Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:37 pm

Maybe the rules are different for Canadians, but I have visited the US hundreds of times (by land and air) and have never had my passport stamped, never once.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I was actually under the impression it was illegal for US officials to stamp a US passport.
I think you mean EU officials stamping an EU passport
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It is not illegal. It is ordinary and most frequently done legally by the US.

It is useful for some US citizens to have the US stamps, as in some cases it is used to create a travel history (or evidence of such) or used as evidence of the government's record being misleading.
Agreed. And it can be useful when entering other countries and they want to know where you've been prior to coming there. If entry stamps to the US aren't there they can get suspicious (Pakistan did that to me once).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Kinda sad that passports are no longer stamped. I have kept every passport I have ever had and looking back at the various entry and exit stamps brings back memories. I especially remember road trips through Europe before custom posts were abolished - nostalgia, what a wonderful thing

Last edited by steveben53; Mar 16, 2015 at 3:31 am
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by steveben53
Kinda sad that passports are no longer stamped. I have kept every passport I have ever had and looking back at the various entry and exit stamps brings back memories. I especially remember road trips through Europe before custom posts were abolished - nostalgia, what a wonderful thing
Colombia and Chile still stamp! My very first US passport has been christened by them. No US CBP stamps though
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by blackdawn2
My US passport has never been stamped entering the U.S. Illegal or not, it's just a waste of time and ink.
As somebody who rarely travels internationally I'd disagree - I like getting my passport stamped. It is an small memento of each trip. Though I think in the four times I've re-entered the US I've only been stamped once.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:14 pm

Question about US-CBP stamps:

-If they simply stamped the ppt but didn't write anything, how much stay does that mean is allowed ?

-another time I entered, and the cbp stamped it. Stamped entry for march 1, and he wrote class 'B2' and then underneath that date of Sept 1. (This was in secondary as they said my name was "too common", so took 15 mins time in secondary). Still came out before all other "foreigners", so benefit still there to be Cdn.

Is it 6 months or 3 months if no date written on stamp for stay?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
I think you mean EU officials stamping an EU passport
That is apparently not allowed, yes. It is said that a passport stamp implies permission to enter the country and that such permission has not been given (and cannot be given) since citizens of an EU country do not require permission to enter an EU country - although, myself, I think there's a leap of logic there. (Sometimes a passport control officer will unbend if a stamp is requested, particularly if the passport holder is a child.)

Australian passports are not stamped on arrival or departure from Australia or New Zealand any more, either.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher
Australian passports are not stamped on arrival or departure from Australia or New Zealand any more, either.
Not as a matter of routine but you can still ask for stamp.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Not as a matter of routine but you can still ask for stamp.
Are these regular stamps or are the words "ON REQUEST" or something similar written on/ besides it?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:01 am

Since you can have a new passport in any moment whatsoever, the existence of previous stamps or not is irrelevant...

Passports are constantly been reissued (lost, expired, damaged...) so it will be strange for a custom officer to relay on the existence of stamps...

(my 2 cents)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
Are these regular stamps or are the words "ON REQUEST" or something similar written on/ besides it?
It's a regular stamp with the date of departure recorded.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
CBP officer refuses to stamp passport

This is not at all a serious issue, but still a... surprising... experience.

Since signing up for Global Entry a few years ago, shortly after the program started, I no longer go through passport control when reentering the US and therefore do not get my passport stamped there. So I've taken to asking the CBP officer who takes my kiosk receipt to stamp my passport, which they have done at airports across America without hesitation and exception.

Until a recent experience coming into JFK, where asked the officer to stamp me, and he said, "Only the person who admits you into the country can stamp you." I was so taken aback I asked, "Are you joking?" And he said "No! I'm not stamping you." NY is perhaps less apt to grant any exception from rules relating to security and border patrol, even such minor ones as this, but it nevertheless seemed completely ridiculous to me.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:44 pm

Tell them, "I asked the machine and it said it was OK?"
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fwoomp
Tell them, "I asked the machine and it said it was OK?"
I'll have to try that next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.