Search

TSA wants to be armed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
TSA wants to be armed

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/23/politi...ns-protection/

Hell no! I don't trust these idiots to slice my bagel properly much less handle a gun.

What are they smoking?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Its the typical knee jerk reaction as the same thing was said after the shooting of a TSO at LAX and I am 100% against arming TSO's (and for sake of argument, it would be fun to see how many would wash out after failing the background check required for this as it's different than the background check they passed to become a TSO )
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Its the typical knee jerk reaction as the same thing was said after the shooting of a TSO at LAX and I am 100% against arming TSO's (and for sake of argument, it would be fun to see how many would wash out after failing the background check required for this as it's different than the background check they passed to become a TSO )
Haha! I didnt think of that.

One of my coworkers commented on TSA by saying - they are a workforce that has jobs after events of 9-11 and otherwise and would have stayed perpetually unemployed.

Should have found a more suitable job for them.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
To be more correct it's the TSA employees' union that's calling for an armed special TSA unit not DHS/TSA. The union obviously claims its interest is to protect its members but wouldn't hurt the union in terms of increased membership, higher waged members, etc. Personally I don't see the need for more Federal police. If DHS/TSA thinks they need to bring armed uniformed police back to security checkpoints then let local authorities supply them.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by goalie
(and for sake of argument, it would be fun to see how many would wash out after failing the background check required for this as it's different than the background check they passed to become a TSO )
Which is kinda my point about how arming TSOs could be a good thing ... pointing out the gap in training would be informative. (I don't want to say "amusing" ... I'm not much into schadenfreude.)

But, yeah, nobody likes that point of view, so back into the penalty box I go ...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which is kinda my point about how arming TSOs could be a good thing ... pointing out the gap in training would be informative. (I don't want to say "amusing" ... I'm not much into schadenfreude.)

But, yeah, nobody likes that point of view, so back into the penalty box I go ...
Actually I have no problem with your point of view. TSOs are not and were not hired to be armed law enforcement officers. Totally or at least significantly different set of skills. Locally there are a number of what appear to be physically disabled TSOs. Good for them. They got a job they can do despite their disability but probably no way they'd ever pass the physical requirements to be an armed officer. I suppose some would fail for other reasons like a background check. I'd go as far as to say there probably are a number right now who couldn't get enrolled in GE much less become an armed officer.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Oh, great, they've already started implementing policies...

"As part of our managed inconsistencies, we will randomly shoot a passenger every hour. We understand that this cause some inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we do our best to secure the checkpoint. Passengers under the age of 18 and over the age of 75 are excluded. Any passenger with a yellow tag on their carry-on will automatically become that hour's lucky winner..."
Mike
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:45 pm

the only time they should be assosiated with weapon is when they are facing it due to treason !
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
I don't think it will happen. Are we to arm Movie Theater Ushers, or School Teachers because of shootings? Let's arm the Homeless too. They get the worst of it.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houston.Business
I don't think it will happen. Are we to arm Movie Theater Ushers, or School Teachers because of shootings? Let's arm the Homeless too. They get the worst of it.
As you probably know some school districts in Texas have moved to allow some teachers to be armed.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
As long as we don't give the guns to postal clerks...

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Yeah, just what people need, MORE morons with guns
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

I follow BoardingArea on twitter and every few days they will retweet something utterly retarded from @TSA. I wonder if they are doing it as sarcasm? They really can't be supporting them (I hope)! ::eeps::
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:19 pm

^ I see you trying to use logic. That's not allowed.

There is no call to arm non-government/non-union victims.

There is a call to arm TSA's government/union clerks, but it has nothing to do with safety or security.

Wanna guess why?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ScatterX
^ I see you trying to use logic. That's not allowed.

There is no call to arm non-government/non-union victims.

There is a call to arm TSA's government/union clerks, but it has nothing to do with safety or security.

Wanna guess why?
Ooh, ooh, let me guess, please, please! It looks like this:
$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.