Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US to Canada and Back Same Day, Any Customs Issues?

Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, True Blue, Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Early Returns, Sky Miles

Hi,

I've been wanting to fly to Toronto from NY and back just to go an international flight for the first time (I know it sounds stupid), I finally found a good fare and want to book but am worried that I'll have problems at Canadian Customs explaining why I'm in the country, plus I'm 16. It would involve me flying non stop to YYZ then coming home on a connecting flight leaving 3 hours after I land. Do you think I'll have a problem clearing Canadian Customs. Btw not worried about US Customs cause Im in Global Entry.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
...you have never taken an international flight before, but you bothered to pay for Global Entry...?

Customs & Immigration in Canada tends to get very suspicious of quick transborder turns. Before my father retired many moons ago, he worked for a major electronics retailer in NYC, and had to travel up to Canada every week to supervise the print run of the store's weekly circular. He would typically fly up in the evening, get taken straight to the plant, get a couple of hours sleep in a hotel, then go right back to the airport to catch the first flight back to NY. He was stopped by Canadian authorities on more than one occasion on suspicion of either drug or currency smuggling, despite (or because of) only having the clothes on his back and his portfolio with him.

Also, the fact that you're underage will probably throw up all kinds of red flags. IMHO, it's not worth the hassle for some giant Toblerone and a passport stamp.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:30 pm

Short answer: don't do it.

Long answer: The Canadian Border folks usually look for three types of people: 1) drug runners, 2) people who try to circumvent paying for a work visa, 3) people who have committed a major crime (such as DUI, as mentioned ad nauseum in this forum). Chances are you do not fit any of those criteria....but proving that you do not would likely take a very long time, possibly even more than the three hours you have as layover time.

Having done the same route many times you are talking about, I will say from experience that there is little to nothing novel about going from NY to Toronto. Only differences are the speed limit signs, an extra 'u' in many words and the colour of the currency.

Unless you're a glutton for punishment, don't do it.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just do it. You are not breaking any laws. It will be an adventure.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Don't be scared of Canada

As a frequent traveller of "turns" from the US to Canada and vis-versa (sometimes in 30 minutes or less); you really don't have anything to worry about.

Custom agents are familiar with people doing mileage runs, getting a Canada entry stamp, etc. If your only reason to do it is for the novelty of it; then you're really not at risk for anything except a delay for them to check you out (including your luggage).

Just tell them the truth; make sure your family is able to take a call (as a minor they might want to verify you're not running away); and you'll have your first experience (although i'd agree with RunsWithScissors Toronto wouldn't be my first choice).
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG LT Gold, HHonors Silver
I flew LAX-YVR last year last year when I first got Global Entry just to see how it works. Had about 3 hrs in YVR. Told them the truth, I'm just trying out my Global Entry. Had no problem at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.