Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They Did It Again -- TSA desecrated His Mom's Ashes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I kinda think you're both right. I actually believe <redacted> when he says that TSA's official published policy is that cremains are not to be opened.
I didn't dispute <redacted>'s claim that the TSA website says the official policy is that cremains are not to be opened. Of course it does. The existence of text on a website does not make something true in fact. For years the website said a Nexus card was a valid ID, while TSA clerks across the country refused to accept Nexus cards.

Let me put it more simply. I don't trust the TSA website to tell me what I would actually experience at a TSA checkpoint.
There are two axioms that one must keep in mind when discussing anything done by rank-and-file TSOs around the country:

1) Never attribute to malice that which can be as easily attributed to stupidity

2) All things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually correct
I think the simplest explanation is this: most TSOs don't treat other people's property as they would expect someone to treat theirs. Perhaps it's the experience at looking at thousands of suitcases and handbags and laptop bags every day until you stop understanding that to someone, every single handbag, every single suitcase is valuable and important.

I'm frequently told at checkpoints not to worry about keeping sight of my bags "because we've got cameras" they say, as the wave at the ceiling. Yet the security people don't leave THEIR handbags, wallets, cell phones or laptops sitting there on the checkpoint table, protected from theft by those magical cameras.
Cremation isn't exactly rare, but the vast majority of people in the US opt for burial, making it wholely possible for a person to go through life without encountering a single container of cremains, and not instantly recognizing one when they encounter it on the job.
And the fact that it's reasonably rare - and that travelling with cremains is rarer still, yet we hear multiple events of TSA mishaps with cremains, suggests this is not a minor anomaly as TSA would like to claim. If (say) only 1 in 10,000 passengers travels with cremains, and 1 in 10 of those have problems with TSA, TSA will claim it's only 1 in 100,000 passengers affected, rather than admitting that people with cremains have 1 in 10 chance of problems.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Many of your points I can not argue. I agree that there is more information that (admittedly from a front line point of view) we could publish without there being damaging consequences - but I do not have all the information that the policy wonks in DC have, so my opinion may change based upon new information.
You are still missing the point. You can put "more information" and "more information" and "more information" on the website/twitter/blog/whatever, but as long as it's untrustworthy, it doesn't matter how much information you post. First - and this is much harder than a few more pages of web text - you need to rebuild trust that what is on the website is what actually will happen at the checkpoint. As long as it's only "it's what's supposed to happen" or "it's what should have happened" or "unless the screener decides otherwise" or "I wouldn't have done it that way myself", no amount of additional information is going to fix things.
I am giving folks the published information on cremains, so they can be aware - and use the organizations published information in any claim of incorrect screening.
Aware of what - of what should have happened but didn't? Not helpful. Of what <redacted> would have done (but the TSA clerk at some airport didn't)? Not helpful.

Use the information in any claim of incorrect screening? Your colleagues do not, for the most part, deal well with passengers who argue with them about "correct screening", especially since TSA arms them with the all-purpose "screener's discretion" card.

And when
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
(2012)
The jar, he says, was tightly sealed and marked “Human Remains.” But when he got to the screening checkpoint, a TSA agent decided that she had to open the jar and inspect the remains, a clear violation of procedure. ...“They opened up my bag, and I told them, ‘Please, be careful. These are my grandpa’s ashes ... She picked up the jar. She opened it up. ... She used her finger and was sifting through it. ...And then she accidentally spilled it.”

“She didn’t apologize,” he explained. “She started laughing. ..."
or
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
(2014)
But when he arrived and unzipped his bag, he discovered a TSA inspection notice and his mother's ashes spilled all over his suitcase.
or
Originally Posted by petaluma1
(2017)
...came home to find that my luggage had been tossed & several things missing, including my mother's ashes.
... having a website printout is really not much of a consolation.
This situation with cremains (see, trying desperately to bring it back on topic, mods ) is just another example. TSA folks say "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy". And when passengers say "well, why does it happen?", TSA folks respond by saying "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy". And when passengers say "what are you going to do about it?", TSA folks respond by saying "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy".
This.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 11, 2017 at 12:18 pm Reason: Privacy
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Perhaps a simple solution to checked baggage rape would be for the TSA notice to require a legible signature and time stamp. That way, if TSA truly were interested in making sure that their screeners return luggage the way they found it, CCTV coverage of the baggage screening could be reviewed down to the specific screener.

Seems to be a simple solution. However.....
However...the screener will still have the 'final say' as to whether or not he leaves a 'Gotcha' note.

