Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Passport & Visa backlog results from State Dept. Glitch

Old Jul 25, 14, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Anyone here hit by this State Department database glitch that has caused a bit of a backlog for US passports and US visas?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...isa-processing

"Unspecified glitches in the department's Consular Consolidated Database have resulted in 'significant performance issues, including outages' in the processing of applications for passports, visas and reports of Americans born abroad since Saturday, spokeswoman Marie Harf said. She said the problem is worldwide and not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category."

" 'We apologize to applicants and recognize this may cause hardship to applicants waiting on visas and passports. We are working to correct the issue as quickly as possible,' she said."
Given reports that in just one of the many countries the glitch hit 50,000 applicants, it seems like the most hit country would be something like the US, China or India.

Oracle DBAs messed it up? http://www.infoworld.com/t/e-governm...e-fritz-247039

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 25, 14 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 25, 14, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA
Someone posted on the UA board today asking about waiver of change fees because his wife is stuck overseas because she lost her passport and the US embassy can't reissue it due to the computer issue.
Old Jul 25, 14, 7:27 pm

Great. Wonder how long this is going to last since I was planning on getting a passport soonish. No immediate travel plans but I've been wanting/meaning to get one for awhile now.
Old Jul 25, 14, 10:01 pm

whoops double post.

Last edited by LtKernelPanic; Jul 25, 14 at 10:02 pm Reason: double post
Old Jul 26, 14, 6:41 am

ever since the govt took the issuing of visas from the embassies it has been a cluster flop.

I was dealing with the people in New Hampshire and going around in circles.

one call to my senator resolved the issue in 24 hours.
Old Jul 27, 14, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Any updates on this? We might have some passport renewals coming up soon....
Old Jul 27, 14, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Any updates on this? We might have some passport renewals coming up soon....
The guy posting on the UA board says the system is back up, but is running slow and of course there is a backlog.
Old Jul 28, 14, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
The guy posting on the UA board says the system is back up, but is running slow and of course there is a backlog.
It's back up, still running slow, and as of the last announcement Friday, they not only have a backlog, they still (officially) don't know what the problem is. They did fall back to some kind of backup or earlier version of things, but the performance issues are persisting.
Old Jul 28, 14, 6:58 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
I had to cancel a trip to the US because of this. AF refunded my outbound, waiting for a response from US Air for my return flight.

Search this Thread