Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me what these devices are at US land crossings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I hope this is the right forum to post in..

So I've wondered this for a while, and even debated asking the CBP officer, but never have due to wanting to come off as suspicious. They're the two white devices that are slightly higher than a vehicle in a yellow covering.

To see exactly what I'm talking about, you can see at the Detroit-Windsor crossing on Google Maps: Here

All I could find is that it's a radiation detector, but that seemed silly to me. Obviously transporting radioactive material across the border isn't good, but how often does that happen that they're permanently installed at every land crossing I've ever been to.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by xero9

All I could find is that it's a radiation detector, but that seemed silly to me. Obviously transporting radioactive material across the border isn't good, but how often does that happen that they're permanently installed at every land crossing I've ever been to.
Paranoia brought on by 9/11.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Paranoia brought on by 9/11.
So that's really what they are??
Old May 22, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
They really do have radiation detectors at land crossings. Here's one at the Peace Arch that was set off by someone who had radiation therapy (complete with "Alert. Alert." sound).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAl4A...L4HVL88#t=1434
Old May 22, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dustman81
They really do have radiation detectors at land crossings. Here's one at the Peace Arch that was set off by someone who had radiation therapy (complete with "Alert. Alert." sound).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAl4A...L4HVL88#t=1434
Yet as of 2009 they didn't have them in airports. My wife went through two airports while hot from a nuclear heart scan. Yet 2 half-lives later she sets off two detectors in PVG. (And she managed to leave the card from the lab at home when she changed jackets at the last minute. PVG was actually too lax in my opinion, I wonder how bad it would have been had she set off a detector here.)
Old May 23, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: QFF
I'm watching a repeat of Border Security USA (based on the Australian version) at the moment showing such a device in use at Blaine.

hmm.. it's the clip linked above. Looks like someone (either ABC or Seven) redubbed it.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:45 am

I hope this is the right forum to post in..

So I've wondered this for a while, and even debated asking the CBP officer, but never have due to wanting to come off as suspicious. They're the two white devices that are slightly higher than a vehicle in a yellow covering.

To see exactly what I'm talking about, you can see at the Detroit-Windsor crossing on Google Maps: Here

They are radiation monitors. All land border crossings have them. Seaports have them and some airports for air cargo. All the officers working frontline assignments are also issued personal radiation pagers that are worn on the belt.

Radioactive material is transported across the border everyday. The vast majority are legitimate shipments. However, regularly shipments are located that do not have the paperwork in order. This does not mean that the material is being used for nefarious purposes just that the paperwork is not correct. The monitors assist in verifying what is supposed to be there and verifying that the material that is not supposed to be there isn't.

FB
Old May 23, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So that's really what they are??
Yes. Welcome to the product of post-9/11 paranoia being funded by the USG.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Firebug4
They are radiation monitors. All land border crossings have them. Seaports have them and some airports for air cargo. All the officers working frontline assignments are also issued personal radiation pagers that are worn on the belt.

Radioactive material is transported across the border everyday. The vast majority are legitimate shipments. However, regularly shipments are located that do not have the paperwork in order. This does not mean that the material is being used for nefarious purposes just that the paperwork is not correct. The monitors assist in verifying what is supposed to be there and verifying that the material that is not supposed to be there isn't.

FB
Thanks Firebug. Hope all is well with you & yours. Being retired now is great
Old May 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Thanks Firebug. Hope all is well with you & yours. Being retired now is great
Good to here. Retirement seems so far away.

FB
Old May 27, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I don't think I will ever understand the US LEO pattern of macho bull and shouting. It's unproductive and simply escalates situations. Completely unprofessional and a sign of poor training.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Firebug4

FB
Sooner than you think
Old May 28, 2014, 6:35 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I don't think I will ever understand the US LEO pattern of macho bull and shouting. It's unproductive and simply escalates situations. Completely unprofessional and a sign of poor training.
Very true. Big Gun, Small Penis.
You will often hear LEs speak some line about "Who will go home tonight, them or me" or something like that. It starts during initial training. CBP is ingrained from day one with the attitude of "keeping the bad guys out". I have vast experience handling large amounts of CBP training and that is a hard thing to break. It is cultural.

Having handling training for some of them they much prefer yelling to "thought" in many aspects.
You have to look at the pool of labour that they draw from. Some good and smart and motivated, some hick, uneducated, and feckless.

FB
Grammar Nazi: you mean "hear"....
Old May 29, 2014, 8:18 am

Talking

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I Agree completely. I deal with police agencies all over the world, we are by far the most ridiculous in attitude and professional training (of real modern police forces..) I spend a lot of time in the UAE... they smile and shake your hand every time they see you "My friend, you were doing 100 in a 30 zone.. lets have tea while I write your ticket..." Back home.. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM... !!!!!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
They are radiation detectors, and I have no problem with them at all border crossings and ports. A number of years ago, there was a shipment of steel beams being transported. Upon passing the radiation detectors at a nuclear power plant under construction without any fuel having been loaded, the detectors went off. It seems that the steel company had, in error, melted a cobalt-60 medical radiation source into the steel. Keeping undocumented radioactive material out of the country could prevent a "dirty bomb" or worse. Unfortunately, weapons grade plutonium is an alpha emitter and hard to detect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.