Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

The idiocy of TSA Pre-Check secondary screening procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

So I'm traveling through BWI today. As usual, the Pre-Check lane at the C Terminal security checkpoint was closed so I strolled down to the B Terminal checkpoint. As I went through the WTMD, it beeped for random secondary screening. Ok, no problem, but then I'm directed to the body scanner, without being given the opportunity to divest myself of my jacket and everything in my pockets. Needless to say, I got a pat down because I failed the body scan. The guy giving me a pat down seemed upset and asked why I had all this stuff in my pocket. I responded because I thought I was going through Pre-Check. He then told me to curb my attitude and do what he asked (yes, a complaint has been filed)

Seriously, if dinged for secondary screening, either give someone the chance to get ready for a body scanner or just skip directly to the pat-down. Think these things through, people.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:49 pm

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Penalty for you!!! You used the word "think" when referring to TSA security theater! Go to your room...no TV for the rest of the week!

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 5, 2015 at 12:21 am Reason: No need to quote post immediately above
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have been fussed at by the nude-o-scope guys for having my wallet in my pocket after a "random" alarm at the WTMD. IIRC it was even the same guy barking at every Pre pax not to remove things from their pockets...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:00 am

There are three problems here:

1. Random secondary for PreCheck passengers
This used to be the rather benign but pointless hand swabbing. It is the same for crews using "Known Crew Member (KCM)" lanes. But some nitwit decided to switch it to the Millimeter Wave full body scan. This is disruptive for travelers, disruptive for TSA staff, and--of course--limits the value of PreCheck.

2. Inconsistent instructions
Since PreCheck, as advertised, allows one to keep light outerwear, a belt, and shoes on, there is a conceptual conflict with using the full body scanner. I know I'm looking for logic where there isn't any.

The TSA can choose between three options:
a. Get rid of the randoms (they'll never do that)
b. Revert to the ETD hand swabs (easy solution)
c. Treat a random as a non-PreCheck passenger. Start over, remove all of the shoes and clothes, and not try to mesh PreCheck random alarm with a non PreCheck passenger. I would suggest that they greatly reduce the number of random alarms if they are going to do this.

3. Attitude
I think that some of the TSA snippiness probably comes from the fact that the rules change so much, make no sense, and inconvenience everyone. I doubt that they appreciate the random alarms themselves.

But telling anyone to "Check your attitude" is begging for a fight. It is a perfect example of a TSA staff member using his or her badge to accentuate a power differential. It shows emotional immaturity, insecurity, and--of course--a frantic need for petty authority.

A wiser TSA staff member would have developed coping skills for these situations. Empathy, for example, would help: "I know this is frustrating." Okay, you're not trashing your employer, but you are at least acknowledging that nobody wants to be in that situation. "Bear with me; I know that you already had a background check and weren't planning on this today."

Expecting appreciation is psychologically damaging. Nobody should go to work and expect to be honoured. Sorry. TSA "officer" isn't on the list of most respected or trusted professions. Any TSA staff member expecting an outpouring of appreciation needs to reframe his or her approach to work, and probably consider further schooling or a change of occupation.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks, we've deleted all responses to a first time poster who most likely is posting under a duplicate handle just to provoke a response. Rather than being duped into someone's psychodrama, just report the post to a mod by clicking on the red triangle icon in the lower left corner of the offending post. Thanks.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Wow. I guess it is unacceptable to have differing opinions than the the anti-TSA crowd here.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Not at all, but disruptive posting -- trolling for the sake of trolling, for instance -- is contra to the community rules:

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.
Hope that clarifies things.

-------
essxjay
TS/S moderator

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 4, 2015 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mats
But telling anyone to "Check your attitude" is begging for a fight. It is a perfect example of a TSA staff member using his or her badge to accentuate a power differential. It shows emotional immaturity, insecurity, and--of course--a frantic need for petty authority.
Perfect description of the average TSA clerk.

Originally Posted by Mats
Expecting appreciation is psychologically damaging. Nobody should go to work and expect to be honoured. Sorry. TSA "officer" isn't on the list of most respected or trusted professions. Any TSA staff member expecting an outpouring of appreciation needs to reframe his or her approach to work, and probably consider further schooling or a change of occupation.
Back in 2007, I was at a meeting where the TSA HQ reps spent their allotted time whining about the lack respect their employees were getting. No one said anything in response, and the chair moved on to the next issue. Afterwards, several of us had a good laugh at the futility demonstrated by the TSA rep.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by halls120
Back in 2007, I was at a meeting where the TSA HQ reps spent their allotted time whining about the lack respect their employees were getting. No one said anything in response, and the chair moved on to the next issue. Afterwards, several of us had a good laugh at the futility demonstrated by the TSA rep.
They might get some respect if they showed passengers respect. Even better would be to have procedures that actually made sense vs. making things up and then claiming SSI when asked abut anything.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by halls120
Perfect description of the average TSA clerk.

If you were at a similar meeting today, would the response be any better? Did Pistole accomplish anything notably positive? I don't mean from the pax perspective, I'm wondering if the agency is held in higher regard post-Pistole than it was before amongst other government employees.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by essxjay
Not at all, but disruptive posting -- trolling for the sake of trolling, for instance -- is contra to the community rules:

Hope that clarifies things.

-------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
I thank all the moderators who volunteer their time to make FT a great venue. However, IIRC, the poster who you claimed to be agitating, made a post in which he/she asked for support of TSA agents who were proclaimed as working to keep America safe (paraphrase). I hardly find this incendiary.

Rather, there were a host of very hostile responses that showed no respect for the poster and attacked the person, rather than the position. These were the responses that should have been deleted, but the original one kept for purposes of honest dialogue.

Can you please clarify so that we all know what the rules really are? Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My gut says the mods had very good reason to see the post as trolling from a duplicate handle... Both of which are violations of the TOS.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:15 pm

I would also point out that, according to the FlyerTalk Rules, commenting on moderator actions is also a violation of the rules:

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the Community Director.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...deratoractions
Maybe we should get back to talking about TSA Pre-Check ...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

asserting rights and or choosing not to fly does not require a confrontation

responding to behavior perceived as poor, with poor behavior, is problematic

as noted, TSA staff are not the ones who create policies, regulations, laws

moderators can and do track via IP address to prevent multiple accounts
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
If you were at a similar meeting today, would the response be any better? Did Pistole accomplish anything notably positive? I don't mean from the pax perspective, I'm wondering if the agency is held in higher regard post-Pistole than it was before amongst other government employees.
No. TSA is still the most popular federal agency among IRS workers, because of TSA, IRS is no longer the most despised government agency.

On a more serious note, TSA is still regarded as a massive joke of an agency. Now that DHS HQ is fully (to the point of having too many people) staffed up, we rarely see them at interagency meetings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.