Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
How long before she slips out of whatever facility she's put in?

Serial Stowaway Ruled Unfit For Trial; Will Undergo Mental Treatment « CBS Chicago
If she isn't a threat to herself or others would they even keep her as in-patient for any extended period. I'm guessing she is Medicaid at best so how long will they pay to keep her in house?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If she isn't a threat to herself or others would they even keep her as in-patient for any extended period. I'm guessing she is Medicaid at best so how long will they pay to keep her in house?
Since a judge in essence committed her the state will have to pick up the bill. He turned her over to the Illinois Department of Human Services facility in Elgin. The state’s Elgin Mental Health Center is the primary treatment facility for individuals determined to be “not guilty by reason of insanity” or in this case “unfit to stand trial” in Illinois. They’ve not released the diagnosis but I suspect from her reported behavior she’s suffering from some antisocial issues. Not my area of practice but generally cases like her’s are difficult to treat.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Since a judge in essence committed her the state will have to pick up the bill. He turned her over to the Illinois Department of Human Services facility in Elgin. The state’s Elgin Mental Health Center is the primary treatment facility for individuals determined to be “not guilty by reason of insanity” or in this case “unfit to stand trial” in Illinois. They’ve not released the diagnosis but I suspect from her reported behavior she’s suffering from some antisocial issues. Not my area of practice but generally cases like her’s are difficult to treat.
I can't speak to her degree of impairment but she does seem capable of taking care of her basic needs and being thoughtful about her intended actions even when they go against cultural norms. She has not caused injury to others or herself, as far as I know, and that doesn't appear to be her intent. Above all else I find it amazing that she can navigate her way through different airports while avoiding all of the many layers of TSA's security and even the airlines security/gate procedures boarding flights to wherever her fancy takes her. There is certainly an element of cunning in her makeup.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:00 am

I can't speak to her degree of impairment but she does seem capable of taking care of her basic needs and being thoughtful about her intended actions even when they go against cultural norms. She has not caused injury to others or herself, as far as I know, and that doesn't appear to be her intent. Above all else I find it amazing that she can navigate her way through different airports while avoiding all of the many layers of TSA's security and even the airlines security/gate procedures boarding flights to wherever her fancy takes her. There is certainly an element of cunning in her makeup.
And therein lies the challenge and difficulty in treating her. Your first sentence is almost a textbook description of antisocial behavior. Patients with antisocial behavior can be extremely cunning or clever, they are not generally disabled like you might see in other mental illnesses. They know or have learned to say or do what while under treatment. Some survive and function in society without any trouble and are never treated. In her case, as I posted before, it would be great for her to consult with TSA and the airlines. She’s obviously found weaknesses she exploits time and time again.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And therein lies the challenge and difficulty in treating her. Your first sentence is almost a textbook description of antisocial behavior. Patients with antisocial behavior can be extremely cunning or clever, they are not generally disabled like you might see in other mental illnesses. They know or have learned to say or do what while under treatment. Some survive and function in society without any trouble and are never treated. In her case, as I posted before, it would be great for her to consult with TSA and the airlines. She’s obviously found weaknesses she exploits time and time again.
Would she likely be able to instruct others in her methods or do vulnerabilities she sees only make sense to a person such as herself? Does she perceive the environment she's in differently than someone else?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:47 am

Agree. There are basically three issues here. One, her potential mental state or issues that drive her to continually challenge the various parts of the air transportation system. Two, the ability to somehow circumvent TSA’s security checkpoint process. Three, the ability to somehow circumvent the airline’s gate boarding process.
So is she there for the remainder of her life - or until she escapes?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In California, when a defendant in a criminal case is found incompetent to stand trial, due to inability to understand what is going on in court or when they cannot rationally assist their attorney in the preparation and presentation of their defense, they are committed to a state mental hospital until their competency to stand trial is restored.

In the case of Jackson v. Indiana, 406 U.S. 715 (1972), the Supreme Court of United States held that defendants in these situations cannot be held longer than the reasonable period of time that is necessary to determine whether there is a substantial probability that they will regain their competency. If it appears that they will not, the State must either institute civil commitment proceedings, such as the appointment of a guardian or a conservator, or release them.

In California, the maximum period of confinement in a state hospital is three years or the longest term of imprisonment for the offense, whichever comes first.

