Meet The 2014 TSA Clerk of the Year

Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:00 am

Wow,she offered to stay later after her normal shift...On the clock,too , I presume .

I do a lot of extra stuff at work,too. I just don't go around telling everyone I did it,looking for an 'atta-boy'.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If the reports are indicative of what she does, that's great.

At the same time, if I behaved this way at work, these are the issues that would be raised:

1) if I am on the clock, I have specific duties to perform. It is not acceptable for me to skip what I should be doing to pursue other activities, however worthwhile. I can not, for example, step outside and sell Girl Scout cookies or take an elderly patient shopping.

2) if I am on the clock and I have a lot of spare time to perform these worthy duties that are not in my job description, then the question comes up: why do I have so much free time?

She's a spotnik. She's supposed to be identifying potential bad guys. If she steps up to someone who looks tense or stressed and determines that the pax is not a threat but is distressed for other reasons, then her job is to move on.

This award makes it sound like she'd being praised, not for doing her assigned duties (spotnik) but for doing helpful customer-service functions on company time. When she's running out to her car to get her coat (unless this all took place on her break), she's not 'spotting' potential bad guys. One layer of security is being completely ignored. It's either an important layer or not.

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of someone getting praised for offering to stay over at the end of shift. In my work, OT is gold and there is never any shortage of people willing to work double or (rarely) triple shifts for the $. I do have to wonder, though: where is her management/STSO/LTSO when she's figuring out that a new checkpoint needs to be opened?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by MusicManSamwise
So I'm assuming your job and your supervisors are absolutely perfect then? You've never been asked to do anything you found objectionable in some way? If so, maybe you wanted to resign. OK. Could you do that tomorrow and still be able to support yourself and any family during the search for your next job?

I'm all for judging the TSA as an organization, just like any other. But on a personal level, we have no idea what this woman's situation is, and she needs and deserves to earn a living like all of us.

I know I've certainly found myself a part of toxic organizations before that were very difficult to escape. Sometimes all you can do is do your level best to change what you can, then clock out and take nothing home with you but the money.
^^^

+100000

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
No, you can quit. I did. I have been self-employed for almost 25 years. I do not take jobs at places that require me to do things I consider wrong. I have lost income because of it. However, I can hold my head up and not be embarrassed about anything my work has been.

It is hard to quit. It may cost friends and money to quit. However, sometimes you just have to quit and do something else.
That's so nice of you to offer her a job at similar or higher pay and/or with similar or better hours/perks/convenience. I doubt you'd be suggesting she quit and look for a job in such a wonderful economy that doesn't seem so keen on hiring people, especially people past their mid-30s...

Originally Posted by United_727
Wow,she offered to stay later after her normal shift...On the clock,too , I presume .

I do a lot of extra stuff at work,too. I just don't go around telling everyone I did it,looking for an 'atta-boy'.
And I'm sure she didn't either. When I do overtime, I don't need to tell anyone. My timestamps tell my bosses everything.
Also, if I proactively go to my boss and offer to stay later, I don't need to fish for compliments - he notices by my offering. And not offering and just staying isn't "being mature by not asking for compliments" - it's a stupid decision as your manager has no idea you're there to help out
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by United_727

The TSA is an organization that brags about how many guns they find each week. That is their most basic function and they post about the great job they did finding them.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
And I'm sure she didn't either. When I do overtime, I don't need to tell anyone. My timestamps tell my bosses everything.
Also, if I proactively go to my boss and offer to stay later, I don't need to fish for compliments - he notices by my offering. And not offering and just staying isn't "being mature by not asking for compliments" - it's a stupid decision as your manager has no idea you're there to help out
(bolding mine)

That's one perspective.

I would suggest that if my manager 'has no idea', then my manager is probably equally clueless about other things. It is his/her job to know who is working, when they're working and what they're working on. JMO

If an employee regularly has to step in and do a manager's (LTSO, STSO, suits) job because the manager is AWOL/incompetent, then that employee deserves more than a 'thank you'. That employee deserves the manager's pay for doing the manager's job.

(I use 'manager' to include suits, LTSOs and STSOs. What is going on, that multiple LTSOs and STSOs are standing around jacking their jaws and doing nothing while the lines back up - instead a spotnik, who has other responsibilities, has to step in and do their job for them).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476
The TSA is an organization that brags about how many guns they find each week. That is their most basic function and they post about the great job they did finding them.
Every single time we have something that needs extra manpower, if my boss hasn't already asked me if I can stay, and if I am able to stay, I let him know I'm available. This is me simply being a responsible adult.

I find FT has sunk to yet a new low when someone making a responsible decision is chided for "fishing for compliments," simply because she works for the TSA
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Every single time we have something that needs extra manpower, if my boss hasn't already asked me if I can stay, and if I am able to stay, I let him know I'm available. This is me simply being a responsible adult.

I find FT has sunk to yet a new low when someone making a responsible decision is chided for "fishing for compliments," simply because she works for the TSA
I don't think anyone is saying anything negative about the employee. It is TSA that is 'fishing for compliments' by praising an employee - not for performing the tasks she's paid to perform, but for performing other duties that are not her responsibility.

That's admirable, but at the same time, it's neither appropriate nor standard practice in 'normal' workplaces.

She's a spotnik. Unless there are zero pax at the airport, there are no 'slack' times in her job. She always has pax to observe, analyze and, if suspicious, chat up and evaluate for more aggressive handling. If she's taking time to do 'good Samaritan' tasks and to take on LTSO/STSO/suit responsiblities, then she's taking time away from her spotting duties.

If those spotting duties are truly a significant 'layer' in our security, then we are all being put at risk when she neglects her duties, just as we are when an xray operator is distracted by conversations with fellow TSOs and doesn't pay attention to what's on the screen.

You would think that with so many checkpoint TSOs (especially LTSOs and STSOs) assigned to 'stand around and jack your jaws with your fellow workers' duty that TSA could perhaps assign one of them to 'bark-free traveller assistance' duties.

If I walk out of an important meeting or neglect a critical task at work because I run out to the parking lot to get a coat for someone cold, I'm going to hear about it. When I'm on the job, I'm not being paid to perform 'good Samaritan duties' instead of my assigned work.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I don't think anyone is saying anything negative about the employee.
Read United_727's post above

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.