Just like the screeners have the final say on whether to put the cap back on a bottle of shampoo that has been opened because? Are they strip-testing the contents? Oh, right, that's SSI. No, they aren't testing the content, they remove closed LGA containers from sealed baggies, remove the caps, and toss the bottle/jar back into the luggage. It happens repeatedly.

'Academy' training? Stupid? Unsupervised? Malicious?

Nope, just 'final say'.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by chollie
However...the screener will still have the 'final say' as to whether or not he leaves a 'Gotcha' note.

Just like the screeners have the final say on whether to put the cap back on a bottle of shampoo that has been opened because? Are they strip-testing the contents? Oh, right, that's SSI. No, they aren't testing the content, they remove closed LGA containers from sealed baggies, remove the caps, and toss the bottle/jar back into the luggage. It happens repeatedly.

'Academy' training? Stupid? Unsupervised? Malicious?

Nope, just 'final say'.
Returning items to luggage not properly sealed has nothing to do with "final say" and everything to do with maliciousness.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: TSA
Except that you and I both know that it can be different. We were both around during the early days of the TSA Blog, when official representatives of TSA (including yourself and Bob) would directly respond to user comments to posts within the posts themselves, leading to more comments, leading to more responses, and so on. The responses were direct, responsive, and remarkably free of administratively-approved boilerplate.

And then a change in leadership happened, and suddenly the blog became nothing more than a place for extended press releases from TSA, and ranting responses from travelers in the comments.

This situation with cremains (see, trying desperately to bring it back on topic, mods ) is just another example. TSA folks say "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy". And when passengers say "well, why does it happen?", TSA folks respond by saying "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy". And when passengers say "what are you going to do about it?", TSA folks respond by saying "treating cremains with disrespect is against our policy".

An honest dialog about the issue (or any issue) can't happen if TSA's representatives aren't allowed to say anything that hasn't been approved by The Powers That Be. What we have now is a mutual exchange of canned responses --- about as effective as putting Siri, Alexa, and Google Home into the same room ...

Infinite Looping Siri, Alexa and Google Home - YouTube
I agree with you that the Blog used to be much more interactive, I believe you may have put your finger on where the differences began. I try and interact somewhat consistently - but I am limited in my time allotted for doing that, I have other job responsibilities that I have to keep up with. The difference is in the way the current leadership sees social media tools, and I am uncertain if a change is in the immediate future.

I understand the frustration with what seems to be a logic loop, but those decisions are way above my pay grade. I keep emphasizing that I am not saying that things are not happening, but that I am not going to take unverified reports as gospel. If no formal complaints are made, then it places TSA at a disadvantage to address issues like cremains. Anyone can go on social media and say "XXXXX happened, and it has ruined my life" - no tangible information, just a statement. This happens all the time, and I am uncertain that the organization would be well-served by using tons of resources to track down every single claim and try to instigate an investigation on it. Even with trends in statements, it is difficult to determine whether folks actually had the experience, or if they are simply piling on (which does happen contrary to the opinion of some folks).

I would love to return to the old school blog days, where we took questions we could answer and gave direct answers in many cases, and then explained when something was SSI and we couldn't. I prefer the direct dialog, to the current methodology we are using - but again, I am not always privy to the information they use in making those types of decisions. I also prefer jumping on an issue right now, communicating consistently throughout, and then giving some form of resolution - even if the resolution is not what the passenger/complainant asked for. When we (used to) do that type of consistent interaction, it begins to build and maintain a basic relationship with the public, and it keeps building as long as you do the same thing consistently. When we have that, and one of us comes on here and comments about how:

"1. Cremains are to never be opened, and that we have screening methods designed specifically for Cremains.

2. Brass, Crystal and other heavy materials used in display or permanent Urns can be extremely dense, and difficult to clear on an X-ray.

3. We understand that this is one of the most difficult times in your life, however, we suggest that if you are transporting cremains, please consider bringing them in a temporary container like wood or plastic."

The public are used to hearing information/advisements/communications directly from us. As things have been since the change in direction, we do not currently have the same type of relationship that we had back in the beginning and earlier days.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Isn't that only an issue for audio recordings? Isn't video without audio safe everywhere?

The problem is the camera wouldn't be likely to record what you need to see.
It depends, sometimes when dealing with private property rights, things can get a bit murky (see some of the cases against paparazzi). General rule of thumb is yes, but there are still some pretty archaic rules on the books throughout the country.

