Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FDA Warns Travelers To Tell TSA About Any Prescription Drugs They Have

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FDA Warns Travelers To Tell TSA About Any Prescription Drugs They Have

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by spd476
Why would the TSA need to know? Unless it is a liquid over 3.4 oz, I'm not notifying them about anything. That seems like a good way to get drugs like painkillers stolen.

I am amazed that I have not had any trouble carrying insulin since the liquid stupidity started. I always leave the bottles in my carryon. The bottle are only 10 ml so they probably aren't even noticeable on the x-ray. I figure one day I will run into a screener who will give me a hard time about not declaring it. I'm going to guess that will be at ORD since they give me the most hassle about opting out of the scanners due to an insulin pump.
Bolding mine: Exactly right ^. I travel with a prescription tube of medication which is 6.0 ounces and I follow what the TSA says to do and nothing else. I place the tube which is in its box with the prescription label on the box and wrapped in a clear baggie held on by two rubber bands in case of leaks on top of my items in the grey bin and that's it. And for the record, not one TSO has ever picked it up to examine let alone even look at it tho I have had some TSO's point to it and tell me "it doesn't belong there, it belongs in your carry-on bag"
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Sorry, I'm not going to play this game either. My medication is none of TSA's business.
Right! They have keep in private and do not ask those passengers about the medication. It's personal. Those passengers had it right to kept the privacy. TSA had respect that.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Off topic: Why do all the FDA employees in the video have military uniforms?

They also say that 'Passengers are allowed to bring medication in tablet or other solid form through security screening checkpoints, as long as they are screened.' No mention of liquids.

It sounds to me like the FDA gets a lot of queries for things they don't enforce, so they tried to make a generic brush off video that they knew had 'safe' answers instead of real ones.
Without looking at the video, US Public Health Service . . .
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Many of us here (myself included) approach this from the point-of-view of, first, privacy (regarding medical conditions/treatments) and, second, efficiency (getting through the checkpoint with minimal discussion). To us, the prospect of declaring all medications to TSA employees is appalling.

But I've got relatives - and I'll bet you do too - who love nothing more than telling anyone their entire medical history. Wait until you're stuck behind one of those at the checkpoint:

"What are those pills? I'm glad you asked. See, at first the doctor thought it was my gall bladder. I had an endoscopy and ultrasound and all these blood tests. That didn't find anything, so then he thought, no, maybe it's an ulcer. ... [10 minutes later] ... and sure enough it turned out it was angina after all! So that's what those pills are for. Now, this cream here, well, see I had this rash on my... you know, on my... well, I had this rash. [5 minutes]... and it's an allergy to regular soap. No, really, it is; I have to use a special prescription soap. That's it right there. Now, these pills here, the pink ones, see, about 6 months ago I was getting up in the middle of the night..."

Yeah, this is going to be great.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
"What are those pills? I'm glad you asked. See, at first the doctor thought it was my gall bladder. I had an endoscopy and ultrasound and all these blood tests. That didn't find anything, so then he thought, no, maybe it's an ulcer. ... [10 minutes later] ... and sure enough it turned out it was angina after all! So that's what those pills are for. Now, this cream here, well, see I had this rash on my... you know, on my... well, I had this rash. [5 minutes]... and it's an allergy to regular soap. No, really, it is; I have to use a special prescription soap. That's it right there. Now, these pills here, the pink ones, see, about 6 months ago I was getting up in the middle of the night..."
Do you need diapers for that? You have a bladder problem?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by N830MH
Do you need diapers for that? You have a bladder problem?
It's not me; I was making up a story about someone who likes to talk about their medical problems.

And (in my story) it was "gall bladder" which is a different body part from the regular "bladder" for which someone might need diapers.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not that it would ever come to this (proverbial famous last words) but I can imagine the TSA examining one of my prescription bottles labelled with my name , etc. and discovering .... Q-tips inside. Oh the hilarity that would ensue
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by MikeFly
Not that it would ever come to this (proverbial famous last words) but I can imagine the TSA examining one of my prescription bottles labelled with my name , etc. and discovering .... Q-tips inside. Oh the hilarity that would ensue
I suddenly had a flashback to 1993.

