New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Old May 11, 2015, 5:22 am

At this time, I don't think a full passport would be useful. You'd have to get a new one even if the one you have is still valid for a long time.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

More secure from the US government? A pipe dream.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
More secure from the US government? A pipe dream.
I don't know why you say that. The US govt did a pretty good job
setting up the TSA, making air travel a million times more secure
for us. ^

May I interest you in a one-owner 1980 Oldsmobile in mint condition
with mostly highway miles?
Old May 19, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AppleApe
May I interest you in a one-owner 1980 Oldsmobile in mint condition
with mostly highway miles?
That depends, would you be willing to swap it even up for this great bridge I've got?
Old May 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
That depends, would you be willing to swap it even up for this great bridge I've got?
I'll drive that car and meet you on your bridge... then we can work out deal?

The bridge is not in Alaska, is it? (because my Olds is in Russia, but pretty
sure you can see it from your bridge in Alaska)

Back to the passport issue.... when I was at the Passport Agency recently,
the clerk told me the new more secure passports probably wouldn't start
showing up until the end of 2016 at the earliest.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
At this time, I don't think a full passport would be useful. You'd have to get a new one even if the one you have is still valid for a long time.
No, new passport designs are not required when released, instead they are rolled out as passports are replaced. The US passport is over-due for a redesign anyway.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AllieKat
The US passport is over-due for a redesign anyway.
Overdue for re-design? Re-designs cost money and increase costs for users in the main.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wow, check out the new Canadian design. I want ours to look 10x cooler... How about a see through passport... :P
Old May 21, 2015, 1:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Wow, check out the new Canadian design. I want ours to look 10x cooler... How about a see through passport... :P
The Canadian and Norwegian passports seem to get lots of "wows" for the latest re-designs, but at what price?

Canada seems to change passport rules like some people change shoes. This month again another change series, as they put in new rules when applying for passports and changed how passport signatures are handled.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Overdue for re-design? Re-designs cost money and increase costs for users in the main.
The ICAO has guidance for how often passports should be re-designed to make counterfeiting them a moving target. I cannot find this quickly, but off memory it is something like 7-8 years.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
New passport idea: Digital passport with black background and red writing. UV images, and when you open it it starts to sing the national anthem. Don't forget to charge it before you hit immigration! Stamps are all digital as well and you passport has an unlimited amount of pages. Coming soon for only $499.99! Buy one get one free!
Old May 21, 2015, 2:45 am

No, new passport designs are not required when released, instead they are rolled out as passports are replaced. The US passport is over-due for a redesign anyway.
Nah, I was replying to an earlier post where the poster asked whether he/she could continue to use a passport that was full because it was still valid. I said that it doesn't matter that it's valid, because passports that are full are routinely rejected, and the holder denied entry. The risk is not worth it, even if European countries sometimes don't stamp US passports.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:57 am

Nah, I was replying to an earlier post where the poster asked whether he/she could continue to use a passport that was full because it was still valid. I said that it doesn't matter that it's valid, because passports that are full are routinely rejected, and the holder denied entry. The risk is not worth it, even if European countries sometimes don't stamp US passports.
OOOH, yeah, no. Good way to get rejected. And I've never heard of not having a US passport stamped in Europe.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The ICAO has guidance for how often passports should be re-designed to make counterfeiting them a moving target. I cannot find this quickly, but off memory it is something like 7-8 years.
That's more like US "guidance" than anything.

ICAO is not much more than the U.S. government wants it to be when it comes to ICAO standardization for passports. The U.S. is very effective in using the U.S. VWP as a carrot and stick to get a lot of ducks lined up because of it when it comes to these things.

Counterfeit U.S. passports are a joke of an excuse for passport redesign as far as I'm concerned, as the substantive issue with US passport misuse comes from fraudulent real passport acquisition and fraudulent use of genuine, validly issued passports.

There are technology-enabled markets where real US passports are readily available and sourced for illicit use. Passport redesigns won't stop that illicit trade and use -- it has not even slowed it down in the least -- but the redesigns will cost us legitimate taxpayers and users (of US passports) more money.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Of the countries that allow US citizens in the main to enter without a visa acquired prior to travel, which ones routinely reject US passports with no blank pages?

A very tiny percentage of US passports have had more than 30% of the visa pages ever used at all; and the percentage of US passports that have had even 50% of the passport pages stamped by foreign authorities is even smaller than that. The set of US persons "routinely rejected" on arrival for full passports to countries without a general visa requirement for US citizen visitors is probably so tiny as to be not very useful for drawing a broad conclusion about full US passports.

Very negligible fraction of a percent of US passport holders has ever had a US passport that had every visa page stamped prior to arrival to another country. I am part of that negligible fraction, and I've had zero rejections on arrival even as I've had some comments from passport control types about not having any blank space to stamp. That is what over stamping is for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.