Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2014 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread is the discussion thread for the 2014 How Effective is the TSA survey, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk. The survey focuses on the effectiveness of the Transportation Security Administration as a frequent traveler.

Please first take the survey here and then post your thoughts about your favorite peeves below.

Results will be announced in this thread in early October. Thanks for participating.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results.

It is that time of year again: ten simple poll questions to answer for only a few minutes of your time as to how you would rate the job performance of the Transportation Security Administration.

Although the Transportation Security Administration had implemented numerous changes in the past year in order to improve the airport screening process for passengers, many frequent fliers who pass through hundreds of airport security checkpoints throughout the United States on a regular basis seem to believe that even more improvements are needed; while others believe that nothing has improved — and still others believe that airport security has actually worsened.

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has once again collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on a series of polls and surveys pertaining to air travel, restaurants, hotels, technology, safety and security. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This survey — active through October 1, 2014 — is about How Effective is the TSA?

As with the polls and discussions in 2012 and 2013, the primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine; elaborate on your thoughts; and relate your experiences pertaining to the effectiveness of the Transportation Security Administration as a frequent traveler.

You will have the option to subscribe to Frequent Business Traveler Weekly and a chance to win a piece of valuable airline memorabilia.

Results of this survey will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — how effective is the Transportation Security Administration? Please complete the survey today and let everyone know your thoughts and experiences!

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:15 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:12 pm
YKF

Not effective at all
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It's a shame the lowest rating is only "poor".
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's a shame the lowest rating is only "poor".
The unemployable employed.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA million miler
On those now rare instances where Pre-check is not printed on my boarding pass, I actually become angry having to remove my shoes and belt and separating my belongings in those filthy bins. And the sight of people struggling with children and baby carriages would be hilarious if not tragically pathetic...and people walking about barefoot. It's ridiculous.

Then to witness the clerk examining the monitor as your bag passes through the machine. Does he/she know what they are looking at or for?

Though I recognize the need for some kind of security "theater".
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This poll won't have accurate depictions from Frequent Flyers who get PreCheck. My last TSA experience was just fine because I didn't have to spend more than 30 seconds interacting with then and said not a single world to any of them (and neither they to me besides, "NEXT".

Should be what my overall view is of the programs.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Though I gave them low scores, all they were about was effectiveness. I have no way to know IF they have stopped terrorism. Before September 11, it did not happen often or daily. This survey is stupid. My complaints are about the process does not justify the means. I should not be treated the way I am when I am innocent of what they are attempting to catch and should be treated as such. That has nothing to do with effectiveness.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by caljn
On those now rare instances where Pre-check is not printed on my boarding pass, I actually become angry having to remove my shoes and belt and separating my belongings in those filthy bins. And the sight of people struggling with children and baby carriages would be hilarious if not tragically pathetic...and people walking about barefoot. It's ridiculous.

Then to witness the clerk examining the monitor as your bag passes through the machine. Does he/she know what they are looking at or for?

Though I recognize the need for some kind of security "theater".
Have you ever tried anger management therapy?

Personally, it never bothers me at all. You say you are from LA. Yet compared to the number of hours people spend sitting on traffic on LA freeways, clearing TSA is a breeze. Just passed through LAX TSA yesterday and it took about 10 minutes. Wish driving to LAX could be so easy.

Clearing security in London was no better. I didn't have to take my shoes off, but they made me throw away my toothpaste and stick deodorant, which I never do in the US.

I will admit that the new body scanners are pretty sensitive. One time I passed through the scanner with about 40 cents change in my pocket and they caught it.

The biggest problem with the TSA is it treats everybody alike. People who are used to sycophant employees who treat them like gods find it really galling when the have to mix with the plebians and are treated like ordinary people.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA million miler
Originally Posted by eghansen

Personally, it never bothers me at all. You say you are from LA. Yet compared to the number of hours people spend sitting on traffic on LA freeways, clearing TSA is a breeze. Just passed through LAX TSA yesterday and it took about 10 minutes. Wish driving to LAX could be so easy.

Clearing security in London was no better. I didn't have to take my shoes off, but they made me throw away my toothpaste and stick deodorant, which I never do in the US.

I will admit that the new body scanners are pretty sensitive. One time I passed through the scanner with about 40 cents change in my pocket and they caught it.

The biggest problem with the TSA is it treats everybody alike. People who are used to sycophant employees who treat them like gods find it really galling when the have to mix with the plebians and are treated like ordinary people.

It is the ludicrousness of removing shoes and belts, and the bins, and the people in barefeet. And the agents who mill about talking about breaks and lunch.
You must be one of those "at least they're keeping us safe!" people. Anything at any cost.
Have you noticed people are waved through pre-check if the lines are too long?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

I'm glad someone is routinely enjoying a positive TSA experience. Have you ever gone through a checkpoint (no elite or Pre) access in a wheelchair? Have you ever been declared an 'opt out' because you are physically incapable of assuming and holding the position for a scan? It takes more than 10 minutes to summon a specialized groper and to swab and test every item in my carry-on bags.