I was working part-time in a local grocery store as a bagger, cashier, lot boy. Even in 1993, it was illegal to smoke inside a grocery store in Maryland, and whenever I was working the lot, if I saw someone try to enter the store while smoking I'd point out that it was illegal. Most people were perfectly okay with it and extinguished their material in an ash can next to the entrance.

One day while on my break in the upstairs break room, where smoking was, regrettably, still permitted, a fellow employee who was a smoker asked me, "Are you telling people they can't smoke?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You can't do that."

"Why not?"

"You got no right to tell people they can't smoke."

"It's against the law to smoke in a grocery store in Maryland. Says so right on the front door of this store. All I'm doing is telling people that it's against the law."

"I don't believe you!"

"It's printed right on the front door. Go down there and read it yourself."

I never heard from her again. But your hypothetical gave me a sudden image of a TSO opening your script bottle, seeing q-tips inside, and telling you, "You can't do that! You can't put anything in a prescription bottle except the prescription!"

"Really? 'Cause I just did. See, they fit perfectly."

And further arguments by the doctor-slash-lawyer masquerading as a minimum-wage luggage sniffer would ensue.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Health_Service

Agencies within the Public Health Service

Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
Indian Health Service (IHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

Officers of the Corps wear uniforms similar to those of the United States Navy with special PHSCC insignia, and the Corps uses the same commissioned officer ranks as the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the Commissioned Officer Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration from ensign to admiral, uniformed services pay grades O-1 through O-10 respectively.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPT Trips
Without looking at the video, US Public Health Service . . .
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Health_Service

Agencies within the Public Health Service

Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
Indian Health Service (IHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

Officers of the Corps wear uniforms similar to those of the United States Navy with special PHSCC insignia, and the Corps uses the same commissioned officer ranks as the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Coast Guard, and the Commissioned Officer Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration from ensign to admiral, uniformed services pay grades O-1 through O-10 respectively.
Thanks for posting this information. Just to add, the commander of the Uniformed Public Health Service is the Surgeon General. That's why the SG runs around looking like an admiral every so often. The NOAA Officer Corps is known for flying the P-3 hurricane hunters and operating the various NOAA scientific and survey ships.

Here's a pretty famous SG, and a darn good one:

Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manneca
I tried googling for another source and couldn't find one. I can't view the video and so far all I can see is a report that seems to replicate what the TSA already says on their website about traveling with prescriptions in labeled bottles.
Yep -- Mrs Spokesholess is simply quoting the drivel from the TSA web site. I would say she is reading comprehension-challenged; but, the TSA is writing-challenged as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Status Free
Originally Posted by javabytes
Look harder. She got married and changed her last name.

http://directory.psc.gov/hhsdir/eeKey.asp?Key=44545
Ahhh, should have searched on first name!

Thanks!

BTW, wonder if she and hubby role play as the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by manneca
I tried googling for another source and couldn't find one. I can't view the video and so far all I can see is a report that seems to replicate what the TSA already says on their website about traveling with prescriptions in labeled bottles.
I read your post as if the TSA requires meds to be in labeled containers. I apologize if I've misinterpreted you. The TSA's website states:

"TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles,..." Then it goes on to say that some states have requirements for carrying some prescription meds.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Fyi, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
(tangent ahead)

ok, I understand about TSA and HIPAA and how it's none of the TSA's business for domestic travel - but what about CBP and Global Entry? I know they keep pushing their zero tolerance for violations recommending declaring all medications. Seems to still be a conflict here as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:49 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds to me like the FDA gets a lot of queries for things they don't enforce, so they tried to make a generic brush off video that they knew had 'safe' answers instead of real ones.
That's what it looks like to me. Hopefully some mainstream media picks up on this and they are forced to clarify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.