Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Have you ever gone through US airport customs with no luggage whatsoever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

No carry on, no checked bag, nothing.

Just walk off an international flight, traveling alone, hand them blue form, nothing in your hands at all.

I'm just curious if this freaks out the CBP officers or what would happen.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
No Problem

Done it hundreds of times. Sometimes they ask the nature of your travel, most times nothing. Never had a secondary, but I have GE.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I used to do day trips to Toronto and Montreal all the time. I had a laptop bag, but that was it.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
The name's Bond, James Bond.

I bet it is a bit strange, but since the agents see flights from all over simultaneously, I don't think they're really assessing how much someone should be carrying.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK T8 (AA), a several years ago a family (mother, father, 2 children) were exiting CBP; they told the agent they were away for just a weekend and had no bags...agent did think anything was "out of the ordinary" and sent them out to the exit.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by jphripjah
No carry on, no checked bag, nothing.

Just walk off an international flight, traveling alone, hand them blue form, nothing in your hands at all.

I'm just curious if this freaks out the CBP officers or what would happen.
Yep; done it many times between MEX-ORD. No problems whatsoever in my case.

--J
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:09 pm

No issues at all. I've done YYZ to PDX several times in one week without luggage, just a notepad.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:58 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
regularly - I do day trips to the British Virgin Islands quite often
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I usually travel with my laptop backpack, many TB and International trips. GE/Nexus help. They only airport where it raised attention was in POS.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Some day I want to take a transoceanic trip, ship all my luggage home, walk through US customs with absolutely nothing.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:59 am

Never had any problems. Sometimes they ask me if I have any luggage and I answer in the negative and am waived through. That's about it.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
I travel from Canada to the US, always with a small carry-on or something like a folder only (nothing wheeled), no problems. But I'm a Canadian coming *to* the US for a visit and I think you're asking about US citizens returning from a trip?

On that note, I have had CBSA on my return to Canada ask me "where are your bags? no bags?" on multiple occasions. So maybe it's odd not to have luggage, but I've never had any problems other than that one extra question.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done a few 3 day trips to europe with just a small bag for laptop and clothes and they didn't say anything.

My partner (US citizen living in Canada) regularly flys back and forth with just a messenger bag since she has residences on both sides of the border and it doesn't raise any questions.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:10 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I do it fairly often. A couple times with no bag at all, most with just a small satchel or leather briefcase.

I was only nagged once (which I wrote about here some time ago) and that was early on in the GE period when it was still just three airports in the pilot including IAH and before IAH got one-stop exit for GE.

Upon customs exit I handing in my GE receipt and the CBP guy kind of looked me over and asked if that small briefcase was my only bag to which I replied yes. To which he started asking a lot of questions (he was Caucasian but spoke with an extremely heavy French-esq accent and was hard to understand). I was fairly vague in my first few responses and then asked him how much luggage was I supposed to have and he just kind of looked at me. He asked what I "did" and I noted I could not get into it at the time due to security rules (which was the truth) and then he waved me on.

Other than that I am never stopped in the US. I have had the guardia di finanza stop a few times exiting Italia with just a briefcase but they have been fairly short. The Germans stopped me once last December but they actually were stopping every single person, and they asked if it was my only bag but did not seem surprised by it.

I cross border 50+ times a year, often with only a small bag so my hit rate is luckily very small for stops. Viva GE and one-stop. YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.