Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA going to stop allowing NOS opt-out?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Th TSA has a history of trying to white-wash what it is doing or intends to do, when it comes to Congressional inquiry.

The TSA made the three-year old girl go into the strip-search machine and get scanned that way? I have kids in my extended family who would gum up the machine for who knows how long if airside entry was conditioned on them
using the strip-search machines.
yes, they did. she is a quiet kid, and mom somehow explained to her what to do and how to stand still for whatever period of time - but the fact remains. I was not traveling with them at the time, so I had no say in the matter.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I've been opting out because I don't want to be exposed to the X-Rays emitted by the scanners. I don't believe that they are safe. Can I claim a medical reason of overexposure to x-rays?
The current machines do not use X-ray technology but there is a possibility that x-ray type Strip Search machines will be brought back in the future.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add another thank you, Sai.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:23 pm

So what will TSA do if you really cant hold the position? Forced and have to "hold" on to things and then fall ?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I saw a pax being forced to use a NoS after he was "randomly selected" at the WTMD. This was back in June at PHL and the 2 striper was ADAMANT that the pax was not allowed to opt out, even though said pax repeatedly refused and stated a preference for a pat down.

Nothing in writing says that this is limited in any way (reports of "if on the watchlist" notwithstanding), so I expect to be be refused entry to the sterile area at some point in the future when I refuse to enter the NoS.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I saw a pax being forced to use a NoS after he was "randomly selected" at the WTMD. This was back in June at PHL and the 2 striper was ADAMANT that the pax was not allowed to opt out, even though said pax repeatedly refused and stated a preference for a pat down.

Nothing in writing says that this is limited in any way (reports of "if on the watchlist" notwithstanding), so I expect to be be refused entry to the sterile area at some point in the future when I refuse to enter the NoS.
YES Scary though. That will put a lot of people that cant do it. Will TSA help them by holding thier arms and help them to spread their legs ? Cause I dont want to belive they want a passenger falling and get hurt. That lawsuit is going to be huge.

Last edited by tanja; Dec 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: US Gold | DL Gold
I'll be flying tomorrow morning out of PIT, then back on Sunday from MKE. Plan on opting out like I always do. I'm expecting to be able to no problem, as I'm sure I don't fit the demographic they're looking to force through the NoS. Guess we'll see.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Appreciate you doing this. ^ Left a message for one of my congress critters- curious to see what they end up saying.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:12 pm

Well darn it! I sure am going to miss my pre-flight massage.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, contact I had via a Congressman suggests that the new no opt out policy only really affects people on the watch lists. But it is unclear how, among other things, that would work out since the TSA won't tell you if you're on the watch lists.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, contact I had via a Congressman suggests that the new no opt out policy only really affects people on the watch lists. But it is unclear how, among other things, that would work out since the TSA won't tell you if you're on the watch lists.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbm12

These may be some of the same characters who had previously told some Congresspersons and staffers that SSSS boarding passes really only affected those the government had watchlisted across the board when it came to air travel. And some of those claims about that just didn't hold up to closer scrutiny -- not that there was any price to be paid when it came to government employees being duped by the DHS/TSA spin machine.

Those who get haraSSSSment boarding passes due to being on the watch lists can just try their luck with checking in on various carriers for domestic US flights to see what happens when they go to get screened by the TSA.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:01 pm

CNN is now reporting the story (no real added information to that which has already been reported here):

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/23/travel...nge/index.html
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Um, asking for a friend - :-)

What happens if I just flat out refuse to go through the scanner? I have been threatened several times with "you can't leave, you MUST complete screening." What happens when I don't go through the machine? Will I just have to stand there forever?

I have serious issues with the surrender pose and I will never do it under any circumstances.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Um, asking for a friend - :-)

What happens if I just flat out refuse to go through the scanner? I have been threatened several times with "you can't leave, you MUST complete screening." What happens when I don't go through the machine? Will I just have to stand there forever?

I have serious issues with the surrender pose and I will never do it under any circumstances.
Wouldn't be surprised to see TSA screeners armed with cattle prods to help convince the reluctant traveler that TSA is just keeping them safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.