The positioning would be a challenge. Perhaps in a corner, just below the zipperline with a fisheye style lens at a 90 degree angle would work - but it would also up the cost a bit.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you that the Blog used to be much more interactive, I believe you may have put your finger on where the differences began. I try and interact somewhat consistently - but I am limited in my time allotted for doing that, I have other job responsibilities that I have to keep up with. The difference is in the way the current leadership sees social media tools, and I am uncertain if a change is in the immediate future.

I understand the frustration with what seems to be a logic loop, but those decisions are way above my pay grade. I keep emphasizing that I am not saying that things are not happening, but that I am not going to take unverified reports as gospel. If no formal complaints are made, then it places TSA at a disadvantage to address issues like cremains. Anyone can go on social media and say "XXXXX happened, and it has ruined my life" - no tangible information, just a statement. This happens all the time, and I am uncertain that the organization would be well-served by using tons of resources to track down every single claim and try to instigate an investigation on it. Even with trends in statements, it is difficult to determine whether folks actually had the experience, or if they are simply piling on (which does happen contrary to the opinion of some folks).

I would love to return to the old school blog days, where we took questions we could answer and gave direct answers in many cases, and then explained when something was SSI and we couldn't. I prefer the direct dialog, to the current methodology we are using - but again, I am not always privy to the information they use in making those types of decisions. I also prefer jumping on an issue right now, communicating consistently throughout, and then giving some form of resolution - even if the resolution is not what the passenger/complainant asked for. When we (used to) do that type of consistent interaction, it begins to build and maintain a basic relationship with the public, and it keeps building as long as you do the same thing consistently. When we have that, and one of us comes on here and comments about how:

"1. Cremains are to never be opened, and that we have screening methods designed specifically for Cremains.

2. Brass, Crystal and other heavy materials used in display or permanent Urns can be extremely dense, and difficult to clear on an X-ray.

3. We understand that this is one of the most difficult times in your life, however, we suggest that if you are transporting cremains, please consider bringing them in a temporary container like wood or plastic."

The public are used to hearing information/advisements/communications directly from us. As things have been since the change in direction, we do not currently have the same type of relationship that we had back in the beginning and earlier days.

It depends, sometimes when dealing with private property rights, things can get a bit murky (see some of the cases against paparazzi). General rule of thumb is yes, but there are still some pretty archaic rules on the books throughout the country.

The positioning would be a challenge. Perhaps in a corner, just below the zipperline with a fisheye style lens at a 90 degree angle would work - but it would also up the cost a bit.

Anyone can go on social media and say "XXXXX happened, and it has ruined my life" - no tangible information, just a statement. This happens all the time, and I am uncertain that the organization would be well-served by using tons of resources to track down every single claim and try to instigate an investigation on it. Even with trends in statements, it is difficult to determine whether folks actually had the experience, or if they are simply piling on (which does happen contrary to the opinion of some folks).
If a person using social media posts a comment on @ASKTSA, for example, and says X bad thing happened to me then that is a complaint. All to often the response from @ASKTSA is "we expect out officers to treat people with respect" or other typical boilerplate response. TSA has a complaint, they have a contact point, and if no follow up is conducted by TSA that is a failure on the part of TSA. Opportunity for TSA to take action is available but ignored.

This was from a discussion about recording what happens during a checked bag search. I think the video recording of these searches could be accomplished by using body cams on those screeners that are opening bags for searches. Interfering with the cam, or stored video, should result termination. A new cost yes but a cam could be shared by people on difference shifts.

I agree with you that the Blog used to be much more interactive, I believe you may have put your finger on where the differences began.
Why did this change on the TSA Blog and by who's direction? Was it a written order that blog team workers were not allowed to answer questions? If so who gave that order? Who said it was a bad thing to communicate with the public, the people who pay TSA employees?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why did this change on the TSA Blog and by who's direction? Was it a written order that blog team workers were not allowed to answer questions? If so who gave that order? Who said it was a bad thing to communicate with the public, the people who pay TSA employees?
FYI: I went back and started looking at old blog posts, and it appears (at least to me) that this change of emphasis (and tone) happened right around President Obama's second inauguration in January 2013. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering that John Pistole was TSA Administrator from 2010-2014. But perhaps there was another change to which this could be attributed.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI: I went back and started looking at old blog posts, and it appears (at least to me) that this change of emphasis (and tone) happened right around President Obama's second inauguration in January 2013. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering that John Pistole was TSA Administrator from 2010-2014. But perhaps there was another change to which this could be attributed.
I doubt that the head of TSA would be involved in that level of management.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Privacy

FlyerTalk Rule 21:
Privacy

Respect the privacy of other members and non-members. Do not post private information of others. Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors).

