Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why PreCheck has failed to keep its promise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why PreCheck has failed to keep its promise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:37 pm

Yes, they are cutting back. They are blaming staff cuts - even though there are still plenty of agents hanging around and barking orders at most airports. I think the idea is to get us to complain to Congress so they can get their funding back. Meanwhile, how about letting us keep our liquids and laptops in our bags whether the lane is open or not?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obvious solution is Pre Check style screening for everyone as initial screening.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Stratplans
Yes, they are cutting back. They are blaming staff cuts - even though there are still plenty of agents hanging around and barking orders at most airports. I think the idea is to get us to complain to Congress so they can get their funding back. Meanwhile, how about letting us keep our liquids and laptops in our bags whether the lane is open or not?
If TSOs were not permitted to use their cellphones at the checkpoints, there would be a lot more hands available to grope pax and staff Pre lanes.

Whatever happened to the over-priced for the taxpayer headsets they were wearing when the TSOs were pretending to be Secret Service types? Not as much fun as personal smart phones, I imagine.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:53 am

They can't get enough people to enroll. The more who realize that PreCheck is not available all the time, the fewer will enroll. Many complaints about PreCheck on @AskTSA.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Seriously! Leaving shoes on is not the consolation prize I want! Between electronics, liquids, and my CPAP device, I end up with three gray bins on every trip. Once on a business trip before PC, I had 6.

(Fun side note: I opted out of the backscatter and it took 3 TSA Agents to carry my stuff to the private room because they couldn't stack the equipment without damaging it. That was my minor victory before Freedom Grope).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how much money PreCheck gets when someone pays $100 to apply for GE. Is there revenue sharing or do all GE fees go to immigration and customs (CBP) rather than TSA?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
As a very frequent user I would gladly pay $100 per year or more to support Pre Check at its present levels or to expand it further during the leaner years until they are able to reach a critical mass of users.

They can't raise the user price.. that certainly won't help to get more people to sign up..in fact I think they should lower it to $25 for the first sign up ($100 for renewals)...and then they need to tax something related that everyone pays for..add a couple pennies to every ticket for it..whatever it takes.

TSA Pre works...it will become more ubiquitous in time.. but it just hasn't been long enough yet to get enough people signed up for it. I advocate for it at the top of my lungs to colleagues, friends, family..and I've convinced many to get signed up..but the fact is some infrequent travelers just aren't that urgent about it because of the sign up process (until they've had a bad experience or missed a flight...then I'm the one they call for help).

It irritates me to hear they are actually or considering permanent closures.. I know at IAH they have early closures at many checkpoints and revert to the half-assed screening.

At JFK T4 last July after 8pm PreCheck was closed and the lines were mammoth...why was it closed!? I had a 10pm flight and there were later ones. Surely the TSA at JFK T4 with Delta as its main tenant who has a large hub there could justify having a TSA Pre lane open until 11pm instead of lines snaking out the front door... stupid.

As I said... I'd pay more...but my small donation will do nothing. I say if the government is in for a penny they need to be in for a pound. It's time for "the Surge". Increase ticket taxes a tiny bit to pay what it costs to make Pre function properly at every airport...and be open frequently, at every airport! With very limited exceptions. Then lower the sign up price, and heavily market the program, and in another 3-5 years enough will be enrolled they can raise the price to $100, cut back on the taxes, and then enjoy the self sufficiency they'll get from the renewal fees.
The most direct way to increase use would be to use Pre Check standards as the initial screening method for all people. If they alarm then step up the screening until all issues are resolved. Every lane would be Pre Check every day. It takes fewer screeners to staff Pre Check screening lanes so there would be available people to handle people who need additional screening.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:36 am

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is looking to increase TSA Precheck and Global Entry membership from five million to a combined 25 million in coming years, but faces the challenge of finding ways to encourage frequent travelers to enroll without a large marketing budget to spend on advertising.
Ain't never gonna happen.

25 million enrollees
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:00 am

Last Thursday around 6:30 PM, the Precheck line at the DTW North terminal checkpoint was closed. I asked the ID checker why and he said "It always closes at a certain time." I immediately called BS as I have been through that checkpoint nearly every Thursday at the same time and it was always open, then he just said "staffing issues" - he did not want to answer any questions. Staffing issues was a BS excuse too because there were a half dozen blue shirts standing around the checkpoint area playing pocket pool.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by t325
Last Thursday around 6:30 PM, the Precheck line at the DTW North terminal checkpoint was closed. I asked the ID checker why and he said "It always closes at a certain time." I immediately called BS as I have been through that checkpoint nearly every Thursday at the same time and it was always open, then he just said "staffing issues" - he did not want to answer any questions. Staffing issues was a BS excuse too because there were a half dozen blue shirts standing around the checkpoint area playing pocket pool.
This, more than anything else TSOs do, really disgusts me.

I don't like liars. I really really don't like liars.

He made a conscious decision: give the pax a truthful answer or lie. He chose to lie - twice. That tells me he does not have the character and integrity to be trusted with my safety.

Last edited by chollie; Mar 14, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta, hhonors
precheck lane closures

I'm fortunate enough to get precheck on every single flight since i joined global entry. This is great. Lately, however, it seems this has been of questionable benefit since these precheck lanes are now open less frequently. On a recent trip, they were closed at both LAX T5 and JFK T4 - apparently they close at 1930 hrs. For such large hub airports this is a very disappointing. And the "precheck lite" treatment is ominous at best - yellow cards, partial checks... really? All they do is add to the confusion. For a service we are paying for, this is not what one would expect. Hope they get their act together.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Cool Is the TSA in breach on contract?

Leaving SJC today, there is no one staffing PreCheck. This is a service I paid for. I don't want to whine or sound 'privileged' but I have to wonder: If an airport has a PreCheck line, and it is not staffed, is the TSA in breach contract for failing to provide a service I paid for?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
No. There isn't any guarantee on the government's part that Pre will always be available at all times.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Flyertalk ... I swear ...!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrumpyAnalyst
Leaving SJC today, there is no one staffing PreCheck. This is a service I paid for. I don't want to whine or sound 'privileged' but I have to wonder: If an airport has a PreCheck line, and it is not staffed, is the TSA in breach contract for failing to provide a service I paid for?
What are the terms of the contract?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.