Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID Checks between Sweden and Danish borders

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nacho
The Swedish ID is a joke - it's issued by Skatteverket and it's not a valid document for international travels compared to the German national ID card.
The German national ID is not issued to non-citizens... the Swedes also issue a national ID like the Germans, but only to Swedish citizens. My wife has one, works great inside the EU. Why the 'nationellt id-kort' costs 400SEK (vs 350 for a passport) is beyond me, but it is what it is...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The German national ID is not issued to non-citizens... the Swedes also issue a national ID like the Germans, but only to Swedish citizens. My wife has one, works great inside the EU. Why the 'nationellt id-kort' costs 400SEK (vs 350 for a passport) is beyond me, but it is what it is...
It's indeed rather bizarre given the issuing authority for both Swedish passports and national ID cards for Swedish citizens are most commonly both done via the Swedish police.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are various forms of Swedish ID, but the Skatteverket ID available to all with a Swedish personal number (whether citizens or not) is not an ID that is valid for cross-border travel -- at least not by rail.

Some Swedish driving licenses and some other non-DL/non-passport Swedish IDs are being accepted for cross-border travel by rail if they indicate citizenship.

I'm sure some people are still making it by rail when technically they are subject to being stopped due to inadequate ID if taking the train. The Swedish authorities probably don't know it all. Especially when you factor in the following kind of experience that I observed this week:
I want to add that Skatteverkets ID is only for people who are "folkbokfőrda" in Sweden. Meaning written into the system.
Swedish people living abroad (like me) cant get one through them.
But I can get one through the police.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The Skatteverket ID is indeed not from the Swedish police, and what Skatteverket (Swedish IRS) require to issue ID is different from the Swedish police. The ID from Skatteverket seems to be primarily used to get non-Swedish citizens some Swedish ID (since even the Swedish police refuse to accept valid foreign passports as ID under a variety of circumstances).

The Swedish intra-Schengen border checks were until now being approved on a 14 day basis and extended every 14 days; but now they will be approved for a month at a time. So this is now approved to continue at least until February 8th and will then be subject to approval for another month and another month and another month and so on.

So much for the EU/EC standing up for intra-Schengen mobility rights.

As the number of new refugees filing in Germany daily is still in the 3000s per day, intra-Schengen mobility is going to remain in a position to be compromised at this level or more unless and until one or two conditions are met in/near Turkey. And the conditions driving up the demand to leave SW Asia and even parts of Central/South Asia are getting worse and worse due to international power plays. Good luck, Schengen; you'll need it. And good luck, refugees; you'll need it too.

While the latest Swedish and Danish checks are helping out Norway, Finland and maybe even Denmark when it comes to reducing the number of incoming refugees for now, the larger dynamic that creates refugees in SW/C/S Asia isn't changing well enough to alter the demand to leave the region. In other words, these intra-Schengen checks are going to remain in this region for quite some time unless and until they shift to other parts of the Schengen Zone and conditions on the ground elsewhere end up being more peaceful than is currently the case.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 7, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I'm afraid that as long as Schengen outer borders are not controlled effectively and the already entered "refugees" have been properly taken care of, there is maybe not much choice...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The ID from Skatteverket seems to be primarily used to get non-Swedish citizens some Swedish ID (since even the Swedish police refuse to accept valid foreign passports as ID under a variety of circumstances).
Of course,
a passport is not an ID. It's just for crossing borders. If you need to identify yourself you use your driving license and if you don't have one you will use the ID from Skatteverket.

That a passport technically has been an ID for a decade or so doesn't change the minds of many people.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Of course,
a passport is not an ID. It's just for crossing borders. If you need to identify yourself you use your driving license and if you don't have one you will use the ID from Skatteverket.

That a passport technically has been an ID for a decade or so doesn't change the minds of many people.
Of course a passport is an ID, except when it's not.

The Swedish police accept foreign passports as ID by itself when it comes to various functions; that is even as the Swedish police refuse to accept the very same foreign passports as ID by itself when it comes to other functions involving identity/identification too.

Kafka could have used this in his works.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:48 pm

Smile

Of course,

I have used my passport as an ID since 1994. The year I( moved out of Sweden. It works most of the time. Next time in Sweden I will get a swedish ID through the police. They dont care were you live as long as you are swedish or have a legal rite to be there. I have even used a very few times my US ID when my passport has not been accepted.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Of course,

Have you tried using a non-Swedish driver licence to deposit money into a bank account or fetch an oversize letter or parcel from the local ombud? I don't know if the Skatteverket ID works but at I know my passport works 100%.

Is there a reason to get an ID from the police?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Have you tried using a non-Swedish driver licence to deposit money into a bank account or fetch an oversize letter or parcel from the local ombud? I don't know if the Skatteverket ID works but at I know my passport works 100%.

My US passport has worked as ID at Swedish retail outlets and for corporate and various other transactions in Sweden, almost always without issue. I was once almost refused a package pickup. Why? Because, when asked for a personal number, all I could do was show my passport to pick up a package; and the person working there seemed relatively new -- young, in the summer time, unfamiliar with the pull down menus on the screen -- so I chalked it up to that.

Is that "e-legitimation" thing one of the things with which Skatteverket ID and Swedish police-issued ID may help?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Swedish police won't issue you an ID if you are not Swedish anyway...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by tsastor
I'm afraid that as long as Schengen outer borders are not controlled effectively and the already entered "refugees" have been properly taken care of, there is maybe not much choice...
Well, Mr Orbán did at least one thing right...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, a passport is not an ID.
In one of my passports it reads verbatim "... to prove his/her identity and nationality while abroad..." Aside from that it's also an ID domestically if one is so inclined to use it

But of course Sweden is different
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always in your wallet and is valid for travel for 30-something countries - mine is valid for 40.

You can't forget it at home as you can your passport.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jan 8, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In one of my passports it reads verbatim "... to prove his/her identity and nationality while abroad..." Aside from that it's also an ID domestically if one is so inclined to use it

But of course Sweden is different
Sure, but as all Swedes know passports were not always accepted as ID. This changed in 1998(or rather for passports from 1998 or later) but old habits die slowly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.