Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Former TSA Employees Move Into Mobile Apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

ARL Now Article

"Airside Mobile has already developed B4 You Board for Bethesda-based HMSHost, which operates restaurants in airports all over the country. B4 You Board allows users to order food delivered to their gate or place orders while in security to be picked up at the restaurant when they arrive. It’s already live in Chicago O’Hare International Airport as well as the international airports in Phoenix, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn., Sacramento, Calif., and Salt Lake City.

Miller, the CEO of Airside Mobile, and Tsao, the COO, met after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks while helping on security issues for the government. After eight years of working at TSA, the duo decided that while their work was rewarding and gratifying, they were ready to move on."

(Bolding mine)

There's one company I will never, ever patronize.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Finally! I just want to orders the foods. I think it is the right choice for me. I don't have go over there. It's very easy and is more convenient for me.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Spiff
ARL Now Article After eight years of working at TSA, the duo decided that while their work was rewarding and gratifying, they were ready to move on."[/i]
Good lord. Why would anyone ever admit to working for the TSA for that long and then proclaim that they found it "gratifying"? If they find groping and yelling at people for eight years so rewarding, I wonder if they're adding their "special sauce" to that restaurant order.

Now, if they had seen the error of their ways and admitted that in public, like a sinner confessing to his priest, I could see forgiving them and using their product.

But now? I will avoid that system like poison.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They apparently weren't clerks, but, worked in the HQ:

The two worked at the Transportation Security Administration and were key members of the team that invented the mobile boarding pass before leaving the agency to start their own company in 2009.
Grab a barf bag before reading this:

“Life in the TSA is tough,” Tsao said. “You’re ‘on’ 24/7. It takes a lot out of you. You’re constantly on guard.”

“There’s stuff going on in airports that would make your skin crawl,” Miller added. “It’s a tough, draining place to work, but it’s awesome. You have so many chances to impact people’s lives.”

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Good lord. Why would anyone ever admit to working for the TSA for that long and then proclaim that they found it "gratifying"? If they find groping and yelling at people for eight years so rewarding, I wonder if they're adding their "special sauce" to that restaurant order.

Now, if they had seen the error of their ways and admitted that in public, like a sinner confessing to his priest, I could see forgiving them and using their product.

But now? I will avoid that system like poison.
..Just pandering to get a big TSA contract someday.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
They apparently weren't clerks, but, worked in the HQ:
Even worse. To paraphrase Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour": I'd rather tell my momma I'm a drug dealer than admit I work for the TSA.

Grab a barf bag before reading this:
“Life in the TSA is tough,” Tsao said. “You’re ‘on’ 24/7. It takes a lot out of you. You’re constantly on guard.”
From whom? Each other?

“There’s stuff going on in airports that would make your skin crawl,” Miller added. “It’s a tough, draining place to work, but it’s awesome. You have so many chances to impact people’s lives.”
Barf.

I'm sure it's "draining" with all the molesting going on. And yes, you do get to impact people's lives by molesting children, stealing traveler's personal items, yelling, haranguing and wasting money and resources.

Now it makes some sense.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
The mobile boarding pass identity matching process does zippo to enhance security of the aircraft if the WEI screening is functioning. That they lose sleep over working on a project that fails to enhance security just proves what nervous nellies they are. Also puffing up their own importance.

If any of that project team continues to fly, being so fearful, they must surround themselves with 2 or 3 comfort animals to get them through the draining ordeal.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset

“There’s stuff going on in airports that would make your skin crawl,” Miller added.

I've been in the guts of more airport terminals than you guys ever dreamed of. Since the TSA has never caught a terrorist, I'm guessing you're talking about the infamous pet mongoose in CVG, or maybe all the rodents in PHL?

To paraphrase a John Wayne movie quote - "Life in the TSA is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."

Like this?

Because they worked for almost a decade together in the TSA, Miller and Tsao say they are uniquely positioned to develop (a U.S. Customs) app like this, which requires considerable buy-in from government agencies.

“This is right in our wheelhouse,” Miller said. “We know people, so it was easier for us to make this happen.”
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: TSA

I've been in the guts of more airport terminals than you guys ever dreamed of. Since the TSA has never caught a terrorist, I'm guessing you're talking about the infamous pet mongoose in CVG, or maybe all the rodents in PHL?

To paraphrase a John Wayne movie quote - "Life in the TSA is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
TSA was not created to catch terrorists. It was created to prevent another tragedy like 9/11
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
TSA was not created to catch terrorists. It was created to prevent another tragedy like 9/11
Actually, the passengers on UA 93, hardening cockpit doors, and ending the CONOPS of cooperating with hijackers have prevented, and, will continue to prevent, another "9/11." The tragedy is that We, The People, allowed our government to squander billions on the TSA, which is really irrelevant in the counterterrorism world.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which is ridiculous, given that lax gate security wasn't the cause of the 9/11 tragedy.

Do you enjoy repeating that lie?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Quote:

Which is ridiculous, given that lax gate security wasn't the cause of the 9/11 tragedy.

I think 60,000 of them enjoy repeating that lie.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:18 am

You're on a roll with misinformation, aren't you? Keep it up - the entertainment is priceless.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:26 am
Suspended

That lie is the only thing earning TSA employees a paycheck, remember.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:46 am

Okay, before this thread gets hopelessly stuck in the mud ... (okay, I know it's probably too late for that, but I'm a masochist ...)

It occurs to me that the two statements above are not incompatible.

TSA's website states more or less what eyecue states above, though with more flowery language. I have no reason to dispute that statement. At the same time, the statement by halls120 is also true; lax gate security did not cause or contribute to 9/11.

I think there is a disconnect between what TSA does and TSA's mission statement. But I'm not willing to assert that the disconnect means that the TSA mission statement is a lie; I think that's jumping to a conclusion.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled TSA-bashing ...)

Last edited by jkhuggins; Jan 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm Reason: typesetting
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

It occurs to me that the two statements above are not incompatible.
they are if Eyecue is implying that TSA could have prevented the 9/11 tragedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.