I suspect that Illinois' law has similar provisions.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:24 pm

Would she likely be able to instruct others in her methods or do vulnerabilities she sees only make sense to a person such as herself? Does she perceive the environment she's in differently than someone else?
It’s possible she’s not totally aware of exactly how she processes what she sees. On the other hand I think she once went through a TSA checkpoint and made sure she kept her face away from the cameras so that shows awareness and planning on her part. She may not want to share her modus operandi as it is her own personal “game” and she doesn’t want it ruined. On the other hand she might be willing to “brag” to the right therapist. My limited experience with antisocials was years ago when I was interning at a state hospital and we had only the very worst criminal types like Ted Bundy or Charles Manson. Not pleasant people.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

I suspect TWA884 is spot on. It would go to the wording of the judge’s custody order and Illinois law. Since she’d already got through a fairly long psychological evaluation the custody order would something along the lines of “until such time as she is able to stand trial”. State law should lay out what “until such time” means in terms of length, etc. Typically there are checkpoints like court ordered reports, reviews, and so on built into the process so that she isn’t put away for the rest of her life. I do remember in one interview she got upset and even a little belligerent when it was suggested she was mentally ill. Sending her to a mental treatment facility might be the tipping point one way or the other for her.

I have no idea what Elgin is like so really can’t speak to her being able to escape. She’s pretty clever so I suppose anything is possible. The state hospital I interned at had a maximum security ward, actually more of a prison within the hospital, and really was designed for the “criminally insane”. I don’t see Hartman as particularly dangerous to herself or others so she wouldn’t or shouldn’t be subjected to that level of security nor do I know or think Elgin is that kind of facility.

UPDATE: Went through a directory of mental health treatment facilities and read up a bit on the Elgin Mental Health Center. While it’s not a jail or prison per se it does have secured wards and sections. One part of the facility is set aside to treat inmates from other prisons in the state so they have at least a medium security section. That doesn’t mean that Hartman is in that section but it isn’t a totally open campus type facility either so her simply walking away may be harder.

Last edited by Randyk47; Mar 31, 2018 at 7:40 am Reason: Update
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:12 pm

So Marilyn Hartman has been released from the mental health treatment facility and has been determined fit to now stand trial. The judge has moved her to a half-way house with an ankle monitor while the state determines when and if they’ll proceed with felony charges. She’s been in the half-way facility for a couple of weeks so far and hasn’t been picked up at an airport so far. Only time will tell. ?Serial stowaway? found mentally fit to stand trial, freed on ankle monitor to Chicago treatment facility - Chicago Tribune
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: RFC
it would be great for her to consult with TSA and the airlines. She’s obviously found weaknesses she exploits time and time again.
I honestly doubt she's found anything at all.

TSA is not in any way a structured entity as far as security goes, and that's the open secret that no one really addresses. "Security Theatre" is not a joke. It's an accurate descriptor. What TSA does is window dressing. I fully expect that her "exploits" are no more than simply walking where she wants and her only skill is knowing to wait and pick the times/pathways correctly. TSA can't address that because TSA has nothing to do with setting up or running an actual layered security screen.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
So Marilyn Hartman has been released from the mental health treatment facility and has been determined fit to now stand trial. The judge has moved her to a half-way house with an ankle monitor while the state determines when and if they’ll proceed with felony charges. She’s been in the half-way facility for a couple of weeks so far and hasn’t been picked up at an airport so far. Only time will tell. ?Serial stowaway? found mentally fit to stand trial, freed on ankle monitor to Chicago treatment facility - Chicago Tribune
Yes, as long if she behave well. She will stay away from any Chicago's airports. She's banned ORD, MDW, Greyhound and Amtrak, as well. If she done it again. She will be arrested again. She will get another trespassing charges.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
Only if the screeners who let her through receive the same punishment.
Correct! They could get real trouble for that. She cannot go through at security without ticket or passport.

Last edited by N830MH; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi all,

She's back on the news! She accepted apologize for her behaviors and she understand that she can't go to an airports without ticket. She has been sentenced 18 months on her probation.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/ar...m-85307-tbla-5
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Serial Stowaway Marilynn Hartman STRIKES AGAIN

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-flight.html

She's been at this for 10 years now. How does she evade security so easily???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.