Do not post restricted contact information, such as elite access telephone numbers, or e-mail addresses, which is not otherwise made publicly available by the travel company or program. FlyerTalk has adopted a Privacy Policy for how it uses Individual Information. This Privacy Policy is made a part of this rule. Nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with FlyerTalk's Privacy Policy.
I've just had to edit about a half dozen posts where a FlyerTalk member was addressed or identified by a name that he or she does not use on FlyerTalk.

The moderation team takes privacy issues seriously. Do not post private information of others and do not refer to any other poster by any name other than the one that he or she uses on FlyerTalk as their handle or in their signature.

Please consider this to be your only warning.

The next member who posts any private information of another member will lose their posting privileges for a minimum of one week!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that was my thought. Offset and with a fisheye would be about the best that could be done but that means low detail and still doesn't show what's happening in the bag.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would love to see our social media group move more into an engage and communicate type of department, but that would be a big time shift for any governmental group. I can always hope, but I am a front line Joe, not a PR guru guy, so what do I know?
As an agency, you have no credibility and have demonstrated a complete lack of integrity. Just kill the social media sites. They only accomplish two purposes:

1. Make the TSA feel good; and,
2. Is the "Charlie Brown and the football syndrome" for many of us because we keep going back to get even more angry.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I think the video recording of these searches could be accomplished by using body cams on those screeners that are opening bags for searches. Interfering with the cam, or stored video, should result termination. A new cost yes but a cam could be shared by people on difference shifts.
You could probably get away with this. Combined with the cop-like blue uniform and the tin badge, this would make them feel even more like real cops.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 12, 2017 at 9:57 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
As an agency, you have no credibility and have demonstrated a complete lack of integrity. Just kill the social media sites. They only accomplish two purposes:

1. Make the TSA feel good; and,
2. Is the "Charlie Brown and the football syndrome" for many of us because we keep going back to get even more angry.
I would add:

3. Often makes TSA look abusive and/or ignorant.

Snarky, insulting, and incorrect blog answers byTSOs left unchallenged by Bob weren't just read by the targets of the bloggers - they were read by many innocent people going to the TSA blog looking for actual valid information. The view non-FTers and infrequent flyers get of TSA from the Blog, FB and Twitter is hardly reassuring.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Here's yet another incident of TSA being responsible for a mess:

This is what @TSA puts in your luggage, right after they rip open the honey jar that will spread goo around inside your suitcase.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Hi folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the subject of this thread is flying with human ashes or cremains.

We have plenty of other active threads discussing the TSA Blog, enhanced pat-downs and traveling with medical liquids.

Please keep your posts at least tangentially related to traveling with cremation ashes.

Thank you,

TWA884
I'll add that we also have threads discussing baggage inspection.

This thread is about traveling with cremation ashes.

Future off topic posts will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to losing their posting privileges for a minimum of one week. Please consider this to be your only warning.

TWA884

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 12, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: TSA
Here's yet another incident of TSA being responsible for a mess:

https://twitter.com/EddieNM/status/885147383633293312
Again, this is based upon assumption, not facts. The individual may be completely right, however, they may be completely wrong. We do not know what happened other than there is a note in the bag from TSA, and the item was open.

Like the incidents where cremains are open inside the bag, or have a hole in the plastic, or have had an urn opened and the ashes scattered - unless we have had an investigation, and have actually found the person that opened the item or damaged it, we have no idea how the cremains got out of the container, only that they did. To make the leap that TSA is responsible for all of these incidents without supporting factual information, is (at best) mistakenly guessing, and (at worst) is just lying to promote an agenda.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, this is based upon assumption, not facts. The individual may be completely right, however, they may be completely wrong. We do not know what happened other than there is a note in the bag from TSA, and the item was open.

Like the incidents where cremains are open inside the bag, or have a hole in the plastic, or have had an urn opened and the ashes scattered - unless we have had an investigation, and have actually found the person that opened the item or damaged it, we have no idea how the cremains got out of the container, only that they did. To make the leap that TSA is responsible for all of these incidents without supporting factual information, is (at best) mistakenly guessing, and (at worst) is just lying to promote an agenda.
We know in some cases that TSA did in fact open and search luggage and that these types of issues have been reported more than a few times.

Who else would be in a persons bag? If others can access baggage after TSA inspection then what good is the inspection in the first place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.