Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FDA Warns Travelers To Tell TSA About Any Prescription Drugs They Have

Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Article is here.

Taken from this video report.

Travelers are advised to notify TSA officers of any prescriptions they possess and produce said medications before the screening begins.
Well, this should be interesting.

My comment: As for me, it ain't gonna happen.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum (Sigh), all others as well......
Does the TSA trump HIPPA?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Status Free
Links don't work

And TSA isn't a covered entity as defined in HIPAA and is not bound by HIPAA.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ediemac1
And TSA isn't a covered entity as defined in HIPAA and is not bound by HIPAA.
Works for me.

Try this:

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=13318
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:36 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Sorry, I'm not going to play this game either. My medication is none of TSA's business.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:45 pm

Why would the TSA need to know? Unless it is a liquid over 3.4 oz, I'm not notifying them about anything. That seems like a good way to get drugs like painkillers stolen.

I am amazed that I have not had any trouble carrying insulin since the liquid stupidity started. I always leave the bottles in my carryon. The bottle are only 10 ml so they probably aren't even noticeable on the x-ray. I figure one day I will run into a screener who will give me a hard time about not declaring it. I'm going to guess that will be at ORD since they give me the most hassle about opting out of the scanners due to an insulin pump.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jma99
Fyi, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
What a mess! Besides it being neither their mission nor any of their business TSA isn't prepared or trained nor should they be to do this kind of screening. There are literally thousands of very legitimate medications out there and the vast majority of those are not controlled or contain controlled substances. How in the world do they propose to give TSA agents even rudimentary pharmacology training? Insane! So they say "well, carry all your meds in their original containers" and I say that works until you get like my late father in law with his 17 daily meds. He'd come to visit us for a month and would have one carry-on devoted entirely to medications. Heaven forbid you get caught in line behind somebody like him. I'm ranting so I'll stop typing but this is ridiculous.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I tried googling for another source and couldn't find one. I can't view the video and so far all I can see is a report that seems to replicate what the TSA already says on their website about traveling with prescriptions in labeled bottles.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jma99
Please explain how HIPPA impacts TSA since it's not a "covered entity"
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Please explain how HIPPA impacts TSA since it's not a "covered entity"
It doesn't.
And I would ignore the DEA advise, keep carying my medicine that I need on my trip in a pill minder, and keep my mouth shut about it. If questioned by the TSA drug agents, ...well all I can say is I hope they have deep pockets because I will sue them for all they are worth, and then some!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
I tried googling for another source and couldn't find one. I can't view the video and so far all I can see is a report that seems to replicate what the TSA already says on their website about traveling with prescriptions in labeled bottles.
Try this for the video:

https://grabien.com/file.php?id=24105&searchorder=date

I checked it before submitting and it worked for me.

There is the longer YouTube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTueSby5g78

The TSA part is the last minute of the video. The first three minutes is good info for international travel. But, that is CBP and not TSA.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Status Free
Not FDA

Not sure who the fact checkers are for this site. The video is not on the FDA's web site and there is no Lindsay Davison in the employee directory.

Looks like some gov agency, but I don't think it's FDA.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Not sure who the fact checkers are for this site. The video is not on the FDA's web site and there is no Lindsay Davison in the employee directory.

Looks like some gov agency, but I don't think it's FDA.
Look harder. She got married and changed her last name.

http://directory.psc.gov/hhsdir/eeKey.asp?Key=44545
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Off topic: Why do all the FDA employees in the video have military uniforms?

They also say that 'Passengers are allowed to bring medication in tablet or other solid form through security screening checkpoints, as long as they are screened.' No mention of liquids.

It sounds to me like the FDA gets a lot of queries for things they don't enforce, so they tried to make a generic brush off video that they knew had 'safe' answers instead of real ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.