Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I already had to have more of a background check from the USG as a gov't contractor than you get for pre (and probably more than most TSA employees get), why should I have to pay extra and go through a bunch of hassle to get precheck?

But I agree with many of the other posters here, that what's now called "pre" should be the norm (without the background check). There's no evidence that the imaging systems are more effective (and some evidence that they're less effective) than magnetometers. The shoe and liquid things are just silly and also add nothing to security- they're overreactions to specific incidents that were of arguable risk in the first place.
(Bolding mine)

To be fair, at least one recent series of tests indicated that the systems are effective for 5% of the screeners.

Mike
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I already had to have more of a background check from the USG as a gov't contractor than you get for pre (and probably more than most TSA employees get), why should I have to pay extra and go through a bunch of hassle to get precheck?
The background check is the primary excuse to charge $85. They aren't going to let you off the hook for the $85, so they have to exercise the excuse.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
ALL security should be PreCheck style.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:43 am

September 18, 2015 Travel Market Report.

David Castelveter, Deputy Assistant Administrator of TSA’s Office of Strategic Communications & Public Affairs, called TMR to share that TSA will be rolling out Managed Inclusion III, a version of the program that will use canines to screen some travelers and allow them into the PreCheck lines.
Sucks being right about yesterdays hype. MORE Free passes to TSA Precheck.....yay!

If you want to end "free passes to precheck" contact your Senator and ask him/her to support "Securing Expedited Screening Act", which would prohibit "free passes to precheck".

Last edited by gingersnaps; Sep 18, 2015 at 12:52 am
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps

Sucks being right about yesterdays hype. MORE Free passes to TSA Precheck.....yay!

If you want to end "free passes to precheck" contact your Senator and ask him/her to support "Securing Expedited Screening Act", which would prohibit "free passes to precheck".
They can't get the numbers they need to make the program work without offering free trips through Pre. It's either continue, in some form or another, to offer free passes or fold the program completely.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
They can't get the numbers they need to make the program work without offering free trips through Pre. It's either continue, in some form or another, to offer free passes or fold the program completely.
Sounds right to me.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds right to me.
And they should keep it going, and do whatever they need to do to fill the line. If they fill the line, it greatly improves overall throughput because the line can process so many more people per hour. If people feel unsafe because they don't take their shoes off, they can carry an extra pair of shoes in a bag and run those through the x-ray.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
In the meantime, throw an over-priced contract for dogs to some greedy retiring DHS honcho and his buddies.

It won't do a thing for security, if we're lucky no pax will get harmed by badly managed dogs (it has happened before), but some corrupt and connected individual will get taxpayers' $$ and there will be a permanent small expansion of an already bloated agency.

Oh, and it will bolster TSA's stats for catching the drugs they aren't looking for (although they sometimes participate in smuggling them). You know, the drugs that are no threat to aviation safety.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: QFF

Why would any sane person want any level of "precheck" to end? Just why do you have any issue with letting anyone use precheck?
Precheck should be the standard of screening in the US, not an exception. The current standard level should be the exception and only used when there is reasonable evidence for a certain traveler to be given the extra screening.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
In the meantime, throw an over-priced contract for dogs to some greedy retiring DHS honcho and his buddies.

It won't do a thing for security, if we're lucky no pax will get harmed by badly managed dogs (it has happened before), but some corrupt and connected individual will get taxpayers' $$ and there will be a permanent small expansion of an already bloated agency.

Oh, and it will bolster TSA's stats for catching the drugs they aren't looking for (although they sometimes participate in smuggling them). You know, the drugs that are no threat to aviation safety.
My first thought when I read the article was, there is no way to tell the difference between a dog trained to search for explosives and one trained to search for drugs. From what I understand, they are not trained for both at the same time. I imagine asking one of the K9 officers, "Officer - is that animal trained to alert to narcotics? Or to stuff that makes noise?" and being treated to either a stern lecture from an embarrassed cop, or the Full Monty of enhanced screening techniques.

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why would any sane person want any level of "precheck" to end? Just why do you have any issue with letting anyone use precheck?
Precheck should be the standard of screening in the US, not an exception. The current standard level should be the exception and only used when there is reasonable evidence for a certain traveler to be given the extra screening.
Oh, it's fairly obvious to me that those who paid extra for PreCheck - mostly so they could have shorter lines - are a little miffed that tens of thousands of random kettles are being given the privilege for free and slowing down the PreCheck lines.

Funny thing is, I agree with both of you - if PreCheck is a pay service, it shouldn't be given to tens of thousands of people for free. But PreCheck shouldn't be a pay service - Pre-equivalent screening should be the norm for all travelers.

Notice how I didn't say that PreCheck should be the standard, because while the level of screening given to PreCheck travelers should be the standard - WTMD, bag x-ray, shoes and belt on, etc - the PRE-CHECKING done to those people should not be the standard.

Investigative background checks by the government should never be conducted on someone who is just trying to exercise their right to unrestricted movement. It's not only a violation of the 4th Amendment, it's also a tremendous waste of government time, money, and personnel who would be far better utilized in tracking down those who actually HAVE committed a crime of some sort, not those whom the government considers to be "potential threats". As it seems to regard every human being on the planet, these days.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds right to me.
Yeah, but I still have Pre-Check. I have no problem for me at all.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I would say that is very accurate. Those who have paid for a KNOWN TRAVELER service, very likely do not travel on a daily basis in numbers that justify keeping an entire group of TSA screeners busy.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
And they should keep it going, and do whatever they need to do to fill the line. If they fill the line, it greatly improves overall throughput because the line can process so many more people per hour. If people feel unsafe because they don't take their shoes off, they can carry an extra pair of shoes in a bag and run those through the x-ray.
Nothing like quantity (ram'em through) taking first chair to security and quality.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:46 pm

Nothing like quantity (ram'em through) taking first chair to security and quality.
It's not about security, and hasn't been for years. It's about perpetuating a bureaucracy.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Pre-equivalent screening should be the norm for all travelers.

Notice how I didn't say that PreCheck should be the standard, because while the level of screening given to PreCheck travelers should be the standard - WTMD, bag x-ray, shoes and belt on, etc - the PRE-CHECKING done to those people should not be the standard.
Completely agree with this.

I have to say, I find it concerning that PreCheck at Terminal D at DFW was not open late last week. I couldn't get a straight answer from the TSA about it, but it makes me wonder if they aren't getting enough people to make it worth opening the line. It hasn't been open at my home airport for months because it's rarely used since the number of free passes has been reduced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.