Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sweden/ARN's desire for US CBP PreClearance

Sweden/ARN's desire for US CBP PreClearance

Old May 29, 15, 4:12 pm
  #106  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 97,998
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
The thread title is misleading.

Sweden, contrary to OP's statement hasn't gotten US preclearance. Rather it is one of several countries with which USCIS is negotiating to establish a preclearance facility.
The current thread title is not misleading. It is a factual representation in anthropomorphic terms.

That said, your reference was to an interim thread which was merged into this one. That thread title was indeed sort of unrepresentative of the current state.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 29, 15, 4:14 pm
  #107  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 97,998
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
...together with eight other countries. According to Dagens Nyheter right now (http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/sve...dfil-in-i-usa/). Would be good news for SAS, if true. But maybe not for CPH?
It would be bad news for this passenger out of ARN, more so if I'm to be on SK than if I am to be on other airlines.

It's going to be quite some time until this goes live at ARN.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 29, 15, 8:13 pm
  #108  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,697
I'm starting to see less and less reason for establishing pre checks outside the US. With the new automated options for esta holders, processing is getting very quick. On my last trip, changing planes in DFW, it tool 35 minutes from touchdown on the runway until I was sitting in Admirals Club (having to recheck luggage as well) and the trip before that to LAX it took 20 minutes from I walked out of the plane until I was waiting for the shuttle for the rental car. Could have been quicker if I did not have to wait 5 minutes for luggage.

It must be cheaper for the US government to invest more in these automated and very efficient options, than in CBP points abroad.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 29, 15, 11:55 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 2,186
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I'm starting to see less and less reason for establishing pre checks outside the US. With the new automated options for esta holders, processing is getting very quick. On my last trip, changing planes in DFW, it tool 35 minutes from touchdown on the runway until I was sitting in Admirals Club (having to recheck luggage as well) and the trip before that to LAX it took 20 minutes from I walked out of the plane until I was waiting for the shuttle for the rental car. Could have been quicker if I did not have to wait 5 minutes for luggage.

It must be cheaper for the US government to invest more in these automated and very efficient options, than in CBP points abroad.
Being able to drop off in a relevant *A domestic terminal and not having to make the trek from an international terminal is what makes it great. Yes, immigration has gotten better with the new automated ESTA immigration but it usually just means you still end up waiting for your bags first, then make the journey to the domestic terminal, pass security again and only then be able to change to a domestic connection. Easy a 1 hour process at places such as IAD, EWR and ORD.

With pre-clearance and traveling only on hand-luggage I can make a 30 minute connection without any hurdles because I can move from the long haul plane to the domestic one in the same terminal. This is relevant because it is now often faster to transfer in the US than it would be to fly to LHR or ZRH first and then do the long haul directly into the destination. Which is exactly what the US government wants to achieve, more business for its own airlines and ARN is a perfect match for that scenario.
FlyingMoose is offline  
Old May 30, 15, 1:35 am
  #110  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 97,998
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I'm starting to see less and less reason for establishing pre checks outside the US. With the new automated options for esta holders, processing is getting very quick. On my last trip, changing planes in DFW, it tool 35 minutes from touchdown on the runway until I was sitting in Admirals Club (having to recheck luggage as well) and the trip before that to LAX it took 20 minutes from I walked out of the plane until I was waiting for the shuttle for the rental car. Could have been quicker if I did not have to wait 5 minutes for luggage.

It must be cheaper for the US government to invest more in these automated and very efficient options, than in CBP points abroad.
It is cheaper to fix things inside the US (rather than in the EU/EEA) so as to make processing faster for passengers in the main, but the current U.S. CBP Preclearance expansion push isn't being pursued to make things faster/easier for passengers going to the U.S.; rather it is being done for "security"/CYA reasons, including as a way to address critics of the U.S. VWP and others who are afraid of visitors being an "extraordinary" security threat.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 30, 15, 1:59 pm
  #111  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 19,508
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Being able to drop off in a relevant *A domestic terminal and not having to make the trek from an international terminal is what makes it great.
Given that UA and SK no longer have a TATL code share agreement, I highly doubt UA will be willing to give up a gate (or two) in EWR/ORD/IAD/SFO to accommodate SK. Especially since LH already takes up space; even more so since CPH won't get pre-clearance.
pseudoswede is offline  
Old May 30, 15, 2:50 pm
  #112  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 97,998
When a politician speaks, beware of the forked tongue:

http://www.thelocal.se/20150530/a-tr...oon-for-travel

The US ambassador to Sweden is a nice fellow, but here he is playing parrot to the official line, despite the fact that this isn't the boon to frequent travelers like myself who fly often between the US and Sweden.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Given that UA and SK no longer have a TATL code share agreement, I highly doubt UA will be willing to give up a gate (or two) in EWR/ORD/IAD/SFO to accommodate SK. Especially since LH already takes up space; even more so since CPH won't get pre-clearance.
CPH wants preclearance, as I've posted about before.

UA and SK do codeshare in serving TATL passengers, or I must have missed something. If not, then perhaps you are talking about just the long-haul TATL flights?

Last edited by GUWonder; May 30, 15 at 3:17 pm
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 30, 15, 4:51 pm
  #113  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,697
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
Being able to drop off in a relevant *A domestic terminal and not having to make the trek from an international terminal is what makes it great. Yes, immigration has gotten better with the new automated ESTA immigration but it usually just means you still end up waiting for your bags first, then make the journey to the domestic terminal, pass security again and only then be able to change to a domestic connection. Easy a 1 hour process at places such as IAD, EWR and ORD.

