Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole concept of CBP stamping US passports, GE or not, is outmoded. Doesn't mean the guy couldn't have humored you, but perhaps he saw no purpose in it, as there wasn't.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The whole concept of CBP stamping US passports, GE or not, is outmoded. Doesn't mean the guy couldn't have humored you, but perhaps he saw no purpose in it, as there wasn't.
Whether or not it may be outmoded, the stamps are still useful for various purposes and are rather sensible for some to still get -- no less so when there is nothing outmoded about electronic data erasure/corruption or otherwise restricted accessibility to the electronic data compared to stamps in passports.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:30 pm

Hmm. Makes me wonder if I'll be able to get one in ORD in a few weeks. I plan on asking as the OP did which was also suggested in a previous thread.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Hmm. Makes me wonder if I'll be able to get one in ORD in a few weeks. I plan on asking as the OP did which was also suggested in a previous thread.
It worked for my travel party at ORD today.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
CBP officer refuses to stamp passport

Seems like there was absolutely no reason for that officer to stamp you and if you were involved in an incident resulting in an investigation of your travels, officer will have to answer why his stamp is on your passport when his function was custom check.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I've always been able to get them there.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Seems like there was absolutely no reason for that officer to stamp you and if you were involved in an incident resulting in an investigation of your travels, officer will have to answer why his stamp is on your passport when his function was custom check.
That would be perfectly reasonable if he were not literally the only officer I have ever come across who refused to do it. If this is the answer, it means those dozens of other officers were putting their jobs at risk to humor me with a passport stamp.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Like many things, the CBP Officer has the authority and the means to stamp a passport. He chose not to as he is not required to. Others choose to because it is hardly going out of their way.

My guess is that stamps, esp for US passport holders will go the way of the dodo bird sooner rather than later.

The ironic thing is that because Schengen is still a legal & aspirational endeavor and many entry points have no data links, a stamp on entry to Schengen can be mandatory.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Like many things, the CBP Officer has the authority and the means to stamp a passport. He chose not to as he is not required to. Others choose to because it is hardly going out of their way.

My guess is that stamps, esp for US passport holders will go the way of the dodo bird sooner rather than later.

The ironic thing is that because Schengen is still a legal & aspirational endeavor and many entry points have no data links, a stamp on entry to Schengen can be mandatory.
So the CBP person had both the authority and means to stamp this persons passport but instead of accommodating the request acted like a jerk which ultimately led to this thread.

Free advertising, precious!

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 6, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

CBP purchases of stamping products is not about to go the way of the dodo.

Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP employees' employment status is not on such a tightrope that there is any need to behave in such a governmental CYA way.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Why would you want a US stamp in your passport? As a backup in case you didn't get an exit stamp elsewhere and may need to prove, on your next visit to elsewhere, that you did in fact return home and are back a second time?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
Why would you want a US stamp in your passport? As a backup in case you didn't get an exit stamp elsewhere and may need to prove, on your next visit to elsewhere, that you did in fact return home and are back a second time?
Does the "why" really matter?

If CBP has the stamp why not use it if requested. What harm is done?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:17 am

To be honest, it was to protect himself... If something happened, they'd ask why his stamp was there in the first place. It's protocol.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I can't be the only one who doesn't want a stamp upon arrival home, can I? I need the space in my (52 page) passport...
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ak333
I can't be the only one who doesn't want a stamp upon arrival home, can I? I need the space in my (52 page) passport...
I too will need the space more than before, especially as they kill of additional page inserts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.