New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Old May 24, 2020, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Your title said "GOP ready for next gen us passport production" -- it's GPO, not GOP. Government Publishing Office (fka Government Printing Office), as opposed to GOP (Grand Old Party, aka Republican Party).
Xyzzy and Sam Madison like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Your title said "GOP ready for next gen us passport production" -- it's GPO, not GOP. Government Publishing Office (fka Government Printing Office), as opposed to GOP (Grand Old Party, aka Republican Party).
Fixed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:49 am

Does that imply anything new? They won't be available for a while anyway, right?

The consulate here is not accepting routine applications either way, so we will see when a renewal is in the books.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Does that imply anything new? They won't be available for a while anyway, right?

The consulate here is not accepting routine applications either way, so we will see when a renewal is in the books.
Passports issued last week in the US are from the same passport blank stock as that used last year too.

That report does publicly indicate that State has not yet ordered (from GPO) the next generation passport blanks for common use.

I expect to see passport costs to be hiked up as a result of the next generation passport, whether at the same time as the change or some time after that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 17, 2020 at 2:22 am
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:45 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/govtrib...mma17d0163/amp

So this contract is now fully obligated. All orders should be complete by about September of next year. Looks like they may have pushed everything out by a year because of Covid (may have had an intro of the next gen passport this year). Assuming no more extensions, I would guess the next gen passport is unveiled next year and in full circulation in 2022. But with the way this program is going, who can say when it will ever actually happen.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:43 pm

https://www.oversight.gov/sites/defa...o.%2020-06.pdf

This may have been posted already, but GPO seems to be ready to go. Just waiting on Dept. of State to be ready and place an order. Have to imagine this will be in issue in the next two years.

Last edited by Valerian; Oct 18, 2020 at 9:44 pm
Old Nov 3, 2020, 3:10 am

Well, renewing my and my daughter's passports in two weeks. Better get it over with. I just wish I could get a thin one, especially since we're unlikely to travel... at all... and need basically zero passport pages, but people applying abroad are given the fat ones by default now it seems.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: EY
Well, renewing my and my daughter's passports in two weeks. Better get it over with. I just wish I could get a thin one, especially since we're unlikely to travel... at all... and need basically zero passport pages, but people applying abroad are given the fat ones by default now it seems.
Just curious, did you wind up getting the new secure passport?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 5:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xobile
As of April 2020, the plan was to issue next generation Official and Diplomatic passports in 1Q 21

https://www.gpo.gov/docs/default-sou...nce-report.pdf
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Hah, nope. I got a fat 52 page monstrosity.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hah, nope. I got a fat 52 page monstrosity.
That's pretty much standard issue for passport applications submitted outside of the US.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That's pretty much standard issue for passport applications submitted outside of the US.
Yeah I know and I hate it. We don't need so many pages and we have 6 passports to carry so the thinner the better. But alas there are no exceptions. Kinda dumb. Keep the large book as standard abroad but if an applicant requests a small one, it should be an option.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:58 pm

Government efficiency at its best!

6 years later and we are still in the same situation as post #1.
CX HK likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:44 am

I will be shock if they introduce the new passport this year.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXoriginal
Government efficiency at its best!
Efficiency at its best when it comes to this kind of thing. I am expecting the "more secure" US passports to driver forward higher passport prices somewhat sooner than would be the case if we were to stick to what is already common.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.