Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passengers Departing the US Searched for Drugs / Undeclared Money on Jet Bridge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Departing the US Searched for Drugs / Undeclared Money on Jet Bridge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
No, my point was that so many of these "security" agencies seem to operate under the umbrella of fear, rather than public service. People should not fear the government. Government should fear the people.
Based on what OP described, CBP didn't do anything outside of their search; didn't mention they will miss their flight if they don't cooperate.

The fear OP experienced was self generated.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:25 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Is it fine to force us to write the only $300 we were carrying and than demand to sign our names? She herself said you are allowed to carry up to $5000. She Checked everything we had for 10 mins . She couldn't find any illegal cash or illegal stuffs she hoped and prayed for and she would still copy some information from my passport on a piece of paper.
The reason they did that is if they did find you were carrying half a million dollars, it will stand up in court that a.) they gave you an opportunity to declare and b.) there is written proof of that declaration.

Were you upset that they "forced" you to make a declaration of that you were picked for the search?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
No, my point was that so many of these "security" agencies seem to operate under the umbrella of fear, rather than public service. People should not fear the government. Government should fear the people.
Do you really fear your government because they CAN ask you if you have a lot of currency on you, and check to make sure that your answer is true when you are at the airport. You won't be harmed, just inconvenienced for about 5 minutes.

Or is it just a hollow statement you are making? It's a law enforcement agency with a specific task, nothing more.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the US does not have outbound Customs or immigration formalities, it has the right to impose them and does so on a random basis (or not so random). Primary searches are for cash and drugs.

CBP on the jetway is pretty common and it can occur for random reasons or because CBP has an actual specific concern.

The questioning and search can be just as intrusive as a search and questioning inbound to the US.

Whether OP was selected for inappropriate reasons or not, is something nobody here can determine.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
She herself said you are allowed to carry up to $5000.
The limit is $10000 ... and I don't think it's per group, it's per persn.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Nope... per group/family. They want to avoid that if you travel with a large family/group you divide your money among it's members. But it's nothing more than a declaration what you are traveling with.
As pointed out before, they simply want you to declare what you have so if you they find more you will have made a false declaration.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RTW1
Nope... per group/family. They want to avoid that if you travel with a large family/group you divide your money among it's members. But it's nothing more than a declaration what you are traveling with.
Ww - I never knew it was per group but the regulations clearly state this:
Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.
As pointed out before, they simply want you to declare what you have so if you they find more you will have made a false declaration.
Yes - clearly.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf

Seems like whenever law enforcement does their job and the person being searched happens to be a minority, it is automatically labelled as discrimination.
That is not how it goes, even if that is how you want it to seem or see it. But these dragnets that use racist profiling do involve discrimination.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:02 am
Suspended

It's per individual, household or any other group -- depends on how CBP wants to have it on such matters. They can claim unlawful structuring too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing unlawful about exporting currency. You must simply declare $10K+. The crime is failing to declare it (unless, of course, there is some other crime involved as well).
zephyr17 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That is not how it goes, even if that is how you want it to seem or see it. But these dragnets that use racist profiling do involve discrimination.
Nothing in OPs account suggest that is the case.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And a dragnet at the airport targeting Asians on a flight to Korea....
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason they did that is if they did find you were carrying half a million dollars, it will stand up in court that a.) they gave you an opportunity to declare and b.) there is written proof of that declaration.

Were you upset that they "forced" you to make a declaration of that you were picked for the search?
Exactly. They're trying to leave no doubt that a crime was committed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ww - I never knew it was per group but the regulations clearly state this:
Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.
Yes - clearly.
I never realized this, either--I thought it was per person.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

The dragnet targeting Asians on an Asian-heavy flight doesn't mean all the Asians on it will be hit by the racist profiling in the same way, if at all. The racist profiling advocates don't have sufficient time and other resources to check in the same way each and every subject who meets a perceived ethnic classification; and so they send all the people through the dragnet but choose to hit a small subset of the dragnet subjects fulfilling the racist profiling criteria and then subject them to more intensive screening and searches while trying to make an example of those whom they subjected to these racist profiling-based searches.

Nothing in OPs account suggest that is the case.
Actually, the OP's account suggests it is the case.

The flights to, and traffic for, mainland Asia (mainly PRC, South Korea and India) have been the primary targets of the racist profiling CBP hunt for non-drugs-related undeclared, cash (or certain other financial instruments) above $10k when there is no identified individual targeted AND found in violation of the declaration requirment for the targeted flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.