma (STS).
  • A lipstick knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Albuquerque (ALB).
  • An 11-inch machete was discovered in a carry-on bag at Billings (BIL).

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/tsa-week...ne-2nd-59.html

I wonder if they are smart enough to know that the A-10 round is depleted uranium and is radioactive -- less than the backscanner Cancer Boxes, but still shouldn't be stored in Blogdad Bob's trophy case.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wonder if they are smart enough to know that the A-10 round is depleted uranium and is radioactive -- less than the backscanner Cancer Boxes, but still shouldn't be stored in Blogdad Bob's trophy case.
This is a trick question, right?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: June 3rd - June 9th

Lipstick on a pig (redux)

• 67 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • 4 inert/replica grenades were discovered this week at Anchorage (ANC), Atlanta (ATL), Baltimore (BWI) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL).
  • A lipstick stun gun was discovered in a carry-on bag at Bob Hope (BUR).
  • A hatchet, knives and throwing stars were discovered at DAL, BUR, DTW, ABQ, DAL, LGA and ABQ

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/sixty-se...iscovered.html
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: June 10th - 16th

Snakes on a plane (fireworks snakes that is )

• 61 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Knives and throwing stars were discovered in a carry-on bag at Denver (DEN), SLC, DAL, ORD, RDU, ORD, PHX and ORD.
  • Fireworks were in a carry-on bag at Charleston (CHS)
  • 150 rounds of 9mm ammunition were discovered concealed in a power supply in a checked bag*
  • An axe was discovered concealed under the lining and wedged between the handle mechanism of a carry-on bag at Tampa (TPA).

*airport not named

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/tsa-week...h-16th-61.html
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:20 pm

Snakes on a plane (fireworks snakes that is )

...[*]An axe was discovered concealed under the lining and wedged between the handle mechanism of a carry-on bag at Tampa (TPA).[/LIST]
*airport not named

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/06/tsa-week...h-16th-61.html
Maybe someone had an axe to grind? <Sorry, couldn't pass that up!>
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Maybe someone had an axe to grind? <Sorry, couldn't pass that up!>
Damn! Why didn't I think if that as it would have made a much better post intro!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:54 am

Damn! Why didn't I think if that as it would have made a much better post intro!
With all due respect, you did have the fireworks to deal with; after all, they are something that can go "BOOM"!

Let's just bury the hatchet on that one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.