Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Heightened security at U.S airports (and overseas?)

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by sefrischling
It went into effect on the 7th of July in the United States for flights originating in the U.S., both domestic and international. It is in the TSA Playbook as Operations Directive 400.5, named SEL-001.

Presently it is in place through the 28th of July.

I have confirmed this with multiple people within the TSA, seen the Directive and TSA HQ has now confirmed it.
Thanks for the informative update.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Technically, if TSA was officially "confiscating" those items, then those items would be in the possession of the TSA. TSA would then have complete freedom as to the ultimate disposition of those items: discard as refuse, resell on the open market, repurpose for other uses, and so on.

What's supposed to be happening under TSA rules is quite different: the items are discarded as refuse, and TSA never takes possession of them....
Actually, one of my neighbors bought (for some inexplicable reason) dozens of TSA-confiscated pocket knives. Here is one article about it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
In short: TSA absolutely doesn't want to say that it is confiscating items --- not because of how it looks to the public, but because TSA then becomes responsible for handling those items properly.
In short, TSA doesn't want to say that it is confiscating items that aren't a hazard to flight security because of how it looks to the public and because of the potential pickle of a public situation it would place it in when it comes to court challenges over such matters.

That is why the government lawyers had the language revised with a reliance upon rulings and legal opinions that undermined the (non-)"right to leave" during screening. Hazmat disposal is part of the picture but that alone wasn't the driver for the TSA language change.

As someone with the kind of lawyerly friends to pick fights from either, both or all sides on such matter, I'm really looking forward to litigation over some such incidents and why a TSA-forced surrender/confiscation of harmless, very valuable electronics was supposedly "necessary" and not "excessively intrusive" when effective x-Ray and/or ETD of a device makes it rather evident that the possibility of the device being contraband WEI is limited to the realm of cartoon/fantasy shows. It's really too bad that passengers subject to TSA forced surrender/confiscation of valuable, legitimate property aren't allowed to video/photo capture images of all the screening technology/process/results being used or not used on and against their own valuable property and maintenance of individual property rights.

I don't know how familiar you are with the academic historical reviews of legal workings of modern states that transitioned from having sort of democratic institutions to having authoritarian and/or totalitarian regimes, but undermining individual property rights, under law and regulation, of otherwise free people has routinely been fundamental to such transitions in each and every case in still living memory.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
It's already been implemented overseas, it just hasn't started here in the US.
It's been started in the US.

The TSA can't have this done as extensively overseas, as (fortunately) the US legal basis for such forced surrender/confiscation of targeted property/property rights in the US doesn't have its equivalent everywhere overseas with flights to the US.

The legal allowance for "security" to force surrender/confiscation of property isn't the same everywhere, as the "right to leave" during screening and/or the "right to exercise valid property rights" hasn't, under law, been equally undermined everywhere with US flight service.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by thepfy
I believe the restriction to a small volume of liquid was the consequence of a plot foiled by the UK security forces where the terrorists had planned to have explosives in soft drink bottles (using Tang to make it appear and taste like a soft drink). The rationale is that only having a small volume of liquid would significantly reduce the viability of any explosive device.
That wasn't a plot, it was a fantasy. A few yokels (without passports even) made some videos with some wishful thinking.

Just wait until somebody makes a video about making bombs that look like candy bars
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
That wasn't a plot, it was a fantasy. A few yokels (without passports even) made some videos with some wishful thinking.

Just wait until somebody makes a video about making bombs that look like candy bars
Or bombs that look like carry-on, wheeled cabin bags -- with the wheels or telescoping handle concealing the same sort of contraband as a phone with the same sort of contraband that has the TSA in electronics overdrive at home and and abroad too.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Originally Posted by thepfy
I believe the restriction to a small volume of liquid was the consequence of a plot foiled by the UK security forces where the terrorists had planned to have explosives in soft drink bottles (using Tang to make it appear and taste like a soft drink). The rationale is that only having a small volume of liquid would significantly reduce the viability of any explosive device.
And for about the jillionth time in this forum, how does the small volume of liquid per container and the limited number of containers per person per checkpoint pass prevent one person from mixing the contents of all their containers together airside? How does it prevent multiple persons from mixing the contents of all their containers together? How does it prevent one person from going through the checkpoint multiple times and leaving his liquids airside each time until he has as much liquid as needed?

(Hint: it doesn't.)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If this does start in the US before December, please post it here.

I have two very old laptops that I no longer use and discarding them in a legal manner is a real PITA. I would not object to bringing them with me when I fly TLV-JFK-LAS and passing on this headache to the TSA before getting on my JFK-LAS flight.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster

I have two very old laptops that I no longer use and discarding them in a legal manner is a real PITA. I would not object to bringing them with me when I fly TLV-JFK-LAS and passing on this headache to the TSA before getting on my JFK-LAS flight.
What a great idea! I have a couple of old analog TV sets.

Remember when everyone talked about bringing old motor oil or brake fluid to a checkpoint when the War on Water started???
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
And for about the jillionth time in this forum, how does the small volume of liquid per container and the limited number of containers per person per checkpoint pass prevent one person from mixing the contents of all their containers together airside? How does it prevent multiple persons from mixing the contents of all their containers together? How does it prevent one person from going through the checkpoint multiple times and leaving his liquids airside each time until he has as much liquid as needed?

(Hint: it doesn't.)
Now you're just letting common sense get in the way of things!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:04 pm
Suspended

It's already started in the US; but unless you are subjected to flying with a haraSSSSment boarding pass your odds are much higher that you'll be carrying those laptop bricks with you until you find a place to dispose of them on your own. That said, it would be rather amusing if the TSA ends up being the "free" electronic waste dump site even for those who don't get hit by this latest theatrical "security" measure.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's already started in the US; but unless you are subjected to flying with a haraSSSSment boarding pass your odds are much higher that you'll be carrying those laptop bricks with you until you find a place to dispose of them on your own.
What if I am not SSSSed but volunteer the information?

"Sir, I have two laptops which cannot be turned on. I was just told a few minutes ago that they are forbidden on airplanes. Do you want me to surrender them?"
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:01 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
What if I am not SSSSed but volunteer the information?

"Sir, I have two laptops which cannot be turned on. I was just told a few minutes ago that they are forbidden on airplanes. Do you want me to surrender them?"
Don't you have Best Buy in Israel? Take them to Best Buy, they recycle stuff like that for free. And if you don't have Best Buy in Israel, just bring them with you to the USA and bring them to Best Buy or Staples.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold

It has been in place since July 7th in the U.S. for selectees , and is currently scheduled to be in place through July 28th at which time its continuance will be reevaluated.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by stc
Don't you have Best Buy in Israel? Take them to Best Buy, they recycle stuff like that for free. And if you don't have Best Buy in Israel, just bring them with you to the USA and bring them to Best Buy or Staples.
Does Best Buy take used motor oil?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.