Although I don't like traffic, I'd rather sit in traffic than have a stranger's hands down my pants and between my legs.

I don't move in privileged circles, so I don't expect Cadillac treatment. TSA is the only organization, however, that regularly takes a hostile attitude towards me because of my physical limitations.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
The biggest problem with the TSA is that it takes, against a nonexistent threat, measures that would be useless if the threat were real. Document checking does nothing, shoe carnival does nothing, War on Water does nothing, NOSs do nothing. If there were a real threat, the TSA would exacerbate the danger, because the laziness and slovenliness of the clerks slows down screening, causing a large, concentrated, vulnerable population at the checkpoint.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You seem to have bought into the TSA spin that it's all about getting through the checkpoint quickly and not about rubbing our noses in the Constitution. I'm asking this seriously: Would you allow a TSA clerk to stick a probe up your butt if he could do it in 10 minutes or less? Please elaborate beyond a yes/no answer.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
While I always hate and complain about the inefficiency of many government based organizations, TSA is not one of them. It is not because I think they are doing a great job, it is just that I don't think a much better job can be done. Everyone complains, but I have never seen someone propose a solution that a majority of people agree on.

Maybe it is because I am a physician that I can empathize with people in difficult position.

Assuming we are not going to outsource airport security (controversial in itself), if a government head (who is bound by political consideration) receives multiple reports of threats ( liquid bomb, shoe bomb, bombs in children, wheelchairs etc), he can ignore it and if an event happens, become demonized for not taking appropriate action. People always blame with 20/20 hindsight especially since there was a written warning. They can't do what they really want (no carry, no baggage, everyone gets a full pat down), but would piss everyone off. So they make these rule that are full of holes that have no logic (two 3 oz is ok, 6oz is not) to try to defeat these threat.

Are the employees of TSA the best,no... But all big organization have bad apples and TSA positions may not attract the best and the brightest. Could they be more efficient.... Yes but again that is the most difficult aspect of large bureaucracy.

Finally, the only grade you can judge them by is had a plane gone down since 9/11. There have been a few close calls but fortunately no.

I hear many proposals for better travel, but have never really found one without a fatal flaw ( racial profiling,individual passenger interview etc)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by convert
While I always hate and complain about the inefficiency of many government based organizations, TSA is not one of them. It is not because I think they are doing a great job, it is just that I don't think a much better job can be done. Everyone complains, but I have never seen someone propose a solution that a majority of people agree on.
Airport security in countries other than the US, UK and to some extent, Canada, is less intrusive, faster and far less controversial. Australia, for example, or Japan or Switzerland. 5 minutes is a LONG wait in the airport security lines. Airport security in those countries is not the continual butt of jokes, or the subject of media reports and outrages. Yet planes don't fall from the sky. One solution would be to examine why that is.

Maybe it is because I am a physician that I can empathize with people in difficult position.

Assuming we are not going to outsource airport security (controversial in itself), if a government head (who is bound by political consideration) receives multiple reports of threats ( liquid bomb, shoe bomb, bombs in children, wheelchairs etc), he can ignore it and if an event happens, become demonized for not taking appropriate action. People always blame with 20/20 hindsight especially since there was a written warning. They can't do what they really want (no carry, no baggage, everyone gets a full pat down), but would piss everyone off. So they make these rule that are full of holes that have no logic (two 3 oz is ok, 6oz is not) to try to defeat these threat.
I expect that, as a physician, you don't send an 18-year-old patient with no symptoms or family history for an annual colonoscopy to avoid being "demonized for not taking appropriate action." I expect that you don't order every blood test in the book for all your patients "just in case". TSA needs to take a risk assessment instead of taking a complete risk avoidance strategy that is expensive, intrusive, slow and unconstitutional.

Are the employees of TSA the best,no... But all big organization have bad apples and TSA positions may not attract the best and the brightest. Could they be more efficient.... Yes but again that is the most difficult aspect of large bureaucracy.

Finally, the only grade you can judge them by is had a plane gone down since 9/11. There have been a few close calls but fortunately no.
No. Correlation is not causality. The fact that no planes have gone down since 9/11 may well be due entirely to a magic rock that one of our TS/S regulars carries in his bag.

I hear many proposals for better travel, but have never really found one without a fatal flaw ( racial profiling,individual passenger interview etc)
Pre-9/11 screening: WTMD, x-ray baggage, random ETD. It doesn't matter who the passenger is (profiling) or what they say (interview) if they're not carrying any WEI.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: FB PLAT / TK GOLD
Definitely the lowest score possible.. , no... just a little bit under

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.