Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The MSY "You goona respect this badge right here" TSA screener has been removed from passenger screening functions.

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/29618200/ts...-film-pat-down

This person is a STSO, a 3 stripper, and should know TSA policies. So how come this guy wasn't fired?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:00 pm

Because, as the article says, the investigation is still ongoing. Nothing says that the agent won't be fired. But the last thing you want is for the agent to be fired while violating his due process rights, which would probably lead to the agent being reinstated, all the while leading armchair quarterbacks like us to ask "why can't they conduct an investigation properly"? Give it some time.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Because, as the article says, the investigation is still ongoing. Nothing says that the agent won't be fired. But the last thing you want is for the agent to be fired while violating his due process rights, which would probably lead to the agent being reinstated, all the while leading armchair quarterbacks like us to ask "why can't they conduct an investigation properly"? Give it some time.
This might be a good thing. Unless this was someone management already had in their sights, it's the best possible way to send a message to all TSOs (and more importantly, LTSOs, STSOs and suits) that photography really isn't entirely at the option of the screeners.

Much better than prior TSA responses to undeniable employee misconduct.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Rank incompetence.

Barely controlled anger issues.

Pretty strong evidence supplied by the screener.

Should make short work of any investigation.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Rank incompetence.

Barely controlled anger issues.

Pretty strong evidence supplied by the screener.

Should make short work of any investigation.
Exactly. I expect his "passenger service training" to begin tomorrow and his return to his normal position by Thursday.

Mike
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
Oh God! I love FLyerTalk!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by kavade
Oh God! I love FLyerTalk!
I think we all do, that's why we are here.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Question: I sometimes see little kids walking around with those TSA stickers that they got at the checkpoint. Does that make them TSOs, also? And if not, shouldn't they be arrested for impersonating a LEO?

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by mikeef
Question: I sometimes see little kids walking around with those TSA stickers that they got at the checkpoint. Does that make them TSOs, also? And if not, shouldn't they be arrested for impersonating a LEO?

Mike
Like most legal things... "it depends". I don't believe children under 10 (or is it 12?) can be arrested and charged with a crime. However, it could be considered a child abuse/neglect issue and presumably Child Protective Services would be involved.

But would a reasonable and prudent person suspect that a minor wearing a sticker is impersonating a LEO? I think that's the legal argument and the threshold that would have to be overcame.

I would say not.

I'll standby though and wait for the FlyerTalk lawyers to chime in.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA XP, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chollie
An innocent man was shot and killed in OK by an old rich man playing at being a cop with the real guys.
While the shooting was tragic it was a mistake. On what order of magnitude a mistake is certainly debatable, however, the man shot most certainly was not innocent. The video of the sting clearly shows him committing a crime as well as other evidence obtained before.

I am neither condoning or criticizing the shooting with this statement... Only the posters ignorance of the facts that can inflame a situation such as this.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbgaskins
While the shooting was tragic it was a mistake. On what order of magnitude a mistake is certainly debatable, however, the man shot most certainly was not innocent. The video of the sting clearly shows him committing a crime as well as other evidence obtained before.

I am neither condoning or criticizing the shooting with this statement... Only the posters ignorance of the facts that can inflame a situation such as this.
I wasn't aware that a jury had found the suspect guilty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.