Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone seen jetway gate checks in any airports outside of where they were already? Typically central and South America have them and China-departing flights. Also I've seen them at JNB...has the new threat brought them elsewhere?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:10 pm
RJ1

I saw a breaking news headline this morning that says we will be required to turn on our smartphones (presumably to prove they are indeed smartphones).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
I saw a breaking news headline this morning that says we will be required to turn on our smartphones (presumably to prove they are indeed smartphones).
Heard a similar report on the BBCWS this morning. If they ask you to power up your laptop/pad/gadget at the checkpoint, and it has a dead batt or otherwise won't turn on, it won't be making the flight.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28185149

Last edited by chucko; Jul 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm Reason: added link to BBC story
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by RJ1
If the bomb goes off on a plane or at a checkpoint, doesn't it still have the same impact on the world economy?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by chucko
Heard a similar report on the BBCWS this morning. If they ask you to power up your laptop/pad/gadget at the checkpoint, and it has a dead batt or otherwise won't turn on, it won't be making the flight.
Sheer idiocy, confiscating phones and laptops just because they have a dead battery.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/06/us/tsa...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by javabytes
Sheer idiocy, confiscating phones and laptops just because they have a dead battery.

This scumbag agency appears to be trying to do its Christmas shopping early.

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed the TSA last week to enhance security at overseas airports that have direct flights to the United States. The specifics of the enhanced measures weren't originally released, and it isn't known what other measures the TSA may employ.

Meet the new jackass. Same as the old jackass. At least the last couple of jackasses had complete first names.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:09 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Spiff
This scumbag agency appears to be trying to do its Christmas shopping early.

Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed the TSA last week to enhance security at overseas airports that have direct flights to the United States. The specifics of the enhanced measures weren't originally released, and it isn't known what other measures the TSA may employ.

Meet the new jackass. Same as the old jackass. At least the last couple of jackasses had complete first names.

I didn't see this thread before I'd posted a related reply in another thread; so I'll "repeat" it here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23152433-post15.html
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by javabytes

They are trying to roll this out to more airports but it hasn't been implemented for all US-bound flights yet at least.

These DHS/TSA circus characters are so busy obsessing over the trivial that they can't focus on contraband WEI interdiction in an intelligent manner -- instead they come up with another circus show performance which doesn't focus even on screening for explosives. This does focus on electronics which may be used to conceal explosives but don't have any explosives -- this seems a desperate CYA move by DHS/TSA that just goes to show how DHS/TSA is unable to reliably interdict contraband WEIs even when frogmarching its covered airlines, the related contractors and foreign authorities too.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
If the bomb goes off on a plane or at a checkpoint, doesn't it still have the same impact on the world economy?
If IEDs start going off in rapid succession at airport screening checkpoints with unnecessarily long lines because of the TSA dog and pony show, then you can bet that would turn off air travel (in some places) way more than a single plane or handful of planes from that airport being attacked by terrorist's bomb(s),
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skeletor

Anybody notice they interviewed Chertoff in the CNN story???
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:25 pm

This is exactly why TSA/directives exist in the first place. To be able to make intelligence based adjustments to evolving threats. And it seems that is exactly what they are doing.

Don't always agree with TSA but glad they are there instead of our gang of anti-government extremists.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
This is exactly why TSA/directives exist in the first place. To be able to make intelligence based adjustments to evolving threats. And it seems that is exactly what they are doing.

Don't always agree with TSA but glad they are there instead of our gang of anti-government extremists.
Until these cunning terrorists realize that they just have to ensure their devices that look like tablets or laptops have the capability to look like they're booting up.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80

TSA scumbag "leaders" employ no intelligence when they issue stupid directives like these.

I hope you're still willing to fly after TSA is kicked out of out airports and its scumbag leaders and many of its employees are sent to prison.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

TSA scumbag "leaders" employ no intelligence when they issue stupid directives like these.

And you know this how? Of course it came from intelligence.

I hope you're still willing to fly after TSA is kicked out of out airports and its scumbag leaders and many of its employees are sent to prison.

I can't say much other than you are one of the most delusional men completely out of touch with reality as i've ever come across. With the conviction you type, it almost sounds like you see that as even a faint possibility. You live in a dream. If you really believe that, make a bet with me on it. 1000:1 odds. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If IEDs start going off in rapid succession at airport screening checkpoints with unnecessarily long lines because of the TSA dog and pony show, then you can bet that would turn off air travel (in some places) way more than a single plane or handful of planes from that airport being attacked by terrorist's bomb(s),
A series of coordinated suicide bombings at checkpoints at a few major airports nationwide would bring US aviation to its knees. And not one damn thing the TSA does would be able to stop such an attack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.