Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:59 am

deleted

Last edited by ft556; May 28, 2018 at 8:00 am Reason: legal
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD

I must admit, I have not yet been subjected to the Name Game when I've flown, but my plan is to take a more middle-of-the-road tactic which will allow me to fly but get me out of saying my name aloud in public against my will - I will pronounce my name in the full German fashion of its origin, rather than the English slurring used by most in my family. Despite my never having been to Germany, and my near-complete lack of German language skills, I believe I can pronounce my German-origin last name in the proper German fashion (and I know I can pronounce my first name, William, in the proper German fashion). Said quickly, it sounds nothing like the English version, but is absolutely correct and within the bounds of TSA procedure, and very unlikely to cause disruption or delay to anyone around me.

Of course, there will always be some clod who thinks it's funny to say his name is pronounced "Hideo Takamini" when his BP says "Kevin Donaldson", or vice-versa, but I won't be that clod. I'll be the clod who is putting on my shoes while that clod is still messing with Sasquatch at the podium.
I thought the Name Game was over.

Which reminds me, is TSA still testing drinks in the "sterile" area of airports?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I thought the Name Game was over.

Which reminds me, is TSA still testing drinks in the "sterile" area of airports?
Can't speak to the second point, but the name game appears to be going strong. Remember our old friend Ross, the TSA publicist who was on here for a cup of coffee? He told us to email him if we had name games. So I did. He told me that they would look into it and get back to me.

Still waiting.

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
First, I don't believe TSA officers are "clerks", they do complete a very important function to us fliers.
So do you call your mailman "officer"? He's also a federal employee, completing a very important function to a much larger audience. He has a uniform, too!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I suppose the TSA does provide one important function to us fliers...they generally keep everyday morons from bringing guns and large knives onto planes. Usually. But I still mainly think of them as clerks or something similar.

(Again, I'm still of the opinion that outright d*uchebaggery at the checkpoint does nothing to help your cause or the cause of fliers behind you in the queue.)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Starbucks baristas ask for your name to help get your drink to you. TSA staff ask for your name because...well, no good reason.
One can also make up any name and give it to the barista because all they want is some srt of identifier.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I've not seen that in quite some time. When I did they went absolutely crazy when I initially refused their request. I then finished my drink while the clerk was figuring out what to do and before they culd test it. Good times!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've not seen that in quite some time. When I did they went absolutely crazy when I initially refused their request. I then finished my drink while the clerk was figuring out what to do and before they culd test it. Good times!
You have all the fun.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pinniped
I suppose the TSA does provide one important function to us fliers...they generally keep everyday morons from bringing guns and large knives onto planes. Usually.
For a value of "usually" being about 5% of the time according to their own tests.

And it's not like any of those guns or knives that have been brought onto planes in the last 10 years made any difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.