Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shiny new KTN on my boarding pass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Shiny new KTN on my boarding pass

Well i finally broke down and got PreCheck. Time before last when I flew i got a wonderful FreedomGrope(tm) because of my sparkly shirt confusing the scanner. It was very humiliating and unnecessary.

Turned out the office to do that was literally in the office park across from my office.

Applied at lunch, got my walk-in interview, and had my KTN less than 24 hours later.

Printed my boarding pass and have that lovely little precheck note on it.

Will let you know how it goes when i take off tomorrow morning
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
I hope you spent the additional $15 and got Global Entry as well. That is great when traveling internationally.

Just remember having Pre-Check does not mean you will still not get groped. In my experience I am seeing more frequent "random" checks in the Pre-Check line. My last trip through ORD ended with a grope followed by a discussion with the FSD because of the TSO.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I hope you spent the additional $15 and got Global Entry as well. That is great when traveling internationally.

Just remember having Pre-Check does not mean you will still not get groped. In my experience I am seeing more frequent "random" checks in the Pre-Check line. My last trip through ORD ended with a grope followed by a discussion with the FSD because of the TSO.
I think we're going to be seeing more of these 'random' checks. The new TSA spokesperson has made it clear that red team test failures have been because TSA was trying to get pax through quickly. In the short term, I think Neffenger is going to assume that if the lines are long and the screening process is more invasive and takes longer, that is evidence that the screeners are taking their time and doing their job more thoroughly - which he expects to result in higher test scores.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

No... my bad. I rarely travel internationally, but it could happen.

Well the lines were shorter with Pre, that was nice. altho at PHX on the return i got one of those 'random alarms' but no FreedomGrope ensued, just the scanner. I was running a bit late at phx, so ya, i did the scanner to get it over with.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by jampa
No... my bad. I rarely travel internationally, but it could happen.

Well the lines were shorter with Pre, that was nice. altho at PHX on the return i got one of those 'random alarms' but no FreedomGrope ensued, just the scanner. I was running a bit late at phx, so ya, i did the scanner to get it over with.
I'll miss my flight before I do the Surrender Pose just to get it over with.

If they are going to arbitrarily delay me from the precheck line - there is nothing "random" about it - then I'm going to get my money's worth on the back end.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by chollie
I think we're going to be seeing more of these 'random' checks. The new TSA spokesperson has made it clear that red team test failures have been because TSA was trying to get pax through quickly. In the short term, I think Neffenger is going to assume that if the lines are long and the screening process is more invasive and takes longer, that is evidence that the screeners are taking their time and doing their job more thoroughly - which he expects to result in higher test scores.
Why do they only ever put stupid people in TSA admin?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why do they only ever put stupid people in TSA admin?
Because smart people can get a real job.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:53 am

Red Team is TSA Office of Inspection

The 67 out 70 leaked test results were conducted by DHS Inspector General employees.

Overall, I think you are correct, that the new speak is counting on longer lines = diligent security.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Red Team is TSA Office of Inspection

The 67 out 70 leaked test results were conducted by DHS Inspector General employees.

Overall, I think you are correct, that the new speak is counting on longer lines = diligent security.
It just becomes more cumbersome for everyone.

Some TDCs got bored out of their minds comparing IDs and BPs and someone occasionally slipped through. We know, because the subsequent 'layers' worked. In an attempt to keep TDCs on their toes, TSA started requiring the checks by the things the TDC is supposed to verify: name, date, destination, even airline.

It didn't take long for TDCs to get bored out of their mind and start making tick marks without really processing what they were looking at.

Then they added the 'say your name' game. Mixed results on that. Former TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein apparently was under the impression that the name game wasn't supposed to be happening any more, but of course, he was at HQ. Everyone (including those at HQ) knows FSDs (and individual TSOs) do things the way they want, so the name game still continued in some places.

It doesn't help that the TDCs are trying to concentrate on processing the data in front of them while there's constant barking, loud taped announcements, other TSOs wanting to chat. Working conditions for the menial task they are asked to do are not ideal.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just becomes more cumbersome for everyone.

Some TDCs got bored out of their minds comparing IDs and BPs and someone occasionally slipped through. We know, because the subsequent 'layers' worked. In an attempt to keep TDCs on their toes, TSA started requiring the checks by the things the TDC is supposed to verify: name, date, destination, even airline.

It didn't take long for TDCs to get bored out of their mind and start making tick marks without really processing what they were looking at.

Then they added the 'say your name' game. Mixed results on that. Former TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein apparently was under the impression that the name game wasn't supposed to be happening any more, but of course, he was at HQ. Everyone (including those at HQ) knows FSDs (and individual TSOs) do things the way they want, so the name game still continued in some places.

It doesn't help that the TDCs are trying to concentrate on processing the data in front of them while there's constant barking, loud taped announcements, other TSOs wanting to chat. Working conditions for the menial task they are asked to do are not ideal.
Working conditions on the deck of an aircraft carrier are less than ideal but our sailors are out there day and night, rain or shine launching jets and in many cases working 12 on/12 off shifts. Working conditions for our soldiers out in the field are less than ideal but they do their jobs too.

I have a real hard time feeling sorry for the working conditions of our TSA screeners in their air conditioned and dry terminals. If verifying that a boarding pass and ID match is too hard then I suggest that person is incapable of doing anything constructive anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.