Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Woman dies after airport scanner interferes with her pacemaker (Russia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

A woman fitted with a pacemaker has died after passing through an airport scanner in the southern Russian town of Ulan-Ude.

Diana Tolstova, 30, died in the airport minutes after passing through the scanner. Her husband Maxim, 33, said that they had provided papers proving that Mrs Tolstova was fitted with the heart device – which is adversely affected by airport scanners.
From here.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:49 pm

Airport security: 1
Airport terrorists: 0
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:05 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Rather sad news to hear. I hope that airport security agencies around the world will learn from this incident and establish policies to prevent it from happening again.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! I cannot not believe this. How it did happen? She cannot go through the scanner. She had a pacemaker. She does not want go through the scanners. She gotten almost heart attacks. She doesn't want to get a heart attacks.

Who fault?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I recently flew out of a small Russian airport (think 5 flights a day), where no-one spoke any English and my Russian wasn't much better. I wear an insulin pump and the lady guarding the WTMD initially thinking it was a mobile phone, tried to get me to remove it. When I pointed out it was connected to my body, she immediately sent me round the WTMD and wouldn't let me through it all. I think she suspected it was a pacemaker. I ended up with a cursory pat-down the other side of the detector. All very friendly and all communications by hand-waving.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! I cannot not believe this. How it did happen? She cannot go through the scanner. She had a pacemaker. She does not want go through the scanners. She gotten almost heart attacks. She doesn't want to get a heart attacks.

Who fault?
Yeah, why in the world did she go through the scanner? I see nothing in there about them forcing her.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, why in the world did she go through the scanner? I see nothing in there about them forcing her.
How would we know? Certainly the screening authority isn't going to admit they forced her, and we'll never know what she would say about the matter.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
I found a Russian version of the article with more details here:
http://www.infpol.ru/glavnye-novosti...odetektor.html

It wasn't a full body scanner but a plain old pre-9/11 metal detector.

From both reports it's unclear if she was forced through but given the Russian version says she'd never flown, I suspect she walked through without understanding what was going on.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/532028

In case anyone wants to read medical literature about implanted devices.

The title is misleading as the article doesn't appear to have any reliable sources to attribute to her cause of death.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ronin308
It wasn't a full body scanner but a plain old pre-9/11 metal detector.

From both reports it's unclear if she was forced through but given the Russian version says she'd never flown, I suspect she walked through without understanding what was going on.
That makes more sense. She knew she wasn't supposed to go through the scanner but she didn't recognize the scanner and went through it anyway.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My mom have an implanted pacemaker.

She has a special ID tag that she shows airport security and she is pat down with a wand instead of going through any scanner.
She was warned about pacemaker and airport security scanners.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:33 am

Why would they make pacemakers not adequately shielded to handle the field of a metal detector?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by alexmt
Why would they make pacemakers not adequately shielded to handle the field of a metal detector?
They can but how much would it weigh and how much would it cost?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/532028

In case anyone wants to read medical literature about implanted devices.

The title is misleading as the article doesn't appear to have any reliable sources to attribute to her cause of death.
That link required a login to the medscape site. When doing my own googling, I found several contradictory articles from places like WebMD etc. Most articles stated there was a possibility and there was several pointing to a2003 study by the Germans showing there wasn't a possibility.

You're correct, all of the new reporting is simply attributing it to the metal detector because it is the most likely cause, however it's possible that some other factor caused it as well.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexmt
My thought, also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.