Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA going to stop allowing NOS opt-out?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:50 am

I am flying this weekend on a non-US airline (so no Pre for me), and was planning to opt out, as usual. Let's see how this policy is actually implemented.

Boiling the frog.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:06 am

Why is everyone surprised? This is just typical government agency behavior.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stifle
Sigh. This is not what I needed to read today. What next?
European politicos/bureaucrats are going to push for the same kind of thing in the EU/EEA.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:31 am

I wonder how this is going to work with things like insulin pumps. At least two of the major manufacturers say not to wear their pumps in the MMW scanners. With my old one, I could have disconnected it and set it aside. As much as I felt the MMW scanners would not hurt my old pump, I wasn't going to risk it until the manufacturer said it was ok.

I can go through the MMW scanners with my new pump according to the manufacturer. I was expecting to have to go through the scanner the last time i flew, but the TSA was giving 90%+ of the people Pre Check at MSP and sent them through the WTMD. It was the day before Thanksgiving. It's amazing how much faster airport security can be when people don't have to participate in the theater of the shoe carnival and liquid bag removal.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope some well funded group litigates this unreasonable change by TSA.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

saizai has already filed for a preliminary injunction/restraining order.

https://plus.google.com/+saizai/posts/ZDxd9Y6dTow
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I just spoke to my Congressmans office, and they said they spoke to the TSA and the official word is that nothing has changed UNLESS you are on the terror watch list. Supposedly the TSA doesn't want to put this in writing, but my Congresspersons office is going to push back to try to get it in writing for clarity.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I've been opting out because I don't want to be exposed to the X-Rays emitted by the scanners. I don't believe that they are safe. Can I claim a medical reason of overexposure to x-rays?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
I've been opting out because I don't want to be exposed to the X-Rays emitted by the scanners. I don't believe that they are safe. Can I claim a medical reason of overexposure to x-rays?
The strip-search machine scanners used by the TSA don't use X-rays.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joelfreak
I just spoke to my Congressmans office, and they said they spoke to the TSA and the official word is that nothing has changed UNLESS you are on the terror watch list. Supposedly the TSA doesn't want to put this in writing, but my Congresspersons office is going to push back to try to get it in writing for clarity.
That Congressman may not be informed well enough. DHS/TSA wanted to force even non-watchlisted persons to be machine strip searched if the passenger is even incidentally hit with a haraSSSSment boarding pass. HaraSSSSment boarding passes aren't limited to being issued to just persons on existing watchlists.

What is the TSA going to do to preschool children who are hit with a haraSSSSment boarding pass, force them to spread their legs and strike a "surrender" pose for the strip-search screening?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:08 pm

Filed motion to enjoin new mandatory NoS policy

I've already filed for injunction against the new TSA policy on mandatory AIT[/URL].

Sai v Neffenger, No. 15-2356 (1st Cir.)

Overall description of my current litigation

TSA told court they'll respond to my motion on Tuesday. I'll file a reply ASAP. Hopefully can get this BS put on hold very soon.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 31, 2015 at 2:13 am Reason: deleted redundant link
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What is the TSA going to do to preschool children who are hit with a haraSSSSment boarding pass, force them to spread their legs and strike a "surrender" pose for the strip-search screening?
My daughter was once hit with SSSS at the age of 3 y/o. She was traveling with her mother (who was NOT marked SSSS). She was required to go through an NOS.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thank you for doing that!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That Congressman may not be informed well enough. DHS/TSA wanted to force even non-watchlisted persons to be machine strip searched if the passenger is even incidentally hit with a haraSSSSment boarding pass. HaraSSSSment boarding passes aren't limited to being issued to just persons on existing watchlists.

I have gotten a letter from this Congressperson before that came from the TSA, so I believe they do speak to the right people. The question is, is the TSA giving the right information to them?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Th TSA has a history of trying to white-wash what it is doing or intends to do, when it comes to Congressional inquiry.

Originally Posted by br2k
My daughter was once hit with SSSS at the age of 3 y/o. She was traveling with her mother (who was NOT marked SSSS). She was required to go through an NOS.
The TSA made the three-year old girl go into the strip-search machine and get scanned that way? I have kids in my extended family who would gum up the machine for who knows how long if airside entry was conditioned on them
using the strip-search machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.