Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Outgoing TSA chief says "random" precheck status is ending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver, SPG P+

Here's a video interview with John Pistole from USA Today. He says that they were offering "free samples" to get more people interested in the program.

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/18917361/
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM
I think it also means that unless you pay for the Pre-TSA check or pay for
Global Entry, you will no longer get it just because you have entered your birth date in your airline profile. I think that will affect a lot of people.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like good news to me.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:00 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Good. At MCO yesterday afternoon, *everyone* was directed thru TSA Pre. Perhaps as there were surprisingly few people there at 4pm on a Sunday compared to the last few weeks.

A young woman in front of me started going thru her bag and going to pull stuff out. I shook my head, set my backpack on the belt ahead of her and walked thru the metal detector.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
Sounds like excellent news to me. Friday i waited entirely too long for a family to go through pre-check. I politely said excuse me and dropped my bags in front of them and proceeded through the detector. Its funny how many non pre-check passengers get pre-check and bullox the entire line up.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think it also means that unless you pay for the Pre-TSA check or pay for
Global Entry, you will no longer get it just because you have entered your birth date in your airline profile. I think that will affect a lot of people.
The Times had an editorial about Pre-Check and the retirement of Mr Pistole in last Friday's paper

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/op...ne-safety.html

I do not believe Pre-Check should only be open to those who have signed up for GE with the $85 fee. It should be open to all domestic passengers who have entered their secure flight data and are deemed to be a very low risk.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
The Times had an editorial about Pre-Check and the retirement of Mr Pistole in last Friday's paper

I do not believe Pre-Check should only be open to those who have signed up for GE with the $85 fee. It should be open to all domestic passengers who have entered their secure flight data and are deemed to be a very low risk.
The fee for CBP GE is $100, reimbursed by the regular AmEx Plat charge card. NEXUS costs only $50.

The fee for TSA PreCheck is $85.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:25 am

Wouldn't that--running a check to see the "risk" presented--negate the benefit of the $85 standalone Pre membership, and much of the benefit of GE membership?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sky303
Wouldn't that--running a check to see the "risk" presented--negate the benefit of the $85 standalone Pre membership, and much of the benefit of GE membership?
Depends on how much overseas travel you do. For me, GE is So Totally Worth It.

O/H
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Now MSP just needs to figure out signage that keeps non-PRE passengers from trying to enter the PRE line. Every time I fly MSP, there's always an airport employee at the line entrance, denying at least 50% of the folks trying to enter the line. Seems like a waste of money and labor.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
If I remember right, the $100 GE fee is good for at least five years not just one year. I am in Hungary or I would check my account but that is the way I remember it.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Depends on how much overseas travel you do. For me, GE is So Totally Worth It.

O/H
Yeah, absolutely. I love and heavily use my GE membership at CBP, but I'd be lying if I said Pre wasn't a massive benefit to me.

Originally Posted by Xeno
If I remember right, the $100 GE fee is good for at least five years not just one year. I am in Hungary or I would check my account but that is the way I remember it.
Correct, five years.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
[deleted]
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by havnfn
At MCO yesterday afternoon, *everyone* was directed thru TSA Pre.
I doubt the ending of the "free sample" will change this. They will still direct non-pre folks to the pre line if the non-pre lines are too long.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM

I don't agree. If you are willing to spend the money and the time for the interview and the security clearance, you should get the preferential treatment. Many people don't care, so no need to do those things. I find it very useful.

I don't agree. If you are willing to spend the money and the time for the interview and security clearance, you should get preferential treatment. I find the time and money well worth it.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 17, 2014 at 11:58 pm Reason: Consolidation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.