Wiki Posts
Search

TSA let convicted felon through Pre-Check

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

TSA let convicted felon through Pre-Check

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politi...eck/index.html

The Transportation Security Administration allowed an individual who was a convicted felon and former member of a domestic terror group through TSA pre-check at a U.S. airport last summer, according to a new government watchdog report.
Redacted OIG report: http://chsdemocrats.house.gov/sitedocuments/oig1545.pdf
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:45 am

This incident wasn't the first of its kind nor will it be the last.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm betting that the only reason some TSA employee knew the article-mentioned PreCheck LLL passenger's history was because of the TSA employee's political awareness and some kind of axe to grind over that passenger well past 65 years of age.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This incident wasn't the first of its kind nor will it be the last.
Indeed. And the planes with such screened passengers didn't all fly out of the sky.

It should be noted that if everyone were screened as PreCheck LLL passengers, flights would be no more or less secure than is currently the situation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 20, 2015 at 7:38 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:11 am

So you have access to the unredacted report, huh?

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 22, 2015 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended

I haven't seen this report's unredacted version yet. I did, however, ask the right questions of some of the right people to learn what I learned after making a few quick queries after seeing some of the news about this.

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:01 am

What does "LLL" mean on PreCheck?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
IIRC, LLL is what shows up on the document checker's little screen if your BP scans as valid for PreCheck.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:32 am

Thanks that part I know, but it's got to be an acronym for something "clever." Does it mean the passenger is Less Lethal Ligatures or some such thing?

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by petaluma1
What does "LLL" mean on PreCheck?
Liquids, laptops, laces ok, or something like that, if not a fabricated risk level measure.

CLR (as in need to clear) as counterpart to LLL.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:31 am

That's rather the way I was leaning......

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
GE has some Felons approved, what is the bug deal, 50% of the peoulation has been in jail, and soon 50% will be Illegal Citizens,,

Change the laws let everyone come out and let's accept everyone a equal
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Let's just come out and say it, it was Bill Ayers. I wouldn't want to sit next to him on a plane, not because he'd try to blow it out of the sky (his bombing days are long past him, and he wasn't very good at it at the time), but because he's an insufferable bore, and there's a risk my noise-cancelling headphone battery might die.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Let's just come out and say it, it was Bill Ayers. I wouldn't want to sit next to him on a plane, not because he'd try to blow it out of the sky (his bombing days are long past him, and he wasn't very good at it at the time), but because he's an insufferable bore, and there's a risk my noise-cancelling headphone battery might die.
^ LOL! Agreed!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

The USG has deliberately kept some known or suspected terrorists off the no-fly and other aviation watch lists, supposedly so as not to alert some of them that they are known or suspected terrorists or so as to have a USG-working relationship with some of them.

Even putting that aside, why is it any surprise that various current or former terrorists currently free in the US would end up with PreCheck LLL sometimes? As long as they are screened for contraband WEIs, their getting PreCheck LLL doesn't bother me; rather, I find that PreCheck LLL type screening at the airport should be the default screening standard for passengers in the main.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Time for the media to muddle the sheeple's interpretation of "expedited screening" to become "insufficient screening".

I actually agree with the TSA response to #1. (Cue hell freezing over.)

It seems that OIG has confused "conditions to get PreCheck EVERY TIME via enrollment" to mean that "anyone ineligible to enroll in PreCheck should never receive PreCheck screening."

TSA's response is that if there was any reason to believe there was any sort of suspected threat to aviation security, Mr. 60s radical would be on one of the naughty lists and would be SSSS instead. They (correctly IMO) hold he is no greater a threat than any random person and the PreCheck screening is sufficient to ensure he isn't a threat on that specific day of travel.

I'm rather impressed that the BDO didn't just cave to the TSO that was raising a stink that day. Maybe the BDO saw microexpressions on the TSO that indicated that the TSO was the crackpot that day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.