Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

62-year-old woman sneaks onto aircraft without ticket

Old Jan 20, 18, 5:32 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,521
Good for her! I love it!
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 2:06 pm
  #167  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYS
Programs: NPR
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
DHS should hire her for Red Team testing. She clearly knows how to defeat all layers of TSA security.
I'd really like to know how she does it, because I have a hard enough time getting through when I'm supposed to be on the flight and have the correct documents.
Randyk47 and KDS777 like this.
kochleffel is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 2:14 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
DHS should hire her for Red Team testing. She clearly knows how to defeat all layers of TSA security.
Seriously.

It likely helps that she's older and probably doesn't look like she'd cause trouble.
Randomness is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 5:26 pm
  #169  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,773
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
Seriously.

It likely helps that she's older and probably doesn't look like she'd cause trouble.
Yes, she always got too much trouble. She was not supposed to be there. She was banned ORD, MDW, Greyhound bus, and Amtrak, as well. She won't change her behaviors. She was supposed to stay at mental health for 2 years on her probation.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:44 pm
  #170  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 19,117
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
Seriously.

It likely helps that she's older and probably doesn't look like she'd cause trouble.
Seriously!

So being older and not looking like you might cause trouble is justification for defeating TSA's security plan funded by an $8,000,000,000.00 annual budget.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 9:11 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Seriously!

So being older and not looking like you might cause trouble is justification for defeating TSA's security plan funded by an $8,000,000,000.00 annual budget.
Evidently.

Although to be fair I wouldn't necessarily single out the TSA here, nor would I claim that being older is the only way. In a couple of cases kids managed to get onto aircraft without documentation. Back in November one of them boarded a flight at GVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...rd-flight.html) but was caught before takeoff:

"According to airport officials, she first attempted to follow a crew onboard a flight, but this plan was stymied when she was challenged by an alert gate agent. Unfortunately, the pint-sized, would-be stowaway had a contingency plan already in place. The mischievous escape artist simply pretended to look for her parents before expertly melting into a nearby crowd."

The other kid, an 11 year old, managed to board a Jet2 flight MAN-FCO but was caught in flight ( http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-18979032
):

"An 11-year-old boy boarded a plane from Manchester to Rome on his own without a passport, tickets or boarding pass.

"He mingled with families to get through checks in Terminal 1 on Tuesday. He was found mid-air on the Jet2 plane after passengers became suspicious."

Last edited by Randomness; Jan 20, 18 at 9:16 pm Reason: link incorrectly auto-parsed; forced correct link by adding spaces
Randomness is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 9:21 pm
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,773
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
DHS should hire her for Red Team testing. She clearly knows how to defeat all layers of TSA security.
Unfortunately not, she won't get a job. Sorry! She still has a criminal record. She will never have a job for a very long time. She's still homeless.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 5:00 am
  #173  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 19,117
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
Evidently.

Although to be fair I wouldn't necessarily single out the TSA here, nor would I claim that being older is the only way. In a couple of cases kids managed to get onto aircraft without documentation. Back in November one of them boarded a flight at GVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...rd-flight.html) but was caught before takeoff:

"According to airport officials, she first attempted to follow a crew onboard a flight, but this plan was stymied when she was challenged by an alert gate agent. Unfortunately, the pint-sized, would-be stowaway had a contingency plan already in place. The mischievous escape artist simply pretended to look for her parents before expertly melting into a nearby crowd."

The other kid, an 11 year old, managed to board a Jet2 flight MAN-FCO but was caught in flight ( Boy, 11, boards plane to Italy at Manchester Airport without passport - BBC News
):

"An 11-year-old boy boarded a plane from Manchester to Rome on his own without a passport, tickets or boarding pass.

"He mingled with families to get through checks in Terminal 1 on Tuesday. He was found mid-air on the Jet2 plane after passengers became suspicious."
Neither of the two cases you referenced are TSA airports. How can TSA not be at fault? This lady accessed the secure area of the airport without authorization. She has been able to do the same at other airports. She proves that TSA security is a sham.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 7:03 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Neither of the two cases you referenced are TSA airports. How can TSA not be at fault? This lady accessed the secure area of the airport without authorization. She has been able to do the same at other airports. She proves that TSA security is a sham.
Where did I claim that the TSA wasn't at fault? My point is that TSA isn't alone at being bad at this, not that the TSA was at fault in MAN or GVA, or that it wasn't at fault here.

I don't think these incidents reflect well on any of the security organizations involved.
Randomness is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 7:45 am
  #175  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 19,117
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
Where did I claim that the TSA wasn't at fault? My point is that TSA isn't alone at being bad at this, not that the TSA was at fault in MAN or GVA, or that it wasn't at fault here.

I don't think these incidents reflect well on any of the security organizations involved.
Sounded to me that you were defending TSA. Sorry if I took your comment wrong. This lady has bested TSA numerous times at multiple airports. I think that says a lot about TSA .
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:56 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Sounded to me that you were defending TSA. Sorry if I took your comment wrong. This lady has bested TSA numerous times at multiple airports. I think that says a lot about TSA .
No problem. If you got the impression I was defending the TSA I obviously wasn't writing clearly enough.
Randomness is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:39 pm
  #177  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 19,117
Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
No problem. If you got the impression I was defending the TSA I obviously wasn't writing clearly enough.
Not necessarily, I may have been the only one to interpret your comment in that manner.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:31 pm
  #178  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Posts: 13,229
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Neither of the two cases you referenced are TSA airports. How can TSA not be at fault? This lady accessed the secure area of the airport without authorization. She has been able to do the same at other airports. She proves that TSA security is a sham.
Exactly. She has done it 10 times now! TSA should hire her just as FBI hired Frank Abingale Jr for doing the same thing (see Catch Me If You Can). Instead she'll get jailed again, because we have to show we are tough on airport security. People at my company lose their jobs for not following security protocols, but apparently that doesn't apply to TSA civil servants, who are more concerned with feeling up passengers.
84fiero likes this.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 3:30 am
  #179  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 94,349
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Exactly. She has done it 10 times now! TSA should hire her just as FBI hired Frank Abingale Jr for doing the same thing (see Catch Me If You Can). Instead she'll get jailed again, because we have to show we are tough on airport security. People at my company lose their jobs for not following security protocols, but apparently that doesn't apply to TSA civil servants, who are more concerned with feeling up passengers.
The TSA should just acknowledge the fact that as long as a person and their belongings are effectively screened to prevent the entry of restricted weapons/explosives/incendiaries into the "sterile" part of the airport/airplane, there is no fundamental security problem as the TSA's ID and boarding pass checks are just a governmental scam done in the name of "security".

The airline is on the hook for internationally transporting an improperly documented passenger, but that really shouldn't be the TSA's issue. It should be the airline's issue.

Assuming this woman has some kind of mental problem, it seems to me that the criminal prosecution of this woman is just a waste of government resources and that incarceration in a federal prison is just a waste of money in a country with so much violent crime as we have in the US. Hopefully a jury and judge realize this woman needs some kind of help for her pathological problem when it comes to air travel rather than being given an expensive stay in an expensive, brutal boarding school for criminals, aka prison.
STBCypriot and :D! like this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:51 am
  #180  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,657
Originally Posted by kochleffel View Post
I'd really like to know how she does it, because I have a hard enough time getting through when I'm supposed to be on the flight and have the correct documents.
From the media reports I've said ... the difference between you and her is that you're trying to get on a specific flight. She chose a moment to pass through the TSA checkpoint when the TDC was distracted; she then made different attempts to board different aircraft (including staying overnight in the airport) until she managed to get past a distracted gate agent.
jkhuggins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: