Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I gave up on using a DL for ID a few years ago since I obviously have an eyeball problem

When I got my NJ DL (back in the 80s) the DMV said my eyes were green and applied this to my application. Ok, they were green-ish, and at 17 I didn't care. As I got older, my eyes got lighter, and now they are definitely blue. But my DL says green. And unfortunately I have had to explain this over and over again to TSA... no, I'm not wearing colored contacts.... yes, it's really me and these are my original eyeballs..... and to change it in the system means a whole new DL# or some monumental horror or so I was told when I asked about it (and quickly averted my eyes) as the last 3 digits of our DL's are a combo of eye color code and birth year.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Calchas
Presumably by the DC Home Rule Act 1973.
Originally Posted by ND76
The District of Columbia "Home Rule Charter", which is the "organic statute" for the activities of the DC local government, is an Act of Congress, Public Law 93-198, approved 12/24/1973:

http://www.abfa.com/ogc/hrtall.htm
Found it. Under Section 302:

[D.C. Code 1-204] Except as provided in sections 601, 602, and 603 [D.C. Code 1-206, 1-233, and 47-313], the legislative power of the District shall extend to all rightful subjects of legislation within the District consistent with the Constitution of the United States and the provisions of this Act subject to all the restrictions and limitations imposed upon the States by the tenth section of the first article of the Constitution of the United States.
Originally Posted by zgringo14
A DC DL is a federal ID.
Actually no. Based on my understanding, DC is conferred as a de facto state in term legislative power. So any law, rules, and policies originated by this legislative power should be considered as a state's power. Unless the Congress takes this away.

So unless the Congress wants to regulate drivers in DC, I will still see that as a de facto state ID/DL.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Maybe this was the same TSO that insisted that "New" Mexico was not part of the United States. You get what you pay for.
This is hillarious. I mean how dumb a comment is that coming from TSA or(TSO?)?!

I have had an agent verify with his superior whether or not Hawaii was part of the USA.
That is sad..

Last edited by msiamsia; Feb 27, 2014 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: A few here and there
I live in the District and have the "new" DC drivers license. My last 4 trips (SFO, DTW, FLL and MSP) I have been stopped for having a "foreign" drivers license. This was Precheck and most people have no idea where the "district of columbia" is. The old license had "Washington, D.C." vs. District of Columbia.
Most of the TSA agents are really embarrassed when they realize what it is. I think this is more of a reflection on the state of our nations schools vs. training of the TSA. Regardless, it is annoying and a has caused laughs from the people behind me as well as the supervisors.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tingalex
Prior to the advent of PreCheck, I lost track of the number of times that the TSA didn't recognize my NEXUS card or Canadian Driver's License. Of course, speaking to supervisors, filing complaints, etc. never did any good. It's a pathetic reflection on the training program (or lack thereof) for a job where a minimal level of knowledge is even required in the first place.
Meanwhile AVSECO would not permit this level of incompetence, as they are a private company.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually no. Based on my understanding, DC is conferred as a de facto state in term legislative power. So any law, rules, and policies originated by this legislative power should be considered as a state's power. Unless the Congress takes this away.

So unless the Congress wants to regulate drivers in DC, I will still see that as a de facto state ID/DL.
Why would they be considered the exercise of a state's power when they are not exercised by any state, but rather the power is exercised by an organization created by the US federal government, "exclusively" overseen by the US federal government, and whose existence is entirely contingent on the federal government's capricious whim? As an outsider to the US system it is difficult for me to understand how this could be any more different to a State except in the sense of a "geographical administrative division".
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
All of this has me thinking: Are drivers licenses issued by Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the USVI and CNMI valid for use at a TSA checkpoint? The verbiage states that they accept "state" issued photo ID.
YES they are all valid. It's not whether they are a "state" or not rather whether they meet REAL ID Act requirements which all states and U.S. territories do
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:30 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Unfortunately, this is not limited to TSA officers. We've had police officers in a number of jurisdictions do this to people from the territories like Guam, USVI, Puerto Rico, CNMI and American Samoa. Sad how ignorant we are about the territories
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
All of this has me thinking: Are drivers licenses issued by Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the USVI and CNMI valid for use at a TSA checkpoint? The verbiage states that they accept "state" issued photo ID.
In BOS and IAH I've been asked for my passport when presenting my PR Driver's License.

What really bothered me is that at Walt Disney World and Costco... both in Central Florida, where there is a HUGE Puerto Rican population and large numbers of Puerto Rican visitors, I've been refused alcohol due to myy PR DL. With Disney calling security and a manager, and Costco actually calling the police.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by rbphilip
I had a TSA agent in Hawaii refuse to acknowledge that a NEXUS card was valid, despite it having "issued by Department of Homeland Security" on the back, and being item #3 on the list of "acceptable forms of ID". He wasn't happy if when I asked if he'd ever looked at the TSA website and suggested he ask for more training.
Hah. Happened to me at ORD.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by tingalex
Prior to the advent of PreCheck, I lost track of the number of times that the TSA didn't recognize my NEXUS card or Canadian Driver's License. Of course, speaking to supervisors, filing complaints, etc. never did any good. It's a pathetic reflection on the training program (or lack thereof) for a job where a minimal level of knowledge is even required in the first place.
The excuse I got for not accepting the NEXUS card by TSA@PHX in 2012 was that the government issued ID had to have my signature on it. Pity they don't spend the effort bringing themselves up to speed with the most basic aspects of their job as they do covering their tracks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Transiting PHL from international arrivals to domestic connection a couple of years ago, I presented my British Passport to the TSA officer and answered a couple of her questions.

"Oh", she said, "You speak such good English. What language do you normally speak in your country?"

Cue every US citizen in the line doing their very best to hide away to avoid embarrassment ...
Had I been behind you in that queue, I would not have been embarassed, I would have been ANGRY that such a dolt was not only representing my country to our foreign guests, but was in a position of pseudo-authority where a basic knowledge of The World is something of a prerequisite.

"Are you !@*&% kiding me?! What kind of a !@*&% moron doesn't know that they speak !@*&% English in !@*&% England?! How the !@*&% did you get this job?! Holy !@*&% *&&^ !"
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Transiting PHL from international arrivals to domestic connection a couple of years ago, I presented my British Passport to the TSA officer and answered a couple of her questions.

"Oh", she said, "You speak such good English. What language do you normally speak in your country?"
Perhaps she just had an English sense of humour :P
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by mkt
What really bothered me is that at Walt Disney World and Costco... both in Central Florida, where there is a HUGE Puerto Rican population and large numbers of Puerto Rican visitors, I've been refused alcohol due to myy PR DL. With Disney calling security and a manager, and Costco actually calling the police.
While not typically a fan of it, situations like this may benefit from social media shaming. Collective corporate embarrassment often sometimes leads to training related to these issues.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:45 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ciba
While not typically a fan of it, situations like this may benefit from social media shaming. Collective corporate embarrassment often sometimes leads to training related to these issues.
This was back in the early days of social media. Online justice then required purchasing a domain with the suffix "sucks", and good usage of SEO.

Disney took care of it quite quickly. When security and the manager arrived, they had the ID book (which should have been at the bar), and they verified the authenticity of my ID. The manager even comped me a drink for the misunderstanding.

With Costco, even through the police officer vouched for the authenticity of my ID, they still refused to sell me the alcohol. It took a letter on law firm letterhead (thanks dad!) for Costco to see the error of their ways. I received a letter of apology and a free year of Costco membership. I now use my passport as my ID for going there though, since the same employee is still working there (at least she was last november).

Disney 1, Costco 0.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
...and to think that the only dd looks I get are when using $2 bills...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.