Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are stolen passports not detected?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
i lost one in london, wife and i had pair taken in northern france. went to embassy to get replacements. did not see much interest by employees to report them missing. london guy commented, "fleet street must be paved with us passports"
Really? If you're from the US, State Department takes loss of passport seriously. I recall that when I reported it to the embassy, they were doing a follow up investigation as to who stole it. I lost mine many many years ago and I still get taken to secondary everytime I land into IAH.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Something wasn't right. They stolen passports from Thailand. Immigration computer system do not have database access. No one who responsible for this. I am very concerns about those 5 passengers who stolen passports. They didn't put on "No Fly Lists". He could be arrested or deported. Immigration computer system that do not have invalid or stolen. Could be big mistake. It wasn't their fault. No one who blame them against those guys, but they didn't caught the guys. They have keep terrorist off the plane. Do not put him onboard the aircraft unless if the passport is valid. Every time they have to check the passport before boarding the aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerhog
Really? If you're from the US, State Department takes loss of passport seriously. I recall that when I reported it to the embassy, they were doing a follow up investigation as to who stole it. I lost mine many many years ago and I still get taken to secondary everytime I land into IAH.
You're an exception then; that and/or the government considers that you may have a history of voluntarily "sharing" your passport and be up to that currently. Most people who have had a reported lost or stolen US passport don't end up taken to secondary inspection everytime they arrive at a US port of entry/CBP clearance facility.

State doesn't have the resources to extensively investigate most reported passport thefts. If a pattern is noticed in those or other reports, then there may be increased resource allocation to investigate specific incidents. If there is strong suspicion of the passport having been voluntarily sold or "shared" by the person (or a related party) whose passport is reported lost/stolen and/or otherwise misused, then your kind of outcome becomes more probable than would otherwise be the case.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:09 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You're an exception then; that and/or the government considers that you may have a history of voluntarily "sharing" your passport and be up to that currently. Most people who have had a reported lost or stolen US passport don't end up taken to secondary inspection everytime they arrive at a US port of entry/CBP clearance facility.

State doesn't have the resources to extensively investigate most reported passport thefts. If a pattern is noticed in those or other reports, then there may be increased resource allocation to investigate specific incidents. If there is strong suspicion of the passport having been voluntarily sold or "shared" by the person (or a related party) whose passport is reported lost/stolen and/or otherwise misused, then your kind of outcome becomes more probable than would otherwise be the case.
I lost one US passport, over twenty years ago. Every single time I enter the US, I am asked about it. At certain ports of entry, I always get a secondary inspection (JFK); at others just a few questions (SEA, IAD, etc.).
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:55 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:09 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
(In)SecureFlight data filings don't require passport data -- a large proportion of domestic passengers don't have currently valid passport data -- and name discrepancies between the filed field data for the above fields and the passport name/data generally comes with no adverse outcomes for the passenger even on international flights out of the US.

Absent the passport number+country in the MRZ coming up as flagged, this stuff also gets missed even by the USG/US CBP when passengers are flying out of the US using doctored stolen docs.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected was true: all the databases in the world won't prevent people from flying with fraudulent/fake documents.

Early on in the Malaysia Air story, a security expert was on television saying that people fly all the time with documents that conceal their true identity.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Perhaps other governments share my opinion. Or that they simply aren't interested in checking Interpol's database. Or that they don't think Interpol's database is reliable/accurate. Who knows?

I hope that Interpol is not successful in spreading hysteria about fake/false passports due to this incident, which is looking less and less likely to have any real sinister happenings re: the passengers whose passports were not accurate.
Interpol has exploited the situation as I had known it would (and mentioned in the MH thread on the missing plane). I-checkit has been rolled out now and Qatar and Air Arabia signed up for it to vet against Interpol's SLTD database.

http://rt.com/news/interpol-stolen-p...-database-318/

http://www.interpol.int/Crime-areas/...ting/I-Checkit

The following may be interesting to some but it's not news to me:
http://www.interpol.int/enเธ%20%20เธ.../SLTD-Database

Noble still wants it to be used systematically by airlines, hotels and banks. It would make it easier for his US backers and the closest intelligence sharing allies to expand the international mass surveillance infrastructure, as Edward Snowden's docs show too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 12, 2014 at 6:59 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
I lost one US passport, over twenty years ago. Every single time I enter the US, I am asked about it. At certain ports of entry, I always get a secondary inspection (JFK); at others just a few questions (SEA, IAD, etc.).
An ATS score may change due to what the USG files when a passport is reported stolen/lost. If the passport reported has been acknowledged somehow -- automatically or manually -- as misused after the report was taken, then you're more likely to have more issues than others; much the same and worse goes for those suspected of selling/sharing a passport. "No good deed goes unpunished" .... sometimes but not always.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by angatol
Which countries scan passports on exit?
You mean which governments almost always physically scan most passengers' passports on exit from the country and/or immigration/customs union/zone? And scan for what?

If you answer those questions, then I likely already know the answer or can get a very good one.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:25 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

I mean scan the passport via some machine rather than just look at it. Nobody scans my passport if I travel FCO-LHR and back for example. Then again, when thinking of l/h flights my passport is scanned at LHR and at security in the US, so perhaps it is all l/h flights. Or is it? I can't say I take all that much notice!
The airline or airline kiosk or website/app doesn't ask you for your passport details on FCO-LHR flights? That data is just data taken from MRZ or provided by manual entry.

The FCO passport control people sometimes scan passports; and sometimes they just look at the cover of my passport and perhaps only flip to a random visa page to place an exit stamp (if even that).

It's uncommon for government authorities to physically scan exiting passengers' passports to do the scan against the Interpol SLTD database.

The US, UK and the UAE account for most of the passport queries against the SLTD database, and the US and UK most frequently don't have physical exit control checks that have the government authorities directly scanning the passport against SLTD databases. The US and UK are mainly relying upon the airlines and/or passenger-supplied data when it comes to checking exiting passengers against SLTD and other databases.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 12, 2014 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:34 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Yes, my passport details are entered on the airline's site. But that doesn't actually show I possess that passport or it has my photo on it.

They don't scan my passport going in or out (UK passport) and half the time they don't even open it.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
My info may be sort of outdated, according to a well-placed liaison who is still looking into this. The US, UK and UAE together accounted for most queries historically but that may no longer be true for the most recent quarters and it is unlikely to be the case this year.

We know that what the airline or passenger supplies can be gamed. No skin off my back, as long as contraband WEIs don't get allowed onto my flights -- something that passport checking cannot do.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Member

Ron Noble (who I've met from when we were both federal prosecutors) says that only about 20 of the 190 or so countries check their airline passenger rosters against the list of known stolen passports maintained by Interpol. Malaysia is not one of them.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Ron Noble (who I've met from when we were both federal prosecutors) says that only about 20 of the 190 or so countries check their airline passenger rosters against the list of known stolen passports maintained by Interpol. Malaysia is not one of them.
How can we get the other 20 to stop wasting time/resources?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.