Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, "More Secure" US NextGen Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It's late but eventually US will have to issue passport with more up to date security features.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Doubtful. The new $100 bill was over three years late from its intended introduction due to issues making it reliably, this is probably the same.
Yes.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
A temporary travel document is basically just a letter saying "please let this person travel" in appropriate diplomat speak. It's only really intended to act in place of a passport long enough to get a passport manufactured. Not to be confused with alien passports and other similar travel authorisations issued to non-citizens - but that would be off topic.
Sometimes. It can also be a non biometric temporary passport book, and even biometric sometimes.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:43 am

I have found the following information provided to the Congress by the director of GPO back in March. It says the following:

Following five years of development and testing in collaboration with the Department of State, we are now poised to begin production of the next generation U.S. passport. GPO’s contribution to this process has been to implement the technical processes that will be required to produce the new passport, an effort involving the investment of nearly $100 million in research and development, equipment acquisition, and facilities modifications. The new passport will feature significantly enhanced document security for American travelers abroad.
Continued installation of equipment and systems to begin production of the next generation U.S. passport later this year
Sounds like they are done developing and testing the next generation passport and installing equipment to print them. But given they are a government agency, their dates may not be reliable.

This is the end of the year, I am surprised that they haven't published how the new design looks if it was done five years ago.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Member

Thanks for the link. The report was dated early February so we are in the “later this year” mentioned. Hopefully there are no additional delays.

I renewed for a emergency limited validity passport last week and hoping to replace with regular passport without charge if they get this up and running by next November.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Thanks for the link. The report was dated early February so we are in the “later this year” mentioned. Hopefully there are no additional delays.

I renewed for a emergency limited validity passport last week and hoping to replace with regular passport without charge if they get this up and running by next November.
How did you get that? I am waiting for the new passport to renew mine.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by clearblue
How did you get that? I am waiting for the new passport to renew mine.
AFAIK You need to be outside the US to get a limited validity emergency passport for the regular renew fee which allows for replacement for a regular passport within one year of issuance without additional fee.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:02 am

I don't think they'd release designs unnecessarily early because then counterfeiters could get a head start.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA
Ok, just got first US passport last week, but looks comparable to older US passports, so i guess they are still not printing new security feature passports ? What would be the easiest way to figure it out ? (without microscope... ? ;-)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by te36
Ok, just got first US passport last week, but looks comparable to older US passports, so i guess they are still not printing new security feature passports ? What would be the easiest way to figure it out ? (without microscope... ? ;-)
From the article linked in the OP:
The 2016 model passport will contain a polycarbonate page in which your info chip is embedded and thus better protected, something many countries are doing, Sprague said. The coating helps if your book gets wet or you sit on it and bend it, she added.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by te36
There have been no indication next generation passport have been released yet.

If you had the new one, you would know immediately as the data page would be plastic instead paper.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:31 am

The new one will be significantly different, with the polycarbonate page being one of the biggest tactile differences. It'd essentially be like a large passport-sized ID-card as the first page. The design would also have to be significantly different, I would think.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:05 pm

Thanks. I know the polycarbonate from german passport, but those have the RFID chip in the cover AFAIK, not in the polycarbonated data page. Which may arguably be protecting it better because the cover on the DE passports is quite thick. Maybe there is a security benefit of having it in the data page. Ideally, the cover page could then have some RFID protection, that would make it more comfortable: With the german passport you want to put it into an RFID pouch and when an officer needs to scan it, you need to remove it from that pouch. If there was RFID protection in the cover and RFID chip in the data page, you wouldn't need an RFID pouch.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:59 am

Well, the new German passport issued starting March of this year has an actual polycarbonate page, and is now finally smaller with a sort of soft cover, like the current US passport's cover probably. The versions before had a laminated photo page.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Well, the new German passport issued starting March of this year has an actual polycarbonate page, and is now finally smaller with a sort of soft cover, like the current US passport's cover probably. The versions before had a laminated photo page.
Argh.. ok. So i didn't know what polycarbonate meant and confused it with the laminated photo page. Thanks. So its just the same material as a credit card (or the german ID card). Maybe a tad better quality than cheap credit card ? ;-). RFID chip integrated. Docs i could find didn't say anything about RFID shield in cover so i guess that feature is not included, but the need for that may depend a bit on the security scheme used to allow read access to the RFID chip data.

With the polycarbonate i am getting worried if it would still be possible to get a passport within 24 hours like i just got my US passport because of immediately required travel. But the (polycarbonate) US passport card i ordered also takes longer because it can not be printed at a US passport agency but would be sent from some central federal printing service - 1..2 weeks i think they said at the passport agency. So if they would have to always print new US passports at the same location as the passport cards, fast passports will be a thing of the past.

In Germany, express passport was 4 days. Not sure if this gets even worse with the new passport. All centrally printed (Bundesdruckerei). But fast shipping in germany (small) within <=24 hours is not a big issue/cost.

So, I bet we're again trading customer benefits (fast passport) with security ?theater? benefits. Not really sure how much theater or real necessity the new security features are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.