Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US passports' sex offender designation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:30 pm

My sympathies are now torn between illegal immigrants and sex offenders.

Which of these groups, in your view, deserves the support of FT the most?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
My sympathies are now torn between illegal immigrants and sex offenders.

Which of these groups, in your view, deserves the support of FT the most?
It has nothing to do with sympathy for sex offenders nor for irregular migration. It has to do with whether or not government should be frustrating the international travel rights of otherwise free US citizens.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:01 am

I agree with the above comment that Sex Offender critieria were becoming so
loose (and offenders so numerous) that the whole thing was becoming a runaway train, approaching 1 million people in the USA. California finally took the bull by the horns recently and stared implementing 10 or 15 or 20 year Sex Offender status (not lifetime) and for serious crimes, not Romeo and Juliet sex or mooning your frat buddies, or taking a leak on the edge of the river. Boy, Nathaniel Hawthorne saw that trend coming long ago.

Last edited by yandosan; Nov 5, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by yandosan
I agree with the above comment that Sex Offender critieria were becoming so
loose (and offenders so numerous) that the whole thing was becoming a runaway train, approaching 1 million people in the USA. California finally took the bull by the horns recently and stared implementing 10 or 15 or 20 year Sex Offender status (not lifetime) and for serious crimes, not Romeo and Juliet sex or mooning your frat buddies, or taking a leak on the edge of the river. Boy, Nathaniel Hawthorne saw that trend coming long ago.
But it's important to Be Tough On Crime!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://media.nj.com/centraljersey_im...oto/megan2.JPG

has an image of what is done.

I am pretty sure that passport control stamping authorities at foreign airports of entry almost never read that inside back cover/“endorsement” page on US passports. Perhaps the USG didn’t want the language placed on the biodata page as it is way more likely to then result in a US citizen’s beating, torture and/or death at the hands of foreign persons than with its dog and pony show placement on the IBC page.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 20, 2017 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I am pretty sure that passport control stamping authorities at foreign airports of entry almost never read that inside back cover/“endorsement” page on US passports. Perhaps the USG didn’t want the language placed on the biodata page as it is way more likely to then result in a US citizen’s beating, torture and/or death at the hands of foreign persons than with its dog and pony show placement on the IBC page.

That's the same place where they put:

"This is a second passport issued by the State Department under __ CFR ___" and
"This passport replaces a stolen passport."

No one reads those.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is pretty bad. Some US passport applicants have been issued passports with the sex offender warning language in it despite legally not being covered sex offenders for purposes of being required to have such marking in their passports. Now State is telling some such people to deal with DHS to get it straightened out before they can reapply for a new US passport/put in for a passport correction.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this statement will appear on passports of certain soon-to-be former members of Congress' passports?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wonder if this statement will appear on passports of certain soon-to-be former members of Congress' passports?
For current, former and future US federal legislators with a sex offender history, not all such histories are treated equally, but they are to end up flagged the same way if they are registered sex offenders of a sort.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Frank(en)ly, I resent your innuendo. This is not a joking matter.

wondering what happens if you take a scissor to the offending page.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is pretty bad. Some US passport applicants have been issued passports with the sex offender warning language in it despite legally not being covered sex offenders for purposes of being required to have such marking in their passports. Now State is telling some such people to deal with DHS to get it straightened out before they can reapply for a new US passport/put in for a passport correction.
Given the issue of false flagging of such designation on some US passports, DHS is also now informing people with complaints about the flagging being mistaken to communicate with DHS/ICE’s Angel Watch Center to get the matter reviewed.

Given how few adults review their passports’ last couple of pages and the IBC, especially if they’ve had a US passport before, I have to wonder not only how many mistakes have been made, but how frequently mistaken designations have gone unnoticed but deserved a complaint against the false flag designation.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
wondering what happens if you take a scissor to the offending page.
It's a felony.

18 U.S. Code § 1543 - Forgery or false use of passport

"Whoever … mutilates, or alters any passport …, with intent that the same may be used; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, or furnishes to another for use any such … mutilated, or altered passport … —
Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned … 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both."

Last edited by saizai; Oct 26, 2018 at 3:09 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saizai
It's a felony.

18 U.S. Code § 1543 - Forgery or false use of passport

"Whoever … mutilates, or alters any passport …, with intent that the same may be used; or
Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, or furnishes to another for use any such … mutilated, or altered passport … —
Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929(a) of this title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both."
.... and even if it weren’t a felony, the utility of doing so would be limited since the US uses flight manifests and flagged person/passport lists to “inform” the flight destination countries about US registered sex offenders travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.