Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
"NFLer rips TSA for spilling his mother's ashes" -- CNN

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
@ASKTSA finally, after coming under attack from many sides, did ask Francis for more information.

We want to look further into this. Please let us know which airport you traveled through, as well as the airline and flight information.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As reported above, just a a different source.

New York Giants' A.J. Francis says TSA spilled his mother's ashes in baggage inspection

New York Giants defensive lineman A.J. Francis slammed the Transportation Security Administration on Twitter Monday, saying the TSA spilled his mother’s ashes.
Won't print Francis's response since it would violate FT rules.

"We understand the emotional stress travelers are under when transporting the remains of a loved one. Our policies and procedures focus on ensuring that all passengers are treated with dignity, respect and courtesy.

"Our officers are trained to handle your carry-on and checked property with care. Out of respect for the deceased, under no circumstances should the container be opened. Please accept our apologies and our condolences."
OK, here is the issue. TSA says they treat passengers with dignity, respect and courtesy. TSA goes on to say that "under no circumstances should the container [cremains] be opened".

So why is it that TSA screeners routinely treat passengers poorly, without dignity, respect, or courtesy? Do I have a different understanding of what those words mean?

TSA says that under no circumstances will a cremains container be opened yet this isn't the first occurrence, in fact it's one of many over time. So why do TSA screeners get it wrong on this and so many other issues time and time again? Seriously, don't open cremains is a pretty basic performance standard. If a screener believes there is a security threat (read explosive threat) then I would think notifying appropriate investigators would be the proper step, not taking matters into their own hands. Or does TSA teach its screeners to open potential bombs?

I think I the know the answers but probably can't post here what I truly believe the root problems are so will let other readers express their thoughts on the issue if they so choose.
petaluma1 likes this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 10, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Obviously, this was the pax's fault for not clearly labelling the cremains, particularly since the pax seems to be aware of TSA's new 'War on Powders'.

As for not putting the top back on the container, I am not aware of any TSA policy that requires this, and it would appear from the frequent complaints about unopened containers being tossed back into bags that TSA does not require containers to be resealed. Re-sealing opened containers seems to be entirely a matter of FSD direction or screener discretion.

It seems perfectly clear that if TSA had an issue with screeners doing this, it would be easy enough to start by following up AskTSA complaints and reviewing camera footage to identify the TSOs who (allegedly) do this - and to identify the real culprits, rogue baggage handlers.

Besides, I'm sure a camera review will show that the baggage screener properly resealed the container and it was subsequently opened by an airline baggage handler with evil intentions.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It didn't take long for Propaganda Village to come to the defense of the Clerkforce.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:42 am

I am by no means a fan of the TSA, but I do have to say that at least with my best friend, the TSA at DFW did the right thing when screening the ashes of his Mother.

He left a huge note in his bag that the container had his Mother's ashes and explaining her wishes to have them spread over the waters of the BVI (where she grew up),asking the TSA to screen them carefully and providing his cell phone number if the TSA had any questions.

He got a call on his cell phone from the TSA saying that they had screened his Mother's ashes, that they had placed them back in his checked bag and how sorry they were for his loss (which while not necessary, was nice). In deed when he got the hotel in the BVI, he opened his checked bag and there was a note from the TSA saying that they had screened the bag and his Mother's ashes were indeed in tact and not (at least visually) disturbed in any way.

So, I am absolutely sure my buddy got lucky and that most times the TSA is absolutely careless with many things, not just ashes, but they can do the right thing every once in a while.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by kmersh
I am by no means a fan of the TSA, but I do have to say that at least with my best friend, the TSA at DFW did the right thing when screening the ashes of his Mother.

He left a huge note in his bag that the container had his Mother's ashes and explaining her wishes to have them spread over the waters of the BVI (where she grew up),asking the TSA to screen them carefully and providing his cell phone number if the TSA had any questions.

He got a call on his cell phone from the TSA saying that they had screened his Mother's ashes, that they had placed them back in his checked bag and how sorry they were for his loss (which while not necessary, was nice). In deed when he got the hotel in the BVI, he opened his checked bag and there was a note from the TSA saying that they had screened the bag and his Mother's ashes were indeed in tact and not (at least visually) disturbed in any way.

So, I am absolutely sure my buddy got lucky and that most times the TSA is absolutely careless with many things, not just ashes, but they can do the right thing every once in a while.
Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Or once, if it's a 24-hour clock.

Or just completely blank, if it's digital.

TSA is definitely full of stopped clocks.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It didn't take long for Propaganda Village to come to the defense of the Clerkforce.
Not only to post the defense but also to post comments. Most PV threads wait days for comments to be posted. I've always said it's amazing what TSA can do if it wants to.

ETA: Interesting to note that WaPo (and other media) reported on Monday afternoon that Francis has not responded to their request for further information on airport, flight, etc., yet by Tuesday they have reviewed the CCTV coverage and made a determination that nothing untoward happened.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jul 11, 2018 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Not only to post the defense but also to post comments. Most PV threads wait days for comments to be posted. I've always said it's amazing what TSA can do if it wants to.

ETA: Interesting to note that WaPo (and other media) reported on Monday afternoon that Francis has not responded to their request for further information on airport, flight, etc., yet by Tuesday they have reviewed the CCTV coverage and made a determination that nothing untoward happened.
And TSA's claim is that the cremains container was already open when the bag was opened for inspection. TSA goes on to say that the cremains container was wrapped in foil which caused the anomaly. So if the container was wrapped in foil how could they tell it was not fully sealed when the bag was first opened and how did the remains get scatter around the bag?

Lame, unsubstantiated excuses by TSA in my opinion. TSA has the video so post a short clip of the bag being opened and showing that the cremains container was truly open. Block out faces or other sensitive items if needed but not the timeline data. Surely TSA has the ability to do so. Otherwise I have a very hard time believing the accounting as presented by TSA on the TSA Blog.
petaluma1 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And TSA's claim is that the cremains container was already open when the bag was opened for inspection. TSA goes on to say that the cremains container was wrapped in foil which caused the anomaly. So if the container was wrapped in foil how could they tell it was not fully sealed when the bag was first opened and how did the remains get scatter around the bag?

Lame, unsubstantiated excuses by TSA in my opinion. TSA has the video so post a short clip of the bag being opened and showing that the cremains container was truly open. Block out faces or other sensitive items if needed but not the timeline data. Surely TSA has the ability to do so. Otherwise I have a very hard time believing the accounting as presented by TSA on the TSA Blog.
Also interesting to note that TSA did not mention that there were remains scattered through the bag when they opened it, which would have been the case if the container was, in fact, already opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.