FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Soft cheese at BRU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1734350-soft-cheese-bru.html)

dand99 Dec 26, 2015 11:33 am

Soft cheese at BRU

I guess I should have been better prepared, but into the bin went the "soft cheeses" at BRU (Brussels) security.

I had gone through ZRH with no problems, here the local TSA told me that "if we can press down with a finger on it, it's soft". I later noticed their website declared that "runny" cheeses are prohibited.

I really wish that at some point people will be wiling to assume responsibility for doing away with some of these stupid, archaic rules. Soft cheese is not OK, but a litre of liquid is OK ? (assuming I carry it in ten 100 ml bottles). Perhaps I should be grateful we are still allowed to wear shoes.

ClimbingCook Dec 26, 2015 11:47 am

What a completely arbitrary way to enforce the rule. Then again I had a TSA agent tell me that I could keep the container of hummus I was bringing on board because he liked oatmeal...

FliesWay2Much Dec 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by melkor (Post 25918238)
What a completely arbitrary way to enforce the rule. Then again I had a TSA agent tell me that I could keep the container of hummus I was bringing on board because he liked oatmeal...

I'm sure the cheese was a nice addition to his Boxing Day dinner.

dand99 Dec 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 25918522)
I'm sure the cheese was a nice addition to his Boxing Day dinner.

They must be feasting on soft cheese, peanut butter and mustard sandwiches for years.....

I posted not to rant (well, just a little bit....) but to have something googleable for "soft cheese brussels airport security" if someone looks.

petaluma1 Dec 27, 2015 5:22 am

Originally Posted by dand99 (Post 25918197)
I guess I should have been better prepared, but into the bin went the "soft cheeses" at BRU (Brussels) security.

I had gone through ZRH with no problems, here the local TSA told me that "if we can press down with a finger on it, it's soft". I later noticed their website declared that "runny" cheeses are prohibited.

I really wish that at some point people will be wiling to assume responsibility for doing away with some of these stupid, archaic rules. Soft cheese is not OK, but a litre of liquid is OK ? (assuming I carry it in ten 100 ml bottles). Perhaps I should be grateful we are still allowed to wear shoes.

Yet, here in the states at least, cheesecake is allowed but not a brick of cream cheese; a pecan pie is allowed but not a stick of butter, or 1/2 cup of molasses, both of which are ingredients in pecan pie.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Dec 27, 2015 10:02 am

It is quite arbitrary, in BOS one can bring cannolis from Mike's or Maria's through.

Carl Johnson Dec 28, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 25921342)
It is quite arbitrary, in BOS one can bring cannolis from Mike's or Maria's through.

You have to leave the gun, though.

nrr Dec 29, 2015 8:22 am

BRU (is a foreign location, so no [USA] TSA). The rules for US customs CBP, is cheese aged over 6 months is OK--but this a separate issue from airplane SECURITY.
I once had a "promotional" 1.5" Swiss army knife (blade was less than 1"), it cleared (USA) TSA lots of times, even ZRH (Switzerland:)) several times--BUT, once in ZRH they "detected" it and confiscated it.:td: The point on my ball point pen is probably more of a weapon than that knife.

dand99 Dec 30, 2015 6:55 am

Intersting, I never knew that about the cheese. I just knew I got waved on whenever I said "cheddar".

From a security point of view - I guess you can threaten someone with Gorgonzola ;)

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 25930084)
BRU (is a foreign location, so no [USA] TSA). The rules for US customs CBP, is cheese aged over 6 months is OK--but this a separate issue from airplane SECURITY.
I once had a "promotional" 1.5" Swiss army knife (blade was less than 1"), it cleared (USA) TSA lots of times, even ZRH (Switzerland:)) several times--BUT, once in ZRH they "detected" it and confiscated it.:td: The point on my ball point pen is probably more of a weapon than that knife.

Section 107 Dec 30, 2015 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dand99 (Post 25934965)
Intersting, I never knew that about the cheese. I just knew I got waved on whenever I said "cheddar".

From a security point of view - I guess you can threaten someone with Gorgonzola ;)

One could probably take over a flight with Serra da Estrella - definitely a (delicious) biological weapon, that one!

dand99 Jan 1, 2016 2:55 am

Only a question of time until someone mentions it, so I will....

Re Crews refusing to fly with Durian on board. Wonder if the TSA would OK Durian...

One example: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...383&con_type=1
(I love the unrelated quote from security when confiscating another item- "it could be melted down into a liquid".
What next ?? "If I toss this item in a blender with some milk I could make a liquid - sorry, have to take it off you")

televisor Jan 1, 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 25930084)

Incorrect: most non-liquid cheeses are allowed, some types of cheeses are only allowed depending on the country of origin, there is no 6 month rule:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

nrr Jan 2, 2016 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by televisor (Post 25947808)
Incorrect: most non-liquid cheeses are allowed, some types of cheeses are only allowed depending on the country of origin, there is no 6 month rule:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

There was ONCE a 6 month rule, based on pasturization issues (when I last checked this issue back in the 60's:p)--but rules change over time.