Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What maladies get you on the CDC no fly list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-epic/5208359/

From today's McPaper online:
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also keeps a list that TSA checks of people not permitted on aircraft because of health concerns."

Active TB, coodies?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: QFF
a list that TSA checks

TSA is practicing medicine without a license?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Himeno
a list that TSA checks

TSA is practicing medicine without a license?
How do you get from checking a public health list generated by the CDC to TSA practicing medicine? Personally I didn't know, or should say don't know, that the CDC maintains and publishes a list of individuals with certain diseases but I suppose that's possible. Considering how flakey the disease reporting system is I can't imagine it's a very accurate or maybe even current list but I'd assume it's not simply something like having the flu and would have to be something like TB.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:09 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Interesting. This is from when they first started the list, and at the time only some folks with TB were on it.

http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasur...s-no-fly-list/
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:46 am

A good friend of mine works for the CDC and I asked him about this list, he said it is those with serious communicable diseases and the names are supposed to be marked in a way to ensure that they are not viewed as would be bad actors, but rather people who should not fly until they are well.

In other words in theory the TSA is supposed to know that they are on the No-Fly list for health issues and not for nefarious reasons. Though I HIGHLY doubt the TSA is able to understand such distinctions and furthermore capably maintain the list in such a fashion to ensure that those innocent people who happen to get sick are not treated as "baddies".

Dan
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Connecting the Dots....

From the CDC web site:

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 USC § 264), the CDC Director may apprehend, detain, examine, or conditionally release persons believed to be carrying certain communicable diseases that are specified in an executive order of the president. This list of diseases currently includes cholera, diphtheria, infectious tuberculosis, plague, smallpox, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa, Marburg, Ebola, Crimean-Congo, South American, and others not yet isolated or named), severe acute respiratory syndrome, and influenza caused by novel or reemergent influenza viruses that are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic (executive orders 13295, April 4, 2003, and 13375, April 1, 2005).
From: The CFR allowing the CDC to "apprehend" and "detain" us:

(d) Apprehension and examination of persons reasonably believed to be infected:

(1) Regulations prescribed under this section may provide for the apprehension and examination of any individual reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease in a qualifying stage and

(A) to be moving or about to move from a State to another State; or

(B) to be a probable source of infection to individuals who, while infected with such disease in a qualifying stage, will be moving from a State to another State.

Such regulations may provide that if upon examination any such individual is found to be infected, he may be detained for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary. For purposes of this subsection, the term “State” includes, in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia.
This adds a new dimension to the standard question to a TSA clerk: "Am I being detained?"

'Makes me want to sneeze up a huge loogie if I'm ever confronted by a SPOTNik.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.