Wiki Posts
Search

CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Does the "why" really matter?

If CBP has the stamp why not use it if requested. What harm is done?
I took a brief poll of guys I know who travel internationally a lot. All said that they hate it when their US passport is stamped since it takes up space. So no, the "why" doesn't really matter, except to the guy at Customs who probably thinks the same thing.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by catocony
I took a brief poll of guys I know who travel internationally a lot. All said that they hate it when their US passport is stamped since it takes up space. So no, the "why" doesn't really matter, except to the guy at Customs who probably thinks the same thing.
Are any of those guys living outside of the U.S. and with children born outside of the U.S. living outside of the U.S.?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Why would you want a US stamp in your passport? As a backup in case you didn't get an exit stamp elsewhere and may need to prove, on your next visit to elsewhere, that you did in fact return home and are back a second time?
Because I like stamps
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1
My guess is that stamps, esp for US passport holders will go the way of the dodo bird sooner rather than later.
That would make me sad - even though I travel a lot and don't really need them - but they already effectively have for Global Entry members.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP purchases of stamping products is not about to go the way of the dodo.

Like most governmental bureaucracies, large-scale change would surely take an eternity to be approved and take effect... Damn stamping industry and their corrupt control of the customs process!

CBP employees' employment status is not on such a tightrope that there is any need to behave in such a governmental CYA way.
Government employees behaving in an anal, governmental way? Who woulda thunk it?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ak333
I can't be the only one who doesn't want a stamp upon arrival home, can I? I need the space in my (52 page) passport...
I'm halfway through the life of my passport, and less than halfway through its 52 pages, though perhaps you are right and I shouldn't take up space just for the hell of it since I do aspire to travel more. Much more. And I already travel a good amount
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, Canada doesn't give US citizens stamps at land crossings when entering Canada. On occasion I've asked for one and when I received it they wrote "courtesy" or "on request" next to it. That, to me, was to indicate to whoever might look at the stamp for official purposes in the future that they normally wouldn't have stamped but they were asked to do so. The CBP agent referred to in this thread could easily have dne that.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:45 am

Why would you want a US stamp in your passport? As a backup in case you didn't get an exit stamp elsewhere and may need to prove, on your next visit to elsewhere, that you did in fact return home and are back a second time?
It may sound corny but I want one because it'll be my first international trip. I'm also the atypical FTer as I only travel a couple times a year so I'm not worried about a couple extra stamps taking up room in my passport. I can, however, totally understand why frequent international travelers wouldn't want one taking up the extra space.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:57 am

CBP officer refuses to stamp passport

I think it was and is incredibly reasonable that you were informed by the agent that only the agent who processed you could stamp your passport. To me not understanding why he could not stamp your passport is ridiculous.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I really hadn't given the whole stamped, not stamped passport much thought until this thread. Looking back through my passports it's been years, ten or more, since I got a reentry stamp. In the meantime I've gone through probably two or three security background checks for my DoD position and I've never had to offer up my passport for any reason despite several OCONUS trips for personal travel. Most recently we reentered through PHL using GE and because of this thread I asked the CBP agent at the GE exit desk if I could get my passport stamped. Now he may have been just blowing me off but he said he didn't have a stamp. Added that was part of the purpose/benefit of GE.....quick and easy processing.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:30 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by industry_killer
I think it was and is incredibly reasonable that you were informed by the agent that only the agent who processed you could stamp your passport. To me not understanding why he could not stamp your passport is ridiculous.
Seeing how he was not processed by an agent at all and just a machine. Arguing with a machine would be more ridiculous...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by industry_killer
The customs agent who takes your GE receipt is NT the one who processes you into the country for immigration purposes. He may have a stamp. He may work for the same department. He may be assigned to immigration functions at other times. But when he collects your receipt he's working a customs function. Is it a silly distinction and a poor reason to refuse a reasonable request? To me the answer is yes.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The customs agent who takes your GE receipt is NT the one who processes you into the country for immigration purposes. He may have a stamp. He may work for the same department. He may be assigned to immigration functions at other times. But when he collects your receipt he's working a customs function. Is it a silly distinction and a poor reason to refuse a reasonable request? To me the answer is yes.
Do they cross duties between immigration and customs? If I recall, those who handle immigration intake carry firearms while those who do customs checks do not. Is my recollection mistaken?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Do they cross duties between immigration and customs? If I recall, those who handle immigration intake carry firearms while those who do customs checks do not. Is my recollection mistaken?
My experience was that all uniformed CBP officers always carried guns regardless of their immediate assignment duties.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP handles immigration and customs functions. And the delineation between the functions of immigration control and customs control used to be strong, but is now basically nothing like what it used to be several decades ago.

Originally Posted by König
My experience was that all uniformed CBP officers always carried guns regardless of their immediate assignment duties.
Not all uniformed CBP always carry guns on duty at airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.