With pre-clearance and traveling only on hand-luggage I can make a 30 minute connection without any hurdles because I can move from the long haul plane to the domestic one in the same terminal. This is relevant because it is now often faster to transfer in the US than it would be to fly to LHR or ZRH first and then do the long haul directly into the destination. Which is exactly what the US government wants to achieve, more business for its own airlines and ARN is a perfect match for that scenario.
I doubt that SK is going to start using different gates in SFO or EWR due to pre clearance, they will just be letting you out in to the secure airside terminal space as with domestic arrivals. The move between terminals will be the same as before depending on your onward flight.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 30, 15, 6:53 pm
  #114  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 19,508
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
UA and SK do codeshare in serving TATL passengers, or I must have missed something. If not, then perhaps you are talking about just the long-haul TATL flights?
The latter. Not sure how SK will acquire gates at ORD that are not in T5.
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 1:30 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,935
The last few times I have been through a US gateway it is has been extremely fast (relative speaking. So less and less reason to have pre-clearance. Then I would just have to be earlier at CPH - and or allow more transit time in whatever European gateway.

Further I have a hard time seeing SK flights from e.g. ARN beein precleared - while those from CPH are not. Makes for a very inconsistent service.
FT Guest xyzpdq is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 4:10 am
  #116  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,697
Originally Posted by OFFlyer View Post
The last few times I have been through a US gateway it is has been extremely fast (relative speaking. So less and less reason to have pre-clearance. Then I would just have to be earlier at CPH - and or allow more transit time in whatever European gateway.

Further I have a hard time seeing SK flights from e.g. ARN beein precleared - while those from CPH are not. Makes for a very inconsistent service.
I would exactly worry that the staffing to process a whole flight in Arlanda would be insufficient to do it in a reasonable time before departure, what I potentially save in the US is more than lost in Europe. I would especially worry about connecting to a pre clearance airport.

I don't see the point about difference between CPH and ARN, it is not like SK chooses to offer it or it is an SK provided service. It is a difference in airport infrastructure.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jun 1, 15, 8:53 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ARN
Posts: 1,031
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin View Post
Please in this thread take note: some of the anti-PreClearance is coming from people having US citizenship. I'd feel differently, too, if I got to take the 'Murican line upon arrival at EWR.
This thread is fascinating.

I am a US passport holder with Global Entry living in Stockholm. And yes I want the pre-clearance at my home airport ARN.

For many reasons:

Similar to GUWonder I travel with people of all nationalities, though mostly Swedish.

I have flown DUB-ATL in DL biz and I went from wheels down to lounge (I was connecting to SAN) in under 15 minutes. There was no additional security in ATL, nor do I recall any additional security in DUB. There was standard airport security in DUB and then POE immigration (and then an uncomfortable place to wait until boarding) and this was spring of 2008.

F-pier is the obvious choice, and I am confident Memzies will jump at building a modest lounge post-immigration. YVR also has a lounge post CBP that I've used.

This could, in theory, make ARN an attractive city for US carriers again...and their generous [sic] FF programs. Imagine AA bringing PHL back, or even - dare I say it - a fifth freedom flight.

Lemme say what's not being said. I think there is some unconscious resentment towards DY that is carrying over into this discussion. I know, I know, the kettles that fly Norwegian should be waiting in lines. Heck I feel it a bit. On the other hand, cheap DY premium economy has accidentally created some inexpensive J fares from Northern Europe.

My first reaction was that DY is the big winner, I won't be surprised if they add another city or two. Meh, they're probably gonna do that with/without this. SAS is already developing plans for service to LAX (and other cities) with the A350. But I miss the ARN-ATL flight, even though it was seasonal in 2005-2009 (+/-) maybe it could fill up year round, especially if it's a 75X instead of the 763 they were using then.



Here's more of my opinion. Processing pre-departure at ARN is going to go up a few minutes. That kinda stinks. But I'd much rather pay some extra time before my flights, than play immigration roulet at the lousy airports in my country of origin.
w0r1dtrave1er is offline  
Old Jun 2, 15, 6:18 am
  #118  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ARN
Posts: 1,031
Seth's take on the decision:
http://blog.wandr.me/2015/06/the-lat...n-plan-losers/
w0r1dtrave1er is offline  
Old Jun 2, 15, 4:23 pm
  #119  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er View Post
This thread is fascinating.

I am a US passport holder with Global Entry living in Stockholm. And yes I want the pre-clearance at my home airport ARN.
.
That sounds like good considerations. Also, not bad for ARN as an airport otherwise not central to anything (not even Stockholm itself!) to offer stuff like this.

I basically just wish I could fork some money out and be done with the queues. I'm flying BA First - thank you, fully flex J ticket that got upgraded (SAS, take note) - later this month to The Land of the Free(ish), wonder if there's a fast track immigration or something at the end of that.
FlyerTalker01565 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 15, 5:04 pm
  #120  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Posts: 15,697
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin View Post
That sounds like good considerations. Also, not bad for ARN as an airport otherwise not central to anything (not even Stockholm itself!) to offer stuff like this.

I basically just wish I could fork some money out and be done with the queues. I'm flying BA First - thank you, fully flex J ticket that got upgraded (SAS, take note) - later this month to The Land of the Free(ish), wonder if there's a fast track immigration or something at the end of that.
Supposedly no. Though I have no personal experience with BA first to the US, so only reporting what I have heard.
BA's pay J (full flex) and fly F campaigns are not bad if you fly full flex anyway....
CPH-Flyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread