DHS use of the Social Security Administration's Death Master File

Old Mar 17, 15, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

DHS wants to tighten up the accuracy of the SSA's Death Master File so that more Social Security numbers are matched with death of the individuals. Sounds all well and good to reduce fraudulent ID use and other stolen identity related issues, but the problem with that is some people who are alive have been noted as dead:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamo...ty-death-list/

And once mistakenly added to the Death Master File, the living innocents find that a fix is not all that easy and all sorts of trouble hit them when doing ordinary things in life, including while trying to travel.

The public as a whole may not care that some SSA info is somehow being used for TSA PreCheck determinations. I'm hoping the US Senate investigates PreCheck LLL outcomes for those who are dead or listed as "dead" when not, if only to make more people aware of how SSA numbers are being used to measure us Americans when we travel.
Old Mar 17, 15, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
DHS wants to tighten up the accuracy of the SSA's Death Master File so that more Social Security numbers are matched with death of the individuals. Sounds all well and good to reduce fraudulent ID use and other stolen identity related issues, but the problem with that is some people who are alive have been noted as dead:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamo...ty-death-list/

And once mistakenly added to the Death Master File, the living innocents find that a fix is not all that easy and all sorts of trouble hit them when doing ordinary things in life, including while trying to travel.

The public as a whole may not care that some SSA info is somehow being used for TSA PreCheck determinations. I'm hoping the US Senate investigates PreCheck LLL outcomes for those who are dead or listed as "dead" when not, if only to make more people aware of how SSA numbers are being used to measure us Americans when we travel.
60 Minutes did a segment on this problem on Sunday night. One woman was reduced to living in her car for 6 months after being declared dead by the SSA and is now living in a trailer in a campground. That was not her lifestyle before the government screwed (can I say that here?) her over.
Old Mar 17, 15, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
60 Minutes did a segment on this problem on Sunday night. One woman was reduced to living in her car for 6 months after being declared dead by the SSA and is now living in a trailer in a campground. That was not her lifestyle before the government screwed (can I say that here?) her over.
The SSA Death Master File not including around 6.5 million SSA numbers issued to people who would, if alive, now be over 110 years of age was a factor in consideration when I thought about starting this thread. Obviously we don't have anywhere close to 6.5 million Americans over age 110 despite what the SSA queries may indicate. That is a lot of people whose ID may have enabled PreCheck LLL screening outcomes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 17, 15 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 17, 15, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The larger point is that if government records get screwed up, the burden for straightening the mess out lies with the citizen and the government assumes a largely obstructionist role in fixing things.

The more the agencies share every detail of our lives, the more vulnerable we are if there is an error - far more vulnerable people realize until it happens.
Old Mar 17, 15, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The SSA Death Master File not including around 6.5 million SSA numbers issued to people who would, if alive, now be over 110 years of age was a factor in consideration when I thought about starting this thread. Obviously we don't have anywhere close to 6.5 million Americans over age 110 despite what the SSA queries may indicate. That is a lot of people whose ID may have enabled PreCheck LLL screening outcomes.
I believe you once implied that there are individuals who have been granted PreCheck who really were/are not eligible and could be problematic.
Old Mar 17, 15, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
I believe you once implied that there are individuals who have been granted PreCheck who really were/are not eligible and could be problematic.
Yes. But most such mentions/indications by me were about people who were using their own non-fraudulently-issued government ID. Some such mentions/indications involving how fraudulent SSA numbers may be unlawfully used to get PreCheck LLL are to be found in some of my posts.

I've never been a fan of the "some free people are more 'equal' than other free people" approaches applying to access/use of public facilities; and in part my opposition to such "trusted traveler" approaches is there because I have known how ridiculously easy it is to circumvent such measures so as to get treated as an "equal" even when the government wants to divide and rule more than it already has.
Old Mar 18, 15, 9:01 am

remember when the social security number was only for social security business?

Is it interesting that there have been identity thieves since our geniuses in DC removed that bit of information

what's next, tattooing the SS number on our foreheads?
Old Mar 18, 15, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DIFIN View Post
remember when the social security number was only for social security business?

Is it interesting that there have been identity thieves since our geniuses in DC removed that bit of information

what's next, tattooing the SS number on our foreheads?
I still have older SocSec cards that say the number is not to be used for other identification purposes or something like that.

I suspect we will end up with something like DNA sampling at birth to give governments a monitor/control method over the life and movements of the person. Then they can more reliably track deaths too.
Old Mar 18, 15, 5:14 pm

"I still have older SocSec cards that say the number is not to be used for other identification purposes or something like that."

What a blast from the past.
It's become routine for cops to demand this number when they detain you for
something.

Search this Thread