Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Scotland wants US pre clearance

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transpo...lers-1-2425767

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?id=2002453

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...+airports.html

Scotland wants US CBP pre clearance at Edinburgh and Glasgow Airport.

Seems more sensible than pre clearance at AUH, considering mainly US airlines serve Scotland-US flights....

From Glasgow
United to Newark 1-2 daily
Virgin Atlantic to Orlando seasonal
Thomson to Sanford seasonal
Monarch to Sanford seasonal
US Airways to Philadelphia seasonal

From Edinburgh
United to Newark 1-2 daily
United to Chicago seasonal (daily in summer months)
US Airways to Philadelphia seasonal
Thomson to Sanford seasonal

Edinburgh also used to get service to Atlanta and JFK with Delta, which was cancelled a few years ago.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I could see BAA trying to block this on the grounds that pre-clearance facilities in Scotland would siphon TATL traffic away from Heathrow & Gatwick.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:53 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Critic
I could see BAA trying to block this on the grounds that pre-clearance facilities in Scotland would siphon TATL traffic away from Heathrow & Gatwick.
Well, in a year or so, Scotland might not have to worry about that anymore...

...well actually they most likely still will. THe article seems to hint that the British government would be ok with it should the "studies" seem positive.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Definitely a more reasonable idea than doing it at AUH. On the other hand, would Scotland really be willing to subsidize such an operation to the extent that AUH is? I doubt it.

My thought is that it makes much more sense to divert resources to making US PoEs more efficient through increased staffing and programs such as GE and APC.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
My thought is that it makes much more sense to divert resources to making US PoEs more efficient through increased staffing and programs such as GE and APC.
So transfer the surplus TSO's to CBP, train them properly and put them at US border crossings?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: M&M, FB, Exec Club, SPG
The quoted press stories are all from mid-2012. Apart from speculation about the effect of Scottish independence, is there any actual up-to-date news?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:06 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Bluestar
The quoted press stories are all from mid-2012. Apart from speculation about the effect of Scottish independence, is there any actual up-to-date news?
Well it said the British Gov't was going to "study" it but I have not been able to find said study on The Google but maybe it is complete and out for viewing somewhere. Anyone find anything?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Isn't British govt considering US preclearance facility? Sure, why not? Lets do it!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
The local government has to subsidize the CBP operations and sign a litany of agreements of airports. Sometimes it can be a drain of resources especially when living costs are high in the UK
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerhog
Sometimes it can be a drain of resources especially when living costs are high in the UK
Bahamas and Ireland aren't exactly cheap either
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Critic
BAA is defunct having been broken up by UK competition regulators. Heathrow Airport Holdings owns GLA but not EDI or LGW.

To the main point, I seriously doubt a meaningful amount of LHR O&D traffic would detour to Scotland to clear USCBP, as if they were interested, they'd already be flying via DUB or SNN.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Isn't British govt considering US preclearance facility? Sure, why not? Lets do it!
Yes I read that LGW and MAN want a US CBP facility. I think the general view is that LHR is too big and has too many US flights to have a US CBP facility.

CBP preclearance needs to be somewhere with enough flights to the US to warrant but not too many. LHR has over 20 flights a day to JFK alone not to mention the other 21 (soon 22 with AUS) destinations in the US it has flights too.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
CBP preclearance needs to be somewhere with enough flights to the US to warrant but not too many. LHR has over 20 flights a day to JFK alone not to mention the other 21 (soon 22 with AUS) destinations in the US it has flights too.
This. Wherever preclearance exists, it is in a single terminal and usually a single area of that terminal. Save for the cack-handed mess that is FCO T5, airport terminals are normally arranged by airline rather than by destination.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:46 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
LHR has over 20 flights a day to JFK alone not to mention the other 21 (soon 22 with AUS) destinations in the US it has flights too.
YYZ has a lot more than that, and they seem to make it work.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
YYZ has a lot more than that, and they seem to make it work.
YYZ has some awful queues for CBP......Also do not forget the size of planes flying YYZ-US are much small than the A380s, 747s, 777s etc flying LHR-US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.